Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rat Terrier nail problem Please HELP

shumate
August 3rd, 2005, 07:11 PM
:usa:
Please I need some help, My vet is closed until tomorrow. We just got back form vacation and picked our puppy up from a friends that kept him while we were gone. On his back foot one of his claws look like it is partly pulled out like he got it cought on something. Very painful for him. I am wanting any ideas that would help him for right now. I don't want him to be in any more pain than he has to be in. THanks in advance!

StaceyB
August 3rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
Call the emergency vet to find out the dose of aspirin(I believe that is what is used for pain), if he is in pain. If there is an open wound, wash it out, put polysporin on and wrap it. Don't use any meds unless you check to see it is safe and get the correct dose. Some of them are dangerous but I can't remember which ones.(tylenol, advil, aspirin) If you call your regular vet, there should be an emergency # offered.

Karin
August 3rd, 2005, 09:06 PM
Try to wrap the paw close but not very tight. Is it a dewclaw?

Do not give any medication until you consult with a vet! Certain meds are lethal to animals.

If there is no bleeding this is not a life threatening emergency, please make him comfortable and see a vet asap.