Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jack Russell Terrier - He can't seem to raise his head above his shoulder line. HELP!

ilovemyjack
August 3rd, 2005, 01:47 PM
I have a 9 year old Jack Russell Terrier. And I love him very much.
I woke up this morning, and he was acting very strange. He could not go up the stairs freely or come down from it. It almost looked like he's back was hurting. After a couple of hours observing, I found out that everytime he would raise his head(getting up from lie down position/eating) he would squeal. Also everytime he sits it looks like he is in pain so he just lie down instead. The weird thing is, he was fine last night! He was very active. I'm taking him to see a vet tomorrow. Does anybody know what's wrong with him? or how to help him? It kills me to see him suffer.

Tigger
August 3rd, 2005, 02:26 PM
Take him to the vet today. Do not leave your dog suffering in pain. He could very well have seriously injured himself.

White Wolf
August 3rd, 2005, 02:59 PM
PLEASE bring him to the vet. No animal deserves to live in pain without help.

StaceyB
August 3rd, 2005, 03:16 PM
I would suggest calling your vet to see if they can make space for you today. I would go to a vet today if possible. Please let us know what happens. Dogs can usually push through pain to get around. Seeing as though he is not, I would only guess that something is seriously wrong and he may be in a great deal of pain.

twodogsandacat
August 3rd, 2005, 04:27 PM
Vet. Sounds painful.

SnowDancer
August 3rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Please take your dog to the vet today - even if you must go to an emergency clinic.

SnowDancer
August 3rd, 2005, 05:04 PM
I just noted that you are in Toronto. If you have to go to Emergency, I suggest the 24 hour clinic on McMurrich (just west of Yonge and a couple of blocks north of Bloor).

Cindyp
August 4th, 2005, 01:03 PM
You may also have vet check on White Shaker dog syndrome! My Jazzy was fine one day then next would hardly move or walk steady, quit eating and drinking not active at all, which is very usual for her since she is a wirehair fox terrier. She was on two types of drugs for a very long time, but now the relapses are getting farther apart the older she gets (4 years old now started when she was just about a year old). So glad I did not give up on her. Just a thought hope you find out the problem with the Vet. Cindyp

SnowDancer
August 4th, 2005, 03:07 PM
How did things go with the vet? I am sure everyone would like to know how your pup is.

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Yes, how did it go? :fingerscr

justncase
August 6th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Try to find a vet experienced in chiropractic(www.chiropracticforanimals.net or www.avcadoctors.com) and/or acupuncture( www.ivas.org)

SnowDancer
August 6th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Maybe she isn't coming back. I hate it when people ask for advice when their pets can't walk - there have been a few of late - mostly Dachshunds - and of course with my excessive experience with this horrible disease, it bothers me when people don't report back. Although her Jack is a Jack Russell, doesn't mean it wasn't disc related. I was expecting to hear of a referral to a neurologist and/or a trip to Guelph for her "Jack". I am also partial to dogs named Jack.

the gang
August 6th, 2005, 01:58 PM
where abouts do you live???? i have a chryo for my min pin?? good luck brenda