Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sam's at the vet

twinmommy
August 3rd, 2005, 12:00 PM
Hi guys.

One of my cats, Sam, is at the vet's right now. He has a HUGE distended abdomen. No diarrhea, no vomiting, still his normal self.

He is an indoor cat, quite old, and we've refrained from vaccs for about 2 years on my vet's approval.

He was checked out about six months ago for weight loss. Again at this time he was his normal playful, hungry, good natured self, but we did a bunch of tests and blood work and all of it was normal. He hasn't lost any more weight since then.

:confused:

He's in good hands, but I am pretty worried abut the little guy...... :sad: :(

shannon1233A
August 3rd, 2005, 12:05 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed, keeping you and Sam in my thoughts and prayers :grouphug:

kandy
August 3rd, 2005, 12:09 PM
****sending positive thoughts**** Hope everything goes ok!

Lissa
August 3rd, 2005, 12:10 PM
Oh no, poor Sam! I too am thinking about both of you. Please let us know how Sam's doing!

Good luck :pawprint:

Copper'sMom
August 3rd, 2005, 12:19 PM
Praying everything goes well for Sam! :grouphug: :fingerscr

CyberKitten
August 3rd, 2005, 12:42 PM
I hope Sam will be OK Twinmommy!! :fingerscr :fingerscr

twinmommy
August 3rd, 2005, 12:46 PM
thanks guys for the kind words.
I'll know more by this evening..many of the tests they are doing have to be "sent out" to be analyzed.

I'll keep you posted. :fingerscr

BMDLuver
August 3rd, 2005, 01:43 PM
Thinking positive thoughts for Sam! He's such a sweet guy.

Luba
August 3rd, 2005, 02:14 PM
We're here for you!! I hope all goes well, sending lots of hugs and pos thoughts. :grouphug:

twinmommy
August 3rd, 2005, 08:20 PM
Well, Sam's bloodwork came back normal, and the x-rays showed nothing more than fluid (which we knew) :confused:

By tomorrow we'll get the results of the fluid that they sent to be analyzed.
I hate leaving them overnight at the vets... :(

thanks for the warm wishes, guys, it means a lot.

Luba
August 3rd, 2005, 09:44 PM
Hey we're hangin in there with ya!! :fingerscr

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Aw, I hate it when they have to sleep over. I hope all goes extremely well. :fingerscr :grouphug:

chico2
August 4th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Twinmommy,lots of positive thoughts going Sam's way..hope he's ok today!
I too would hate to leave any of my cats overnight,but Sam will be sooo happy to come home afterwards..
I wish there was a way we could tell them,it's for their good and out of love they need to be at the vets :love:

twinmommy
August 4th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Hi guys.

Sometimes I don't have that much of an update, but I just want to give the little bits I get b/c I know you all are very sweet and very concerned. :grouphug:

He's not eating when I checked on him this morning. They expect the other results back by 3-4 this afternoon.

Hopefully, the not eating is just because he's there and not another symptom... :(

thanks again guys for the positive thoughts.

chico2
August 4th, 2005, 01:46 PM
TM,I think that's quiet possible,at least I hope so,strange food,strange environment.
I was hoping he was coming home today,but I guess it's better to get to the bottom of his problem.
To tell you the truth I was afraid to read what you had to say,but so far so good,right!

daddyg
August 4th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Hi there

I hope Sam gets well soon.

BMDLuver
August 4th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Oh dear, I've been running all day and hoped that the news would be that he was home and all was well. :grouphug:

Copper'sMom
August 4th, 2005, 08:19 PM
twinmommy, I hope everything is ok!?!? :grouphug: :fingerscr

twinmommy
August 5th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Hi guys

Sooo sorry for the delay, have been running all day...work, clinique-- Kids are sick--nothing serious. Sam is bad though.

They finally got the fluid back from the lab, and the cytology didn't pinpoint anything, but said that it was likely cancer or FIP.

The vet mentioned exploratory surgery, but he'd prefer if th antibiotics kicked in before operating--which they are not. :( I don't know as I would go that route, I need more time to think.

He's assured me that he's not in pain, so I brought him home for the time being and am spoiling him by giving him his favorite treats ("pizza" on an English muffin, and lots of baby food.)

He is the COOOOLest cat, I just wish he had more time.....

This is really hard

Thanks to Bmdluver for being a great friend.

Copper'sMom
August 5th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Oh twinmommy, I'm so sorry! :grouphug: No matter what you decide, at least you get a little time to decide on what to do and spend some quality time together. In your heart, you'll know what's best. :sorry: :grouphug:

Prin
August 5th, 2005, 11:00 PM
That is so sad. I know you will do whatever you can for this guy, and he is so lucky for that. :grouphug: :love:

Freyja
August 5th, 2005, 11:24 PM
:sad: So sorry to hear the news. My heart goes out to you.

Luba
August 5th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Oh dear so hard when they're so sick

I'm not sure what the antibiotics will do, unless there is a known infection. It will just decrease the immune system further.

If you are interested in a second opinion, get photocopies of the test results and current meds from your vet and consult a holistic vet.

I will keep you in my mind. :fingerscr

twinmommy
August 6th, 2005, 10:16 PM
k.

I'm grasping at straws, I know, but has anyone tried natural/holistic/homeopathic products.?? I have started our little buddy on a cocktail of Barley Greens and Chlorophyll.(both known for cancer fighting properties and immune system boost.) I was told that he's in no pain yet, so I feel that I could try this approach.....

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Have you tried this vet? He's one of the Drs here on the site and he was Jemma's vet before we got her.

Paul Guindon DMV
Clinique veterinaire Salaberry
Medecine conventionnelle et holystique
1895 Salaberry, Montreal, Qc. Canada
514-334-7280

twinmommy
August 6th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks, Prin!
I'll check it out. :)

Lucky Rescue
August 7th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Oh I'm so sorry!!:( Fluid in the abdomen is often bad news.

Can they, or have they, drained the fluid to make Sam more comfortable?

shannon1233A
August 7th, 2005, 09:44 AM
twinmommy, I'm so sorry, I'll keep you and Sam in my thoughts and prayers :grouphug:

BMDLuver
August 7th, 2005, 10:17 AM
You're very welcome Twinmommy! I hope that Sam continues to show some improvement at home. :fingerscr

twinmommy
August 7th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks for all the warm thoughts and kind words.
I am going for a second opinion, hopefully tommorrow, to a vet that practices both holistic and conventional medicine.
Paul Guidon is on vacation until Aug 15, too bad, I want to get things moving before next week.
I am a little disappointed in my vet's dagnosis (What diagnosis??) based on the ammount of testing that was done. Aside from that his set-up is tough for me to go to with the kids in tow so will try another vet.

I'll keep you posted.
Keep your paws crossed. :o

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Want to try my vet? He diagnosed Goldengirl's Champ's doggy Leukemia... He's a good vet.

Luba
August 7th, 2005, 09:16 PM
If I can make a suggestion. Get copies of your cats file with your vet even if you need to pay for the copying charges for them to do it.

Keep a file at home and make a secondary one yourself to take to your second opinion.

I'll be saying a prayer.

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Oops. It's not a dog? How insensitive of me. Sorry Twinmommy.

twinmommy
August 7th, 2005, 09:26 PM
heh heh heh none taken, Prin, it's an easy mistake--got 2 of each. :)

Luba--will do. Thanks for the prayers. :)

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 09:27 PM
If you have bottomless pockets, you can try the DMV too. They will certainly treat you well and figure out what is wrong. You have to have bottomless pockets though.

CyberKitten
August 7th, 2005, 11:28 PM
I am sorry Twinmmmy!! I wish I knew more aboutr natural diets - know they do well for humans - as an adjunct mind you. I am not yet willing to propose them as as only treatment tho. I agree that you really need a betterdiagnosis for all the tests poor Sam has had. There are some good cancer sites for pets online - I'll try to find them (and my friend's recipes).

Take care!!!!!! :grouphug: :grouphug:

CyberKitten
August 7th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Here are some pages:
http://www.zzcat.com/resources/nutrition.htm
http://www-cis.usc.edu/~laura/cats/cancer.html
http://www.oncolink.org/types/section.cfm?c=22&s=69
http://www-cis.usc.edu/~laura/cats/feedback_health_1996.html
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gehulme/progress.htm
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/acancer.htm
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/cancer/

One thing I have discovered is cats cope better with chemo - makes sense since they handle narcotics so much better too. Apparenty, with chemo, their whiskers fall out but not their fur. Awwww!!

I can prob answer questions about chemo meds but I have no great experience in how they affect kitties. There are board certified kitty oncologists tho!! And oh , if anyone sees a crazy woman driving a mobile MRI to Montreal, don't worry - it'll just be me, if you need it that is. ;)

My thoughts are with you and Sam.

twinmommy
August 10th, 2005, 12:13 PM
HI guys.

Thanks Ck for the links :)

Thanks to Bmdluver, we have gotten our hands on a great vet.

We are now dealing with a heart condition, with an added possibilty of a tumor. I had to change vets to get this diagnosis. My vet, whom I loved sooo much, basically "dropped the ball", gave me some Amoxil,(???WTH??I never gave it to him...for what????) and sent us on our way. :evil:

I am very angry about this, and trying to keep in mind that vets are human too and have crazy days where things get lost in the shuffle. Giving them a piece of my mind, won't help Sam any and I need all my energy for him right now.

He has been admitted to this vet's now as of yesterday, and starting meds for his heart, and diuretics.
We will know shortly how he responded to the meds and if I can bring him home, if he is more comfortable.. :(

Prin
August 10th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Twinmommy, I know vets are human, but I really believe that a vet should be able to say "I don't know," and refer you to someone who might be better suited to help. I don't think when they are out of their "league" they should start prescribing as sort of a trial and error thing.

I'm just glad your Super Kitty is getting good help. I hope he gets as "better" as he possibly can.. :)

twinmommy
August 10th, 2005, 12:30 PM
I agree. I'm just a little numb right now, and if he survives the heart condition--we got it in the nick of time. I even ASKED the other vet about a heart condition and he shrugged it off saying his heartrate was normal. :eek: :eek: :eek:
He probably still has cancer to deal with, but he'll be more comfortable once the diuretics kick in.

I just can't fuel negative energy for the other vet, b/c I don't have any to spare...have to keep things positive for Sam.

p.s. he's a cat, Prin!! :D

Prin
August 10th, 2005, 12:56 PM
LOL That's the second time!!! Geez!!! WTH is wrong with me!! Sorry. I'll edit.

chico2
August 10th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Twinmommy,sorry to hear about Sams heart and possible cancer,I believe the heart can be dealt with and lets hope there is no cancer :fingerscr
What made the vet think cancer?
I am hoping Sam will be ok,maybe the diuretics will do the trick :love:
The most difficult thing is to leave them at the vet,knowing they hate it,but maybe Sam is too sick to care :sad:
Hopefully he'll be back home soon :love:

CyberKitten
August 10th, 2005, 06:46 PM
:grouphug: I am so sorry to hear of this new complication but hope it isn't cancer and that in the long run, Sam will be OK. Amoxil for cancer - makes NO sense and you know it too I guess. I guess maybe he was thinking prevention from infection but still, that is a bit much when the diagnosis was not correct. Vets (and docs) should be able to be able to say "I don't know' or "here is someone who may be able to help you find out what it is."

Take care!!! :grouphug:

Hope the girls are feeling better!

Luba
August 10th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Geeze Twinmommy I'm so sorry to hear about this!

I will say a prayer and keep hoping for the very best
hugs to you :grouphug:

twinmommy
August 10th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Hi guys.

Just to clarify, the OLD vet prescribed the Amoxil basically on spec for presence of infection. He couldn't really tell me "where" so I didn't start them, after getting home and mulling everything over.

The new vet suspected a tumor, but is now running test for feline leukemia.

He is also repeating the bloodwork, it will be interesting to see if those numbers correspond to last week--or if more mistakes were made. :mad:

I have every member crossed that this is only a heart condition...but I realize that it is not likely.

One the up side, Sammy ate today. The diuretics are kicking in, so he is more comfortable and "has room" the poor thing.
Should know more tommorrow. :fingerscr :fingerscr

chico2
August 11th, 2005, 08:07 AM
I am glad Sammy is able to eat a bit,that's a good sign,right??
Feline Leukemia? One of the vacs we discontinued this year,was the FL,the vet said it's ok..it's really confusing :sad:
Hopefully some good news today :fingerscr :fingerscr :grouphug:

twinmommy
August 11th, 2005, 11:11 AM
oh, not to worry Chico about discontinuing that vax.

We vaccs our kitties against the viral form of leukemia and after a certain point your cats would show enough titers in their blood that the vaccine need not be repeated.

The cancer form of leukemia is similar to leukemia in humans, and we cannot vaccinate for this, sadly neither for humans nor cats.

Copper'sMom
August 11th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Good to hear Sam's eating and is a little more comfortable! :grouphug: Still hoping for the best for you!! :fingerscr

twinmommy
August 11th, 2005, 11:20 AM
:party: Great news guys!! Samm-o does NOT have leukemia!!!! YAY :crazy: :highfive: :thumbs up

We are still waiting to hear from the vet early this afternoon, but I spoke with the tech this morning and got those results.

Seemingly, he has a renal problem of some kind, and the blood work came back with many issues.(Doctor will speak with me on this.)

Good thing that this doc is on the ball and repeated the bloodwork although he had test results from my other, make that, OLD vet. (grrrrr.......very maddening)

I know not to post derogatory remarks or name my old vet for that matter, but could I post positive things about this new vet??? He will have saved Sam's life--if he continues to do well.

C'mon buddy. :grouphug:
Hope I have more good news later....maybe he can even come home!!!! :D :love:

Copper'sMom
August 11th, 2005, 11:33 AM
YAY!!! That's terrific!!! :thumbs up

Hannahbelle
August 11th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I'm so glad to hear the good news!!!!
I've been keeping my fingers crossed for you both.

I hope all continues to go well.... :)

chico2
August 11th, 2005, 01:16 PM
TM,it just shows how little I know.I did not even know there was a viral leukemia...but it makes more sense,since there is no vaccine for cancer... :confused: Oh well,must be my age..and all that :D

Way to go Sammy.. :thumbs up
It just shows,when in doubt about your vets abilitys,find another vet!!
I hope Sammy gets to come home and be spoiled rotten,after this scare :love:

BMDLuver
August 11th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Hi Everyone,
Twinmommy is unavailable at the moment and is very saddened by the final news for Sam. He is unable to return home, he definitely has cancer, his heart is regulated but his body is struggling to continue. Sam remains in good spirits but his body is weak. Twinmommy will be spending some time with Sam later today so that he may feel her love and companionship in his final moments. I just thought everyone would like to know. :sad:

shannon1233A
August 11th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Oh no, I've been following Sam's story. I'm deeply saddened to hear this. Please let twinmommy know that I'm so very sorry it has taken another turn for the worse :sad:

chico2
August 11th, 2005, 04:01 PM
That is terrible news,I thought Sammy was doing better.. :sad:
Please give twinmommy all my love and support,that is so very sad :pawprint: