Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dogs, wood floors, and ZOOMIES

jessi76
August 3rd, 2005, 11:54 AM
we finally got rid of our horrid carpet in our livingroom area. We figured since Tucker is now doing VERY well with going outside, it was time to ditch the carpet, and install a wood floor. It looks beautiful, however, now when Tucker gets the zoomies.... oh my... he's gonna break a leg. he's not used to sliding around, and literally looks like a cartoon dog, running in place before he gets a little traction to take off. then he gets going and slides around, loses his footing, slams into walls, furniture.... it's hysterical, but I'm thinkin it's dangerous.

I've tried to stop him mid-zoom... not a good idea. I either get knocked over (yes, by a 30lb puppy), or he thinks I'm playing and it makes it much much worse. The zoom episodes are getting longer too.. he zoomed around the house for a good 10 minutes the other day, the whole time I'm just moving stuff out of his path, or opening glass doors before he goes THROUGH them... :eek:

anymore of you watch your dogs slide around the house and crash into walls, furniture, people?????

shannon1233A
August 3rd, 2005, 12:01 PM
Yeppers, it's funny the first couple of times, then you think OMG, he's going to hurt himself. We replaced all our upstairs with wood floors last summer. Shannon would try to jump on the bed and again off, and she'd go flying. I figured out early on she could easily break something, so now, :sigh, my beautiful wood floors are covered in rubber back mats. :sigh all that work

Another problem I encountered with hardwood floors, is both dogs hate them when their nails get the slightest bit long. It's the tic, tic, tic when they walk on them they hate I guess and they walk like they on glass. Now that they have the mats, they seem to walk from mat to mat and try to avoid the floors. Handy for me though, I know immediately without looking if they need nail trims, lol

Bearsmom
August 3rd, 2005, 12:02 PM
Yes, frequently. Especially when they're in HOT pursuit of each other/the cat/ a bug....Fear not, they eventually learn their limits.

Copper'sMom
August 3rd, 2005, 12:06 PM
oh for sure!! LOL My little Zoodle is a zooming machine!! Even in small spaces!! Last night I was in the shower and she comes in with me. She hops in the tub plays in the shower and hops out again. Well.........she decided to do zoomies in the bathroom which is pretty small! She was banging into the walls and the tub! Copper was outside at the time and he started barking because of all the noise!! It was hilarious!

She often zooms around the house back and forth, back and forth! She's crazy!! Copper never did many zoomies as a pup though! So it is really funny to see Zoe do them!

jessi76
August 3rd, 2005, 12:24 PM
thanks!

I was beginning to think he was a bit "off" and should take the short bus to puppy school. why do they do it? (not that i think it's a problem to fix, just curious) I noticed he did it alot when he came in from "going" outside. but now, there's no rhyme or reason to it. he'll just get a crazy look in his eye... and LOOK OUT! funny thing is, my little calico cat does it too, after she uses the litter box.

gomez
August 3rd, 2005, 12:34 PM
Gomez does it when we get back from last walk at maybe 11 - midnight - he will zoom around the bedroom or hallway for about 10 minutes, then rest, and then go again, sometimes with a toy in his mouth - he even uses the walls as leverage to get around corners sometimes... very funny!

shannon1233A
August 3rd, 2005, 12:40 PM
hmmm, why do they do it, the only thing I can think of is it might be the same as when my grandchildren go down the slide, over and over, lol. Sense of freedom, outta control, who knows, but it looks like fun...maybe we should try it, going to put on a pair of heavy wool socks now, if I don't come back, you'll know I met the wall with unhappy results :evil:

Schwinn
August 3rd, 2005, 01:09 PM
Hmmm...so I'm not supposed to hid on Daisy around the corner when she's on the laminate?? :evil:

They learn how to cope. Daisy has taken the odd tumble, but then, so have I. Usually it's because both of us are acting like idiots.

Dogastrophe
August 3rd, 2005, 01:24 PM
Jack does this all the time, usually with Lucy or Monty in hot pursuit. He will try to turn the corner to get behind the couch which causes his back end to slide out from underneath while his rear legs continue to go at high speed. Extremely funny to watch.

Hope you enjoy you shiney new floors .... don't cry too much when the scratches start to appear (keep a section covered up so you can look at nice floors every once in a while!! :crazy: )

jessi76
August 3rd, 2005, 01:45 PM
Hope you enjoy you shiney new floors .... don't cry too much when the scratches start to appear (keep a section covered up so you can look at nice floors every once in a while!! :crazy: )

as silly as this is going to sound, we put the wood floor down with the pets in mind. We used a medium grade wide pine, knowing it will dent, scratch, warp (going for rustic country cottage feel)... Tucker is helping with that nice "lived in" look.

Dogastrophe
August 3rd, 2005, 01:55 PM
We've decided with ours to let the dogs put all the scratches on them that they want. When we go to sell the house we will price refinishing into the price.

melanie
August 3rd, 2005, 05:02 PM
it must look ncie,

but be careful, when charlie was a pup we had lino floor in the kitchen, she came zooming through and went straight into the stove, she hit the stove and the handle on the oven door hit her face, she jsut missed taking her eye out on the corner of it by half an inch if that, luckily she was a tiny bit taller that week or it woudl ahve been bad, and the silly little fool still has a big scar under her right eye from it 9yrs later, oh dear me...

but have fun, perhaps you could get him some grip shoes for in the house?? you could make some niceones :D

kandy
August 3rd, 2005, 05:08 PM
Although it may be funny to watch it isn't funny for a dog who has to have surgery to repair hip joints or torn ligaments. Dogs can seriously injure themselves sliding on slick surfaces. We have a couple of tile surfaces in our house that are covered with area rugs. Newfs have a particular problem with slick surfaces because of all the hair that grows between their toes and covers the bottoms of their paws.

On a lighter note, Hazel gets the 'zoomies' quite often and the rug that is on the back porch will go flying as she goes around the corner. She also uses the edge of the cupboards or the cooler (if it's conveniently located) to keep herself from biffing it. Our living room doesn't have any carpet right now, but the wood floor isn't very smooth. She has already crashed a couple of times when she includes that room in her zoomies. I can't wait until I get the carpet.

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Aw, Kandy. Always the serious one. :crazy: Somebody had to be the adult here. ;)

I love watching my doggies DIG their nails in our floors of the new house. We've always had wood with them, so they have learned how much nail force is required to get a good grip... Lucky we don't care about how our floors look... :)

There is a half wall separating the kitchen and livingroom and I love throwing stuff from one side to the other just to watch them accelerate. It's incredibly funny. Hey, we're our own landlords now! :thumbs up :crazy:

gomez
September 22nd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Gomez had a serious case of the zoomies this afternoon after his bath!

He went for about 20 minutes, all over the house, the 40ft long hallway, back and forth, I think he may have even thrown a sommersault in there!

WACKO.... :crazy:

StaceyB
September 24th, 2005, 07:59 PM
You can purchase non skid wax for puppys pads. It also conditions the pads and somewhat protects them from salt.

jessi76
September 26th, 2005, 03:00 PM
StacyB, thanks! That's news to me! can you point me in a direction for finding this so no-skid wax?? would a regular pet chain store carry it? or is it more of a specialty item? I'm quite interested. do you know any brand names? (may be easier to locate with a name)

jjgeonerd
September 26th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Gabby has gotten used to our wood floors. Unfortunately they haven't gotten used to her. We'll be getting them refinished when it comes time to sell. :rolleyes:

My next house will have tile. I absolutely hate carpet. :)

Zues is my baby
September 26th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Of course I do see that too. Zues is 5 months and he's a neo mastiff, weighing in at 61.5lbs when he goes down stairs there is soo much weight pushing him down he goes flying accross the basement floor. When he is excited to go out side it's even worse. I have seen him go sliding accross the basment floor right on his bum hilarioius stuff watching such a big puppy do this. After the sliding episode is done he has a very confused look on his face like why did that happen. :pawprint:

StaceyB
September 26th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Pet supply house. Paw wax

webstore, search, rd007

www.petsupplyhouse.com

chico2
September 26th, 2005, 04:05 PM
My cats get the Zoomies and it is fun to watch,the area-rugs are like magic carpets,great for transportation from one wall to the other :D
All three of them have different times for their crazies,needless to say no area-rugs stay in place long.
It's like they get a shot of adrenalin,or are seeing something not visible to the human eye :D
They always seem to have a soft landing :eek: ,but it could be a problem with a larger dog..