Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Goodbye

Mockingcat
August 3rd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Just wanted to post a quick goodbye message. I've had a lot of fun reading the forums over the past few months, but the new moderation and rules just strike me as a bit excessive. The moderators are all very nice people, and do their jobs very well (and I know it can be very unrewarding).... at the same time, it's hard not to feel stifled when more than one person not agreeing with a poster is considered an "attack".

As a more experienced pet owner, I don't use the forums to ask questions very often, but I did enjoy helping out new pet owners. Unfortunately, it now seems that if someone is doing something I don't agree with, I have two options: lie to them and say nice things, or ignore them, since even giving opinions is now construed as "attacking" someone.

Anywho, much luck with the board, and lots of love to those still here. :pawprint:

LL1
August 3rd, 2005, 12:46 PM
I hope you do not go.I do understand your frustration.

shannon1233A
August 3rd, 2005, 12:54 PM
Please don't go, try to think of it as maybe a growing period? Everyone here is human, even the mods, :D and maybe we're all just learning how to make it a better board, and hopefully, nothing in cast in stone?

CyberKitten
August 3rd, 2005, 01:51 PM
I feel exactly as youj do Mocking but I am still convinced the people who run the place will understand we are a community. I want to give it some time even tho it is very frustrating - am hoping it will get better. I was frustrated with that week from you know where and expressed my views then - guess I just lay it all out, it is who I am, free speech at al. But I do like the people here and think we are a community. I just do not think the extreme changes help - other more moderate mesaures would have worked just as well.

Please give us - the posters - a chance and if not, we can try to work something else out.

Beaglemom
August 3rd, 2005, 02:23 PM
I hate to hear of another board member leaving the site. Please don't go. I know that it can be frustrating sometimes. Many times I've stared at my computer trying to write a response in a way that would not sound as if I'm attacking someone. Sometimes, that is extremely difficult as no matter how we write, the other person will interpret it whatever way they want.

I feel like this board is similar to a family. Every family undergoes changes every once in a while and the members just have to adjust over time. But, family members do have disagreements and varying opinions that should be stated openly but in a respectful type of way without being degrading or without name calling. People are passionate in what they believe in. Some people just hate to be told that what they are doing is wrong. Some people just want others to agree with them and are not open to someone else's opinions.

The mods are doing a wonderful job. I do believe that the board has improved over the last little while.

Mockingcat, please do reconsider and stay. Your opinions are important and should be expressed.

Luba
August 3rd, 2005, 03:13 PM
It's awful you feel that way, please don't go.

I have to say I do as well understand frustration. There is monitoring and rules and then there is going overboard.

When so many people get together to talk/discuss there is bound to be problems here and there. We should not be afraid to speak our minds.

I did explain my feelings in the wolf thread, I don't know if I am one of the ones who was supposidly 'attacking' this person. But I believe in freedom of expression and my policy is what is best for the animals. To me captivity living in a trailer isn't plain and simple.

White Wolf
August 3rd, 2005, 03:14 PM
I'm sorry you feel you have to leave. I'm also sorry that you can't see this situation from our vantage point. We are doing the best we can, but we would never be able to please everybody on the board.

Writing4Fun
August 3rd, 2005, 09:39 PM
Mockingcat, I'm sorry you feel the need to leave. I hope you can come back after a little "cooling off" period. I know the atmosphere has changed a lot around here lately. I'm hoping it's transitional - although it's done a lot to cool down my pets.ca addiction, and for that, my children, my husband, my business and my remaining pets are all very grateful. ;)

Karin
August 3rd, 2005, 09:52 PM
I got mad last year, (I could use other terms but....) ...I left too. Circumstances unforeseen kept me away longer than I could stand for.

I wanted to speak my mind, sometimes I dared to. This board is here for everyone...I will try to be more out spoken like before, I have lost my voice in this department...not because of the moderators. If I get "spanked" by the mods for going out of bounds, so be it. It is not my place to argue for I am just a visitor here, someone else is paying the bills so I will try my best to conform and if I do get out of what line is drawn I expect a spanking and if just..okay. If not....well, thats okay too. I trust with enough people looking through these threads they also have good judgement also.

I learned way back when bout' lookin' that gift horse in the mouth......*southernese.*

White Wolf
August 4th, 2005, 12:15 AM
If I get "spanked" by the mods for going out of bounds, so be it.
For future reference, Karin, which do you prefer: wooden spoon or back of the hand? The new mods are still learning, and it helps if we have all the right tools. :)

Coldwetnose
August 4th, 2005, 12:28 AM
I am sorry you would rather leave than try to ride the wave. Mods are here to help everyone stay focused on the task at hand - mostly to support people with animals. Too often in the cyber world people take that priviledge and use it to speak their minds in ways they would not be so brave to say in person. It is a learning process for everyone and the newbies need to feel safe from judgement when they are simply here for help. So we are here to help ensure that the playground is a fun place for everyone to play - not just the bigger kids who have been in the neighborhood the longest and can spit the farthest.
It would be great if you could stay and help us create an even better board - one that includes informed opinions, good hearts and open minds.

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Personally, I feel this place is stronger than it was even a month ago. Most of those of us who are left are a closer-knit community, who are here really to help the beasties. We've gotten to know each other pretty well, I think and we do make a better team when we spread knowledge to people who ask questions. Sorry for the cheesy rant, but that is how I feel. I think we're better all around.
http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/6.gif

Luba
August 4th, 2005, 02:00 AM
My goodness all these new mods coming out of the woodwork or did some of you change names to confucious us ? LOL ;)

Maybe one of you can be called 'THE SPANKER' or wait I got it lmho...
'THE TERMINATOR' or uhm how about 'MODZILLA'

Oh it must be late .....now I'm getting silly! :clown:

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 02:09 AM
The Moderator.... oooh, how about Ahnuld?

Karin
August 4th, 2005, 06:31 AM
[QUOTE=White Wolf]For future reference, Karin, which do you prefer: wooden spoon or back of the hand?

Save a tree, give me the hand, lmao!

mona_b
August 4th, 2005, 10:12 AM
For future reference, Karin, which do you prefer: wooden spoon or back of the hand?

Save a tree, give me the hand, lmao!

Maybe one of you can be called 'THE SPANKER' or wait I got it lmho...
'THE TERMINATOR' or uhm how about 'MODZILLA'

ROTFLMFAO.

Sorry,but thats just wayyyyy to funny.... :D

Ok,on a serious note here.

Mockingcat,PLEASE don't go.I honestly and truely know your frustration.

I have at times been frustrated on here and had thoughts of leaving.Yes,we get into heated discussions at times,and we have our own opinions.Believe it or not,it's healthy.Does this happen in the real world?Yes.That's just natural.Am I any different with this on here then with my family,friends,coworkers,and the big kahoona(my boss),not at all.I am who I am.I have always taught my daughter to speak her mind and voice her opinions,and take a stand on what she believes in.And she does.Even with me.Do I get upset with her,not at all.And now at the age of 18,she knows what the real world is all about.And it's made her a tougher,stronger person,like me... :D

I agree the Mods are doing a great job.This site has toned down quite a bit.

She does have a point here.

I have two options: lie to them and say nice things, or ignore them, since even giving opinions is now construed as "attacking" someone.

What do we do?

If we ignore them,is that fair for us?

Schwinn
August 4th, 2005, 10:20 AM
My personal thought is I'll say what I feel is appropriate, and if a thread is closed or whatever, so be it. From what I understand, nobody is just banned without warning, and it's usually for something more serious that getting a little heated.

Whatever. I'm haven't walked on egg-shells, and so far it hasn't been a problem.

BMDLuver
August 4th, 2005, 11:18 AM
lol, I get royally pissed at some OP's posts but I tend to reread what I have written and try to not to go too off on a tangent. Some days I'm better at that than others. :angel: ;)

kandy
August 4th, 2005, 11:57 AM
I think the mods here are doing a great job. Although I am a big fan of free speech and all, I think that the mods are right in closing some threads. I managed a bar for a while and it's like being a bouncer - you don't wait for punches to get thrown before you break up the fight. If two guys are screaming at each other - you know that it's going to get ugly. If you waited everytime just to see if they are going to settle down on their own - you'd end up with broken furniture and blood everywhere. Sometimes they'll listen to you when you tell them to settle down - and sometimes you have to kick them out of the bar. And too bad if you were a spectator who didn't get to throw your own punch before it got broke up.

I agree with Schwinn - I haven't walked on eggshells and I haven't had any problems.

Luba
August 4th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I think walking on eggshells can be very therapeutic :p

mona_b
August 4th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I think walking on eggshells can be very therapeutic :p

Oh great,now you say this.And I have been wasting my hard earn $$$$$$$ on a shrink..... :(

twinmommy
August 4th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Oh great,now you say this.And I have been wasting my hard earn $$$$$$$ on a shrink.....

Just why do we call them shrinks anyways? What do they shrink? I think they do more stretching than anything else, no??

heh heh heh :D

mona_b
August 4th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Just why do we call them shrinks anyways? What do they shrink? I think they do more stretching than anything else, no??

They shrink our pockets......LOL...... :D