Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm gonna be a fostermom!

Prin
August 3rd, 2005, 12:14 AM
Tomorrow, I'm getting a foster greyhound! I was sort of a last resort because the original foster home was an apartment and apparently he cries all day... He's fresh off the track, so I'll probably have to put some meat on them bones... I just hope he gets along with Jemma and Boo. :)

the gang
August 3rd, 2005, 04:39 AM
good for you my older daughter has 2 rescue greyhounds off the track they are super dogs they get along great with my min pins all 3 of them the only thing is out side we can not let one of them out alone with the smaller min pin one to high prey but inside i have had all 5 in the house and it is fine good luck to you great bread.

LL1
August 3rd, 2005, 07:07 AM
Great news Prin!Wish there were more people willing to foster!

coppperbelle
August 3rd, 2005, 07:15 AM
Hi Prin

How exciting. It will be such a rewarding experience for you. A friend of mine adopted two greyhounds.

chico2
August 3rd, 2005, 07:57 AM
Awww Prin that's great,I hope they all get along..you know we need to hear how it goes,right??Pics would be nice too :D

BMDLuver
August 3rd, 2005, 08:08 AM
Greyhounds are such regal looking creatures. There was one up at the cottage a few weeks ago and she just blended in with the rest of the gang no problem. Good for you Prin for fostering one!

Lissa
August 3rd, 2005, 08:26 AM
Wow that's so great! I can't wait to hear all about him and see pics - I hope Jemma and Boo like him!

My friends rescued a retired greyhound, she's quite the character. They take her to the dog park (always on-leash of course) and because so many people want to ask questions about her she leans on them throughout the conversation so she doesn't exert herself too much! She also does the whole Petsmart-greyhound thing on saturdays!

I hope you enjoy fostering! I know a lot of ex-racers tend to need a harness instead of a collar because they can pull.

Melissa

shannon1233A
August 3rd, 2005, 10:17 AM
Congratulations, you'll make a GREAT foster mom! Of course, we expect lots of pics! How generous and loving of you, I'll keep my fingers crossed they all get along. Somehow, I think you'll swing it just fine! :angel:

SnowDancer
August 3rd, 2005, 10:38 AM
I will be interested in your updates as my vet is hoping that I will adopt a Greyhound Rescue. I am not too concerned about the prey drive as my dog is an Eskimo and while he only weighs 21 lbs. has all that hair so doesn't fit the profile. I am just concerned about not being able to pick up the dog and run and also how he/she would get along socially with my dog. I know they make excellent pets on their own - my kind of dog - a couch potato if one chooses. I did speak with some people at Woofstock who had attended with their rescues. One lady told me she couldn't go to the park as the Greyhound would revert to thinking he was in competition with the other dogs, but other than that all was fine. I have been trying to investigate 3 blocks over from me. There is a Golden who spends much of his time on the front steps with a dog bed, water etc. Then there is a Greyhound who spends the day behind a steel mesh fence in the driveway - no sign of cushioning blankets. Something seems very wrong with this picture. Have been trying to walk by "casually" without my dog (difficult due to his SA) so I could make subtle inquiries, but of course when I do make it, they aren't out. Keeping to the truth is the best way to get info and since my vet is extremely involved in Greyound rescue and does hope I will take a dog, that will be my reason for asking for the owner's opinion as to whether she would expect a problem with my Eskimo. I won't draw attention to the Greyhound's plight.

kandy
August 3rd, 2005, 10:43 AM
Bless you for opening your home to this dog. I don't have any experience with greyhounds but just wanted to say good luck! I'm sure he'll get along fine with Boo and Jemma!

Beaglemom
August 3rd, 2005, 11:13 AM
Congratulations Prin! I love Greyhounds!

They are wonderful dogs. They make great pets and tend to be more laid back than what people expect from these very fast dogs. They are content with sleeping on the couch and are known as the worldest fastest couch potatoe! They generally get along great with most other dogs. The only ones to be careful with are the smaller dogs and of course cats. Greyhounds can have a huge prey drive and chase smaller pets.

I'm sure you know this, but Greyhounds fresh off the track need a lot of work. Most don't know what stairs are and need to be taught how to use them. Everything will be a new experience for them because they have only ever known life on a track. They are already crate trained and leash trained, but need to learn everything else that comes with living in a family home, including all the different sounds and smells.

Prin, I think that it is awesome that you are willing to open up your home to fostering one of these magnificent dogs. Congratulations and I know you will make a great foster mom. The only thing is, I'm sure it will be very hard for you when it is time to give up your foster baby to its new family.

Please post lots of pictures!

BoxerRescueMTL
August 3rd, 2005, 11:22 AM
OOOhhhh Prin! That's awesome :) I hope to adopt a greyhound one day myself, so I'm excited for you!

Prin
August 3rd, 2005, 03:05 PM
Aw. There's been a delay. The current foster parents have from today till monday off, so they want to keep him and give it one last shot. Thank you for all your support.

I don't know what to root for... Do I root for the doggy maintaining his severe separation anxiety so I can have him till he finds a home, or do I root for it all to be resolved this weekend, so the current person can keep him till he finds a home? The lady from the greyhound rescue is not 100% hopeful that anything will change over the course of the weekend... I'm home for the month of August, so I have time to work with this beastie. (And we have no stairs ;) ...) Apparently he's really good in the house, aside from crying really loudly when you leave (which might be better with Jemma and Boo to keep him company).

We'll see what happens. I'll keep you all posted. In the meantime, aside from prey drive and skin that rips like tissue paper, is there anything else I should know? Anything that greyhounds have that other dogs don't?

Beaglemom
August 3rd, 2005, 03:15 PM
Too bad you have to wait a few more days. I'm very impatient so I would be very anxious for the days to go by quickly!

Many times a dog that suffers from separation anxiety is alright when there are other dogs around. It makes them feel more comfortable. So, maybe because you have Jemma and Boo to keep him company, he won't suffer from separation anxiety.

The only other things that I can think of regarding Greyhounds and any sight hound really is to never, ever leave them tied up unattended, even for a second. They are extremely fast and many have snapped their necks in this manner. Prin, I know that you wouldn't do this, but I thought that I would mention it just in case anyone else reading this wants a greyhound, whippet, italian greyhound, etc., is aware that they must never be tied up unattended. Also, greyhounds are prone to bloat. They can never be let off leash in an unfenced areas either.

Greyhounds are amazing dogs. They are very smart. Ex-racers are normally used to a schedule too. I love greyhounds and maybe someday will be able to adopt one as well.

Another thing is that most rescues will provide you with a martingale collar to use during walks as any other collar is really not suitable for greyhounds. They are able to slip regular flat collars off and chokers are a big no-no.

Lucky Rescue
August 3rd, 2005, 04:02 PM
Awww, I love greyhounds. Are you getting him from Shirley?

Greyhounds from the track are not used to being alone for one minute in their lives and are caged among a bunch of other dogs. Having a large crate for the dog to use might be helpful, as he'll feel more secure.

One thing about greyhounds I never knew until I fostered one is that many of them cannot "sit", due to the huge bunching muscles in the thighs. They either lie down or stand up.

They must have food and water bowls elevated in order to eat and drink, since they are so long-legged they cannot eat from ground level.

Ex-racers have also never seen any other breed of dog but other greyhounds and might react badly to different kinds of dogs.

Mine could not walk on any shiny or slippery surface. It can take awhile for some of them to learn this, as well as learning what stairs are, as has been said.

Dog Dancer
August 3rd, 2005, 04:20 PM
Prin what great news for you. Bet you want to keep him.... I don't think I could foster, I'd want to keep them for sure. You're great as always! Just a note on the SA issue. As I mentioned in other threads my Shadow has really severe separation anxiety and we got Halo to help her with that. It did not really help. Shadow still has to go to daycare and in fact won't even stay home alone for two minutes without making a ruckus if Halo is out. I know it's helped a bit, but didn't resolve the issue. But hey, good luck, if anyone can help this beatie (as you put it) it's you Prin.

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Yes, he's from Shirley. I think she didn't like the fact that I had two dogs already back in April or May when I spoke to her, but this bugger looks like he NEEDS doggies around. We'll see what happens in his current foster home...

Thanks for all the greyhound tips. I don't worry too much about bloat because I have a routine all figured out for Boo anyway. He is a gassy big dog so I am so careful with him.

As for leaving it alone outside-- NEVER! Boo is allowed outside alone, when I'm on the computer and I can see and hear him through the patio door... I also call him up every 3 or 4 minutes... I know the greyhound will have to be leashed all the time here- there are so many little animals- I'm just lucky that the yard is so tiny that he won't be able to see far away. If he does go after something, it'll be for about 10 feet...

I'm sort of glad I don't have him on Friday.. I am bringing my babies to the vet, and I was trying to figure out what to do with him while I go (never been to the vet with 3 dogs before..). But if he's staying over there till at least Tuesday, I don't have to worry...

This is just a thought but wouldn't it be better in a way not to get the separation anxiety gone yet? I mean they're going to teach him to think they will always come home, but this is a fosterhome-- one day, they won't come back, right? Won't that make him worse for the next home? Wouldn't it be easier to accomodate him for now and work on it in the new home? I'm not used to this intermediate home idea, so I don't know how they react to going to their forever home.

Oh- DogDancer, maybe a dog didn't help with your baby's anxiety, but keep in mind, my house is not that big, and I have 2... I think that wherever the doggy turns, there will be a doggy there to keep him company. :) Maybe. :o

BMDLuver
August 4th, 2005, 07:01 AM
This is just a thought but wouldn't it be better in a way not to get the separation anxiety gone yet? I mean they're going to teach him to think they will always come home, but this is a fosterhome-- one day, they won't come back, right? Won't that make him worse for the next home? Wouldn't it be easier to accomodate him for now and work on it in the new home? I'm not used to this intermediate home idea, so I don't know how they react to going to their forever home.
The separation anxiety may become less intense over time and diminish noticeably but when he is then moved to his permanent home he will most likely revert back to some degree. The benefit of the foster home is that as you spend time with them you learn what works, what doesn't and how to help his new family start off on the right foot so to speak.

Prin
August 5th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Yes but he might learn my tricks and adapt so as to protect himself from being fooled again... :evil: :D

I't s a long weekend already waiting to see if I have him on Tuesday... Have to keep myself occupied. :)

Lucky Rescue
August 5th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Shirley is a wonderful lady who does so much to help these beautiful dogs.

I think she's probably concerned about other big dogs in the home because greyhounds have skin like tissue paper and no body fat, so their skin rips and they get puncture wounds so easily it has to be seen to be believed! :eek:

Jackie467
August 5th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I hope he gets over his seperation anxiety. Greyhounds and Greyhound type dogs (IGs and whippets) are wonderful. I just love their personalities. After I leave my mom wants to get a retired racing greyhound. At that point we'll have all three sizes between the two of us lol.

A co-worker of my mothers adopted a retired race dog and he was actully afraid of the carpet :eek: ! It took them a long time to convince him to leave the cement basment and come live upstairs with them, but now you would think his paws are too royal to possibly touch cement lol :p .

As far as the paper thin skin you do have to be careful but so far with our IG and whippet we haven't had any probs and they play pretty rough sometimes. But then BJ has lots of fat because he is over weight (he's on a diet with the rest of us in this house lol) but Candi is just the perfect weight and so far so good about her skin taring. (knock on wood)

Prin
August 5th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Yeah, my dogs are nearly done their playing phase. They play with other dogs for about 5 minutes a week now... So I'm not worried about them touching the greyhound.

Shirley is great. She's a really nice person, on top of all the greyhound rescuing stuff... :)

twinmommy
August 5th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I'm a newbie to fostering, but my dogs were VERY well behaved when the foster was here. :eek: (come back!! foster doggie, come back!!) Of course, being a Leonberger(sp?) she LOOMED over them..hehe heh heh, but it was a wonderful experience that I will definitely have again.

Hubby was a little apprehensive, but we fixed him, right Bmd? :highfive:

Greys are so sweet, Prin, you are sure to have a wonderful time.

BMDLuver
August 6th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Hubby was a little apprehensive, but we fixed him, right Bmd? :highfive:

lol, the best way to break the hubby in slowly is make sure the first few dogs charm the dickens out of him. I think she did a very good job of that... phew! :thumbs up

BMDLuver
August 6th, 2005, 08:22 AM
I think she's probably concerned about other big dogs in the home because greyhounds have skin like tissue paper and no body fat, so their skin rips and they get puncture wounds so easily it has to be seen to be believed! :eek:
omg, I had no idea about that.

Toonces
August 6th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I did not know that either,

Prin I just bet you would make a great foster mommy! Just look at Jemma and Boo they look so happy and spoiled rotten, so if not this doggy perhaps another one will come your way soon.

Kudos to you for considering opening up your home to a dog in need, wish there were more people out there able to do so.

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Well, I really have no choice. I don't think I would be here if I didn't have my dogs growing up to take care of me, so it's the least I can do. I know it's not enough, but it's a start. ;)

Lucky Rescue
August 6th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Dogs coming off the track are at racing weight, so are very thin and usually need to gain about 5 or 10 lbs.

I was shocked at the many MANY scars on my greyhound until I learned about the tissue paper skin.

I took my dog out in my car, and just slightly sliding off the soft seat ripped quite a large strip of skin off his leg. :eek:

Normal, playful behavior from other dogs (just pawing or play bites) can cause ugly wounds on the skins of greyhounds.

This is a lousy pic from a cheap camera, but it gives an idea of the marks he had (and these are only a few) In fact the first person who adopted him didn't want him when he saw the scars and that's how he ended up with me!! :mad:

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 06:42 PM
People at my park were telling be about others who have been there with their racing greyhounds and they play and are alright. I don't really believe that, unless they're old and leathery. :D That's the only thing I wonder about. What do I do when I go to the dog park? Lately I've been missing all the people, so I'm there alone, so that would be ok, but if there are other people there, would it be horrible of me to leave him in the car? Or can I just keep him beside me? I can't go anyway until I get to know him. Tuesday is so far away, especially since I don't know if I'm going to get him for sure.

SarahLynn123
August 8th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I think if you go at quiet times you can keep him with you, he sure would feel left out watching from the car. There are a few greyhounds at the park we used to go to and they did great. You will have a better idea on what he can do when you meet him. From all your posts that I have read in the past you know pretty much every dog at the park you go to so you can leave when a rough wrestler dog comes in! It will all work itself out!

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 04:06 PM
I haven't heard any news yet. We'll see what tomorrow brings. :)

BoxerRescueMTL
August 8th, 2005, 04:22 PM
I can't wait to hear news!

Prin
August 9th, 2005, 04:06 PM
So they're going to try for another couple of days. They went to the vet today for some anti-anxiety drugs. They're going to try that, and then see what happens. Shirley is really surprised how accomodating I am, but I don't see why not. Every dog I have ever had has had separation anxiety, so I don't see it as an overwhelming problem. :) (Especially since this bugger doesn't chew! I'm so glad he doesn't chew!) I just want to help. :) Even if I have to wait a while.

shannon1233A
August 9th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Aww Prin, you are so sweet! You have a heart of gold not to mention a quick wit! :)

Prin
August 9th, 2005, 05:26 PM
LOL, if you don't have the blonde hair, you have to have something!! :D

shannon1233A
August 9th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Now I feel bad, I don't have the blonde hair, or the wit, but I've got lotsa wrinkles, and senior moments,.... I'll share? Or Trade? :evil:

Prin
August 9th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I'll trade. Which do you want, the good looks or the personality (can't have both)?? :)

BMDLuver
August 9th, 2005, 06:42 PM
I can loan you an interim foster? :D

Toonces
August 9th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Prin you have a heart of gold I can tell by your posts, just offering up your home to help a dog in need is more than most can do.

Prin
August 9th, 2005, 06:52 PM
LOL I WISH I could have an interim foster. :D I really want to help these greyhounds for some reason. It helps that she told me that she has never seen anybody really have a huge allergic reaction to a greyhound (my man has allergies), so it's FAR easier to convince the man to agree to it. :D It only took about 5 minutes of very subtle persuasion to get him to agree. Any other doggies and I don't think he would be so flexible.

They're also so sweet and deserving. :) And their heads are so narrow and they're so aerodynamic. Beautiful doggies who have had hard lives. :love:

coppperbelle
August 9th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Prin, I can understand your wanting to foster a greyhound. They are beautiful dogs and need to be loved.
If you really feel the need to foster I can set you up with a golden. :D

Prin
August 9th, 2005, 09:30 PM
My man would be soooo allergic to a golden. I don't think I would be allowed!! ;) Why can't you be involved in greyhound rescue too? :D

BMDLuver
August 9th, 2005, 09:35 PM
5 month old Rottweiler pups don't shed yet as they have puppy coat not adult! :D

Prin
August 9th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Hey!!! LOL I'm not for sale! :D I have to see if this greyhound needs me first. :) And rotties are not compact like greyhounds are. ;)

BMDLuver
August 9th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Lol, I'm just teasing you. Didn't want you to get foster gimme's yet! :highfive:

coppperbelle
August 10th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Of course I could foster greyhounds or rotties too but my experience and knowledge is with goldens. I must admit that I do have a love for the breed. My husband is very good about me bringing foster goldens home. I don't think I would push my luck with another breed.
By the way goldens only shed twice a year... for about 6 months each time. :D

Prin
August 10th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Lol, I'm just teasing you. Didn't want you to get foster gimme's yet! :highfive:
What does that mean? Doe sit mean that when I foster one, I'll start hoarding fosters? :evil:

Of course I could foster greyhounds or rotties too but my experience and knowledge is with goldens. I must admit that I do have a love for the breed. My husband is very good about me bringing foster goldens home. I don't think I would push my luck with another breed.
By the way goldens only shed twice a year... for about 6 months each time. LOL Jemma and Boo shed 4 times a year for 3 months each time. So it's not as much. :p

I didn't mean you should foster greyhounds, but if you were going to pass me a foster, the least you could do is pass me a greyhound!! :D

Puppyluv
August 10th, 2005, 02:15 PM
By the way goldens only shed twice a year... for about 6 months each time. :D

LOL that's what we used to say about our dalmation :D

coppperbelle
August 10th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Sorry Prin, misunderstood the greyhound fostering part. LOL

BMDLuver
August 10th, 2005, 03:27 PM
What does that mean? Doe sit mean that when I foster one, I'll start hoarding fosters? :evil:

Lol, foster gimmee's are what we refer to as a new foster, that has decided to start fostering, and then we don't have a dog for them yet. They'll call to see if one is coming up, etc... So sometimes we say "so in so, has the foster gimmee's". It's not a bad thing.

nymph
August 10th, 2005, 04:56 PM
http://www.magma.ca/~greyken/planetday.htm

WHEN: September 18, 2005
PLACE: Andrew Hayden Park (near the band shell) 3127 Carling Ave.
TIME: 10:00am to 3:00pm

What is it?

Greyhound Planet is a time chosen each year to honor the Greyhound and its relatives (Galgos, lurchers, etc.) throughout the world. The purpose of this international event is to raise the public's awareness of the wonder and magic of Greyhounds as pets, educate others on the current status of Greyhounds around the world and to honor those Greyhounds who have left us already. The American-European Greyhound Alliance is serving as an information source for individual groups around the world as they plan their Greyhound awareness events. Please join your local group in celebration and remembrance of our wonderful hounds on Greyhound Planet's fourth annual event, September 12 - 18, 2005.

The fourth Greyhound Planet will be celebrated internationally between September 12 and September 18, 2005. International awareness is making this celebration of the greyhound dynamic, wide ranging, and inclusive - connecting many, many people and their greyhounds.

The greyhound adoption movement in North America has burgeoned in the last decade and adoption groups have also been established in Britain, Australia, Ireland, Norway and Spain. This Greyhound Planet Day commemoration began as the idea of a Kansas City greyhound adopter, Therese Skinner and the idea found a home with the American-European Greyhound Alliance (www.ameurogreyhoundalliance.org). Greyhound Planet Day is being celebrated by greyhound advocates sponsoring events across the United States, Canada, Britain, Ireland, Norway and Australia.
Where?

Join us at Andrew Hayden Park and meet some retired racing Greyhounds up close and chat with their adoptive families. Learn more about these canine athletes, share some BBQ, hang out and have some fun.

Who am I helping?

Funds raised at the first National Capital International Greyhound Planet Day will go to support the work of 1) Greyhound Adoptions of Florida, a non-profit organization that is comprised entirely of volunteers so that all donations go directly to the rescue, rehabilitation and placement of greyhounds in their care. 2) S.O.S. Galgos of Spain that is dedicated to rescuing retired racing greyhounds, providing them with safe shelter and veterinary care, and promoting their adoption into qualified homes. 3) Adopt a Greyhound of Central Canada is a non-profit greyhound adoption organization dedicated to finding the best quality pet homes available for retired racing greyhounds.

What to expect?

Walkathon

The first event of Planet Day will be a "sponsored" Greyhound Walk around a 5 kilometer course at Andrew Hayden Park. Participants will be asked to seek pledges for the walk in support of the many activities and projects being supported by International Greyhound Planet Day.

Greyhounds and their Relatives

This booth will have illustrations and information on greyhounds and many of their close relatives. If you are interested in sight hounds, this is a must stop.

Veterinary Information Session

Dr Wade Wright and Dr. Daren Auger of Blair Animal Hospital will give a talk on taking care of your greyhound. Two of the most knowledgeable veterinarians in the National Capital Region on Greyhound health care, both Drs. Wright and Auger are in regular contact with veterinary professionals all over North America, and are current on illnesses that particularly affect the retired racing greyhound.

Display Booths

Several display booths will be on-site to showcase dog-related items. This includes dog collars (both martingale and buckle styles), dog necklaces and collar blings, cold weather gear for the greyhound and other canines, and other greyhound accoutrements.

Information Booths

Visit Chrisí Corner (Chris Seed of Adopt A Greyhound of Central Canada) to ask about greyhounds and greyhound adoption. Drop in at the Find-A Grey booth to learn about this greyhound "lost and found" initiative. You can even fill out the Greyhound Registration Form and have your hound's picture taken while there.

Rainbow Bridge Memorial

Light a votive candles in memory of a beloved pet or pets that have passed away.

Face Painting

Have your face painted with a greyhound silhouette in support of retired racing greyhounds around the world.

Food & Music

There will be a BBQ on-site, so bring the whole family and enjoy a musical and fun-filled picnic at beautiful Andrew Hayden Park.

For additional information please contact:

Laura Simmermon or Winston Gomes
Telephone: (613) 823-6500
Email: Planet Day Ottawa

Thank You

The Greyhound Supporters of the National Capital Region wish to thank the many sponsors of International Planet Day 2005. They include:

Barrhaven TD Bank