Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Male Dog Frequent Urination

jawert1
August 2nd, 2005, 08:28 PM
Hi All! The last time I posted was for my female Shepherd, this one is for my 4 year old male English Pointer (neutered AGES ago). Simon has started to urinate a lot, only one accident in the house thus far, and his water intake has also increased. By a lot I mean 4 stops with what would seemingly be a full unload of his bladder in a 10 minute walk around the block. Now it's been bloody hot in VA, and he's not showing any other symptoms - no limping, no whimpering when urinating, no lethargy (he's bouncy as ever), no nothing other than sheer volume (I'm not kidding, it scares me) so I'm stumped. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated and we have our regular vet check up end of the week, so that base is covered regardless. Thanks all and have a wonderful day!
Cheers

the gang
August 2nd, 2005, 08:56 PM
good luck at the vet, my last rescue f. min pin started to drink alot of water she was a dibectic and we did not catch it in time she passed away dec so ask lots of questions and once again good luck.

StaceyB
August 2nd, 2005, 09:46 PM
Any time you are worried, or a dogs normal behaviour changes, always take to the vet. You know your dog best. There may be a health reason for increasing water intake, but naturally this would increase urination.

Shaykeija
August 2nd, 2005, 10:09 PM
Is his pee yellow? When Shayker was alive, she used to drink a lot of water and pee up a storm. But her pee was almost clear. Unfortunately she was diagnosed with acute renal failure and I lost her at 14 months of age. It would be a good idea to take your dog to the vet ASAP. Unfortunately Shayker was born this way and was dying from the day she was born. :sad: A simple blood test can rule out lots of nasty stuff. Perhaps your dog just like leaving a lot of PEE MAIL around for his doggie buddies. :p .. Let us know how you made out.

jawert1
August 3rd, 2005, 07:28 AM
Hiya everyone, well it was a long night, I decided it best not to wait and went to the emergency vets. His blood work turned out everything was normal, no diabetes, no kidney issues, no blood parasites. His urinalysis turned up a slight elevation in white cells, but no bacteria present. The vet gave me antibiotics for him just in case and we're keeping our later in the week appointment. Thus far this morning, he's his normal pointer self, minus the large quantities he just expended on our walk. Thanks for the advice and happy tails to everyone!

shannon1233A
August 3rd, 2005, 09:30 AM
:) :) :) Yeaaaa, THANKS so much for taking him in and coming back with the update! Hope to see more of you! :angel:

kandy
August 3rd, 2005, 12:03 PM
I'm so glad he's okay. When I started to read this thread, my first thought was OH NO! Kidney problems! I lost an 18 month old newf to total renal failure from a kidney deformity. She was also dying from the moment she was born.

jawert1
October 21st, 2005, 04:29 PM
well, I hate to have to reopen this one since I thought we'd nipped it, but here goes. Simon was just at the vet's after a strange and perplexing few days here at home regarding his urinary habits and incontinence (it hit critical mass last night). No stones showed up on the x-rays, no lumps, bumps, twists, masses, inflammation, etc. His urine has a base Ph of 9 (should be 6.5 or thereabouts), which is the only anomaly pending further cultures that could be found. So my question is this, beyond changing his diet (pending vet confirmation of urine culture), is there anything I can do? His food has not changed since he arrived at the shelter in 2002 and I adopted him in Dec. 2003. Could food related problems take this long to manifest? We're all at a loss here but thankfully surgery is not needed of yet. Thanks everyone and happy tails!

Prin
October 21st, 2005, 04:35 PM
Has he been tested for diabetes?

jawert1
October 21st, 2005, 04:44 PM
Yep, 3x now and each time turns up negative :(

Prin
October 21st, 2005, 04:48 PM
And he's not on cortisone or anything? Could he just have an obsession? Jemma drinks when I'm not home... Her version of separation anxiety.

jawert1
October 21st, 2005, 05:08 PM
Nope, not on steroid treatment and while he's obsessive about some things (his one canvas squeaky bone for instance), it's never transferred over to food/water. The vet seems to think he's got the beginnings of crystals, but we'll know more when the full battery of tests come back :/

jawert1
November 9th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Well Simon's ACTH test on Monday came back completely normal. I know this is awful, but I was almost hoping that we'd at least come away from this last round of tests with something conclusive. His urine pH on Friday was 8.5 and specific gravity 1.0003 (as close to water as possible) and he'd dropped 4 pounds in 6 weeks. All 4 vets in the office have now looked at him, his bloodwork, his urine samples, his test results and they're all baffled. He's now on Hills Prescription Diet c/d, which I find utterly revolting, but his urine color is more yellow than clear. I suppose I'll see the diet angle through for a few weeks if nothing else, given that his temperment hasn't changed a bit (still spritely and springy and pointy). Sigh :confused:

jawert1
December 14th, 2005, 03:00 PM
So my vet calls me today after I dropped a urine sample for Simon off this morning (had to take Peaches in - she wouldn't leave one of her ears alone - turned out to be nothing) and his urine is now a pH 6 (YAY!) but still dilute (specific gravity of 1.016) which is better than what it had been prior. Now the whole reason for me chasing my dog with a pill bottle this morning came from a follow up after being on the crap prescription food for a month. Thing is, the food hasn't really helped other than his bilirubin count is now mid-high and turn him pink (flushed) directly after eating it. So the vet gave me the go ahead to change him back to his regular food. However I'm wondering, should I add cranberry to his diet? I take it myself in the powder form and the vet really didn't know how to answer that (she's also not the type to suggest costly meds just to hit a bottom line). I've seen other acidifying powders (I think Prin or Puppyluv sent me a link before) but would like to go as natural as possible. He's also going to be on meds for incontinence since that's still happening on his bad days, so I want to keep his chemical intake to a dull roar. Thoughts?

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Well, it wasn't me who sent you the link, but crans might help acidify more. It's worth a shot, I'd say.

Jazzmanian
December 14th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Sounds a lot like my Beagle.

She drinks tons it seems. After multiple blood tests, x-rays, and urine samples, all the vet has been able to find out of normal is high calcium level in urine. Is this similar to or the same as hi PH ?

We are just finishing a test of hormone treatments, and we'll see what tests the vet wants next.

I'm gonna keep watching this thread in case anyone posts more info.