Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

6 year old lab not acting normal.

kentguard
August 2nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
Our male lab has been acting strange for the last few days.
He has been shaking/quivering.
He has also been panting quite a bit. I know its summer but we have central ac and the house it quite cool.
He also seems to be off his food lately although it is not abnormal for him to skip a few meals once in a while.
I took him for a walk earlier and he seemed normal at the time he peed and took a dump and walked in the stream for a bit.
He seems hesitant to jump up on the bed, but when the doorbell rings he sprints to the door.

Anyway its the panting and shaking that has gotton me so worried.

Any ideas?

Karin
August 2nd, 2005, 09:15 PM
Please take him to your vet. Any time your pet diplays abnormal behavior, strays from the norm...he's trying to tell you something. Excessive panting can be a sign of pain and discomfort.

Luba
August 2nd, 2005, 09:31 PM
Vet appt asap could be very serious

kentguard
August 2nd, 2005, 09:36 PM
He's got an appointment tommorow am. That was the earliest I could get him in.

StaceyB
August 2nd, 2005, 09:46 PM
Please let us know what happens.

Luba
August 2nd, 2005, 09:53 PM
Myself I would go to an emergency clinic if the dog is showing signs of shock as you indicate.

kentguard
August 2nd, 2005, 10:39 PM
Myself I would go to an emergency clinic if the dog is showing signs of shock as you indicate.

now I am really worried.
my wife is working till late out of town and we have an 18 month old baby who is in bed right now. my wife has the seat in her car so I can't take him right now.

what could have caused the shock if that is what it is?

Luba
August 2nd, 2005, 10:56 PM
I can't tell you but if your dog isn't shaking from something like a thunderstorm or from something like firecrackers and it's not a Chi that would shake all the time anyway then you should be worried.

It could be a number of things but what pops into mind is possible poisoning, renal failure, pancreatitis, cancer....sorry but the list goes on.

What do the eyes look like and what is the behaviour? Whats going on with the dog right now?

StaceyB
August 2nd, 2005, 11:00 PM
Is the shivering happen when the dog is awake or sleeping. What does it look like?

kentguard
August 2nd, 2005, 11:10 PM
right now he is lying on the couch. he just looks tired really. His eyes look normal. he has not shivered or panted for quite some time. His paws do not feel cold or anything so I think his circulation is fine.

he has the same sort of shiver when he is scared of something like a loud noise.
it was when he was awake.

StaceyB
August 2nd, 2005, 11:35 PM
Take to vet in morning.

Luba
August 2nd, 2005, 11:38 PM
Be very careful monitor him through the night, you may be up to check on the baby as well so check on the dog too.

My dog got very ill very very fast with these very same symptoms.

Do not give any food until you see the vet.

kentguard
August 2nd, 2005, 11:39 PM
i am trying to get a sitter so I can take him to an emergency vet tonight.

its about 45 minutes away though.

Luba
August 2nd, 2005, 11:40 PM
You know your dog best

If his behaviour is unusual then respond to it. Dogs often do not show signs of pain until it's very serious.

kentguard
August 3rd, 2005, 12:41 PM
according to the vet he was in pain because of a pinched nerve in his spine. his head had restricted up and side to side movement. They gave him a muscle relaxant which helped him really quickly

i have to take him to his vet to get another xray taken. the emergency vet was unable to give him an x-ray with him on his back as he does not cooperate and will need to be sedated.

the side view xrays showed a potential problem with the shape of one of the vertebras but it was close to the ribs and shoulders and was difficult to see from the side view.

going to buy a harness today, no more collers for this guy.

Luba
August 3rd, 2005, 12:44 PM
WOW you must have a great vet!!

How'd they figure out the pinched nerve so quickly.

Yes harnesses are wonderful ideas, it's all I use for my girl.

You must also be relieved. Look into chiropractic treatment for your dog and water therapy, you will be glad u did :D

kentguard
August 3rd, 2005, 04:42 PM
She was great. He is not 100% today but he is not showing the same signs of discomfort that he was yesterday. I took him to his regular vet today and he told me to monitor him while on the metacam and after he gets off it next week.

I hope for his sake that it does not reoccur too often. I suffer from pinched nerves in my back and neck and its very painful.

ILoveMutts!
August 3rd, 2005, 05:47 PM
How does a nerve get pinched? Is massaging the spine useful to prevent this condition?