Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Severe Plane Crash Toronto Pearson Airport

Luba
August 2nd, 2005, 05:02 PM
Air France Jet skids off runway Toronto

Could be full passenger list 300 people could be on board

Jet coming in for landing ran into some form of trouble, ie lightning during a thunderstorm.

Burst into flames, passengers on board. Still burning, emerg crews trying to get under control.

No info on injuries/casualties or survivors at this point.

Beaglemom
August 2nd, 2005, 05:04 PM
I just heard about this. I really do hope that everyone is alright.

Luba
August 2nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
Airport authority reports 2 busloads of survivors
no count yet.

Luvmypit
August 2nd, 2005, 05:17 PM
I pray that everyone gets out ok.

The thunderstorm that just passed was pretty severe.

Luba
August 2nd, 2005, 05:20 PM
Yes it was bad wasn't it!

Did you get that big crash too? WOW scared the pants off Sadie.

Luba
August 2nd, 2005, 05:27 PM
If anyone is interested it's on CNN and CP24

www.cp24.com for audio/video feed

twodogsandacat
August 2nd, 2005, 05:52 PM
Two bus loads only equates to about 80 people. The plane is capable of up to 305 passengers. Let's hope she wasn't fully loaded.

So far the news seems good - there may of been angels on board. :thumbs up

pags
August 2nd, 2005, 05:55 PM
Ew how awful. I hope we hear some miraculous survival stories. Eek. :eek:

Luba
August 2nd, 2005, 06:04 PM
Air France just reports NO CASUALTIES but a few injuries

YIPPIE :D

pags
August 2nd, 2005, 06:09 PM
Air France just reports NO CASUALTIES but a few injuries

Oh that's FANTASTIC!!!!!

CyberKitten
August 2nd, 2005, 06:51 PM
It is truly a miracle and a credit to the flight crew that everyone survived that crash!! Those crew members and the staff of the airport are heroes!

raingirl
August 2nd, 2005, 07:32 PM
A friend of a co-worker was driving by the location just as it happened. He called our office, and we all knew about it before anyone else did. The guy stayed on the scene and helped people running out on to the 401. In fact his van was on the news the whole time!

Thank goodness everyone was ok!

Took me 2 hours to get home to Brampton though!

Karin
August 2nd, 2005, 09:37 PM
It is truly a miracle and a credit to the flight crew that everyone survived that crash!! Those crew members and the staff of the airport are heroes!

Credit where credit is due...you will see later that the pilots had very little control AFTER they overshot the runway. This will be a clear case of "pilot error"....not just for overshooting but the main reason is they had no business attempting a landing in the present weather conditions. The pilot in command has final say and he should have declared a missed approach and gone to his alternate airport no matter how pissed off his passengers & bosses would have been. 100% pilot error....the pic could have killed everyone . Keeping to schedules and gethomeitis will get you dead quickly.

And yes, I'm happy to see everyone is going to be okay. Truely a miracle.

Karin
August 2nd, 2005, 09:50 PM
I need to add...this accident came on the 20th anniversary of the terrible crash of Delta FL191 at Dallas/Ft. Worth. I was working at Skytel Aviation at Ft. Lauderdale Executive airport. This flight originated at Ft. Lauderdale Int'l airport. My bosses wife, Katherine Wilson was on board and died.
This accident paved the way for doppler radar...there is no excuse today for flying into adverse weather. ( Really never has been an excuse ever anyways)

CyberKitten
August 2nd, 2005, 10:01 PM
raingirl, was his the white van a few vehicles away from Corey Marx's car? (just curious -I discovered tonite my ex sil (and still a friend) was on the flight. She was uninjured tho - is in great spirits tho she lost all the great buys she got in Paris- she is a consumate shopper- but she is alive!! That's the most important thing!!!

Prin
August 3rd, 2005, 12:06 AM
I'm just shocked that a super breaking-news story had no deaths. It's a great ending to what could have been a HUGE tragedy. It really bothered me because these people were coming from Paris... I mean, I think of Paris as a place to get away, a place to have fun, and then the people leave this romantic place and crash. For some reason, the thought in my head is that all the people on the plane were happier than on other planes (like the commuter ones from here to TO, where it's all crabby businessmen). I'm just glad they all got out ok. :)

CyberKitten
August 3rd, 2005, 01:56 AM
I think your notions about an 8 hour flight are too rimantic Prin, :) WEhen I have arrived on flights like that - from Paris - I feel exhasuted!! I just want to sleep, not crash!!

Bearsmom
August 3rd, 2005, 09:37 AM
My worst nightmares came true yesterday.

The emergency reponse to this site included fire (Mississauga Fire Department); tanker trucks from Caledon and Brampton fire to supply water; ambulance; police; emergency measures offices; communications from ALL emergency services, etc etc etc. All of us who responded worked incredibly smoothly to keep the interest of public safety first and foremost.

Keep also in mind that before the plane crashed, there were 4 working house fires in Brampton and Mississauga, flooding, and fire alarms up the wazoo.

I have never been so tired in my life.

Beaglemom
August 3rd, 2005, 10:16 AM
I'm so glad that everyone is alright. It truly is a miracle that nobody was killed or seriously injured.

It also took us 2 hours to get into Brampton since they had to shut down the 401. All other possible routes were backed up. We ended up having to stop for dinner.

I'm just glad that everyone is alright. It could've been a lot worse. The emergency response time was incredible. Everyone did a fantastic job in getting all the passengers to safety and preventing an even bigger tragedy. Bearsmom, I must commend you and all the emergency response personnel for a job well done!

kandy
August 3rd, 2005, 11:03 AM
MSN says that the plane was hit by lightning and had lost power. They are saying that is why the plane went into the ravine. I was so relieved to read that all 309 people on board survived and only 24 injured. Someone was looking out for those people! :angel:

Luba
August 3rd, 2005, 12:14 PM
I only hope there were no furry lives in the cargo area!

Bearsmom
August 3rd, 2005, 12:41 PM
MSN says that the plane was hit by lightning and had lost power. They are saying that is why the plane went into the ravine. I was so relieved to read that all 309 people on board survived and only 24 injured. Someone was looking out for those people! :angel:

No, it wasn't struck by lightning.

Rita
August 3rd, 2005, 01:16 PM
I would like to give you a pat on the back for a job well done putting that enourmous fire out. :highfive: :thumbs up :grouphug: :angel:
I was simply amazed that there were no casualties :eek:

Bearsmom
August 3rd, 2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks, it was a huge team effort!!!

CyberKitten
August 3rd, 2005, 01:41 PM
Are you a forefighter - emt Bearsmom? Good for you and thx for doing such great work!! When I just read "someone was looking out for thos ppl", I thought "yep - Bearsmom and others like her apparaently". :thumbs up Bravo!!!

Bearsmom
August 3rd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Firefighter, not an emt.

doggy lover
August 3rd, 2005, 08:00 PM
God must have been watching over that plane last night, I'm glad everyone was ok.

Luba
August 3rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
YAY Bearsmom :D

Karin
August 3rd, 2005, 09:27 PM
High Fives Bearsmom! Kudos...you have a very tough job, I could never amount to what is required for your job....I cannot even fathom it.

This accident should have never happened.

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Yeah, that's the trouble with lightning. My man's going on a plane in about 4 hours... I hate it. He goes on those tiny sessna's with the kamikaze pilots... (there's no smiley for scary -- oh here: http://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/4.gif)

Thank you Bearsmom for being braver than the rest of us. We need more people like you in the world. :) :grouphug:

Karin
August 4th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Yeah, that's the trouble with lightning. My man's going on a plane in about 4 hours... I hate it. He goes on those tiny sessna's with the kamikaze pilots... (there's no smiley for scary -- oh here: http://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/4.gif)

Thank you Bearsmom for being braver than the rest of us. We need more people like you in the world. :) :grouphug:

Give me a Cessna any day, they glide better than a Boeing or Airbus.

Lightning is usually never a problem while flying, the jet jockeys on this Airbus were in a place they knew they should not have been. I'm sure they are job hunting now. Employers frown when their multi-million dollar ride is destroyed when it could have been avoided. (add the mega lawsuits to follow)

Schwinn
August 4th, 2005, 10:08 AM
My worst nightmares came true yesterday.

The emergency reponse to this site included fire (Mississauga Fire Department); tanker trucks from Caledon and Brampton fire to supply water; ambulance; police; emergency measures offices; communications from ALL emergency services, etc etc etc. All of us who responded worked incredibly smoothly to keep the interest of public safety first and foremost.

Keep also in mind that before the plane crashed, there were 4 working house fires in Brampton and Mississauga, flooding, and fire alarms up the wazoo.

I have never been so tired in my life.

I think I saw you on TV. Were you the one wearing the helmet and boots?

Seriously, good job and thank you for all you do. I was watching it on TV and saw a couple of small explosions. I'm glad none of the firefighters was hurt.

Bearsmom
August 4th, 2005, 10:31 AM
LMAO @ Schwinn! Yup, that was me. Taller than most, I was probably the one running around going, "aw, *****, aw *****, AW *****!!!!!!"

Luba
August 4th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Oh Bearsmom you're so funny!

You know I've often wanted to shorten your name and just type BM but uhm....that tends to be shortform for something else...something you definitely are NOT ;)

kandy
August 4th, 2005, 12:05 PM
"Air France Flight 358 was arriving from Paris' Charles de Gaulle International Airport during a thunderstorm. Witnesses said it appeared lightning may have struck the plane."
Quoted from this article: http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/08/02/toronto.crash/index.html

Couldn't find the MSN article that I read yesterday. The one yesterday said that the witnesses could hear the plane lose power and that's why they thought it had been struck by lightning. If it was simply pilot error, then they should be looking for new jobs!

jjgeonerd
August 4th, 2005, 01:31 PM
"Air France Flight 358 was arriving from Paris' Charles de Gaulle International Airport during a thunderstorm. Witnesses said it appeared lightning may have struck the plane."
Quoted from this article: http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/08/02/toronto.crash/index.html

Couldn't find the MSN article that I read yesterday. The one yesterday said that the witnesses could hear the plane lose power and that's why they thought it had been struck by lightning. If it was simply pilot error, then they should be looking for new jobs!

The plane may very well have been struck by lightning, but that shouldn't cause it to lose power. They are all designed to be struck by lightning since they often have to fly through storms. Losing lights in the cabin doesn't necessarily mean the plane lost power entirely.

It will be interesting to see what the review determines. At first glance I would agree with Karin that it appears the pilots just overshot the runway (i.e. landed too late and didn't have enough room to stop...especially with the slick wet surface). However, I wasn't there so I don't really know the circumstances.

I'm just glad everyone survived. :thumbs up

Bearsmom
August 4th, 2005, 01:59 PM
At the time the plane went down, we were in near hurricane conditions (something they called a microburst, however, I sure didn't see anything micro about it). It was raining so hard with lightning strikes everywhere that our headsets in the fire truck were zapping us as we were going to other calls. Visibility was a big fat zero

The wind speeds about the time the plane was landing were upwards of 100 km/h.

PIA was in a code red with lightning striking everywhere (my own fire station was struck but we have lightning rods, so it's to be expected). Most of the media/witness things that are being played are speculative at best.

I thank God that no one was killed.

CyberKitten
August 4th, 2005, 03:02 PM
rofl at the image of the "OS" stuff, tho seriously I too am glad no one was killed!!! I recall now talking to you before about forefighting - my brother is a firefighter but they have happily not had any air crashes like that. The OS stuff reminded me of how we get sometimes when I've been in the ER and things are going downhill. Only sometimes it's more than OS, more like OF, ;)

I hope you and your fellow firefighters are all getting some rest now!!

Luba
August 4th, 2005, 03:14 PM
It was a severe storm thats true and microbursts are nothing to laugh at.

I just heard on the news it was the co pilot that landed the plane, I wonder what bearing that will have on the investigation?

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 04:16 PM
The co-pilot was also reportedly the last one off the plane. I like this guy. :)

LOL Luba, BM... :D Hope that one doesn't stick, Bearsmom.. :fingerscr

OK Am I wrong, or don't they always shut the lights off in the plane as they are landing? I took so many flights a few years ago (35 in one year), and I distinctly remember them turning on the seatbelt light and turning off the all cabin lights. That's what I remember. But if people have never flown before, they might not know that and assume they went off because of the lightning.

Give me a Cessna any day, they glide better than a Boeing or Airbus. Thanks for that. I appreciate that more than you'll ever know. ;) There are no plane crashes on the news, so it looks like he made it. He was the only one on the plane this morning... Like his own private charter jet... :)

Luba
August 4th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I don't recall the lights going out for my flights. :confused:

Glad u got the BM Prin or wait not that you got the BM but the idea of the BM....wait no....you understand what I meant by BM not that I would know or want to know about your BM's ;)

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 04:25 PM
I'm always glad to get the BM. Saves a lot of trouble and confusion. :D

Well, I do remember my lights going out going from London Heathrow to Montreal on Air Canada on an Airbus 330. Maybe it's just Airbus planes.

jjgeonerd
August 4th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Well, I do remember my lights going out going from London Heathrow to Montreal on Air Canada on an Airbus 330. Maybe it's just Airbus planes.
Another reason to buy Boeing! :)

Sorry...couldn't resist...I live in Seattle! :p

Bearsmom
August 5th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Oh Bearsmom you're so funny!

You know I've often wanted to shorten your name and just type BM but uhm....that tends to be shortform for something else...something you definitely are NOT ;)

Call me Kat, that's gotta be way nicer than BM

Bearsmom
August 5th, 2005, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=Prin]OK Am I wrong, or don't they always shut the lights off in the plane as they are landing? I took so many flights a few years ago (35 in one year), and I distinctly remember them turning on the seatbelt light and turning off the all cabin lights. That's what I remember. But if people have never flown before, they might not know that and assume they went off because of the lightning.
QUOTE]

They always shut the lights off at landing and I don't know why (so my husband tells me because usually my eyes are shut tight and I've got a vice grip on whatever knee is beside me, whether I'm married to it or not!!!)

Prin
August 5th, 2005, 02:08 PM
LOL I knew I wasn't nuts. I knew it! Everybody keeps telling me, but I refuse to listen.

I just pitty the little old lady who sits next to you and has her leg snapped... :eek: