Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat has become lethargic and loss of appetite

daddyg
August 2nd, 2005, 12:50 PM
Hi there

My 8 year old male tabby has been acting different for a week or two, since I returned home from a week vacation. He seems lethargic, and does not have his usual appetite.

Last week, he seemed to be scratching more than usual around his neck, so I had assumed he had fleas, but I have been unable to see any, or their dirt, but began a treatment program until I can verify with the vet if he has them.

He seems to be losing weight, and often times, I find him sleeping under the bed or in the closet (instead of on my bed as usual)

I have an appointment with the vet today...but wondering if anyone might have a clue on what is wrong.

Thanks

Prin
August 2nd, 2005, 01:27 PM
I don't know, but he definitely should see the vet. :)

SnowDancer
August 2nd, 2005, 03:36 PM
Agree with Prin. I do have an idea but prefer not to speculate - but suggest haste.

justncase
August 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM
What " treatment" program did you use when you assumed your cat had fleas? Did you use a Hartz product? The lethargy and loss of appetite your cat is experiencing may be directly related to what you used. Some of these products can be fatal. Seek help now to determine the cause and if your cat's appetite still does not return then post again. There are things that can be given to stimulate appetite but first you and your vet will have to find out if the flea product was the cause. Your cat cannot stay in this condition and every moment you delay puts your cat in a more precarious position, health-wise.

daddyg
August 2nd, 2005, 09:54 PM
The vet did an examination........determined that the cat has not lost any weight from the last checkup, nor could find any physiological symptoms of illness (ie. swollen organs or nodes). He is running a complete bloodwork..........so I should find out tomorrow if he has an infection or illness.

StaceyB
August 2nd, 2005, 10:05 PM
Wait and see what the vet has to say, no need to drive yourself crazy. If there are new symptoms let your vet know what they are.

daddyg
August 3rd, 2005, 03:20 PM
Well, not so great news. Blood results came back. The Blood chemisty is normal, but his Blood counts (Red & White Cells) are low. The Doctor is having an additonal round of screens done to determine more information. He believes that there is something wrong with the cat's bone marrow, possibly a virus. I will hopefully find out results tomorrow. His low Red Count is likely what is causing him to display his lethargy and loss of appeite (anemia).

He is an indoor cat and has no other contact with animals, so I am not sure how he would have picked up a virus.

Fingers crossed it is not something life threatening.

chico2
August 3rd, 2005, 04:11 PM
DaddyG,I hope for the best for your tabby,hopefully there is a cure for whatever is ailling him....please keep us posted.Fingers and toes crossed :fingerscr

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Good luck. I hope everything turns out ok. :fingerscr :grouphug:

daddyg
August 4th, 2005, 09:24 AM
I called the vet again yesterday, with more questions. Based on the Haemetology results, he thinks it might be Auto-immune Hemolytic Anemia. All his counts are down low, but his body is producing new red cells to try and keep up. THey are doing more screens to find out what is causing it. I believe they are going to start him on Prednisone today to try and stop it.

I took him back to the vet this morning, as he is still not eating or drinking, and cannot walk far without having to lie down from exhaustion (all signs of anemia).

I just hope they can improve him.

justncase
August 6th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Daddyg, how is your cat? I found this info and thought it may be of help to you. It concerns a dog but the same applies for cats too.

Subject: Dog's recovery from Auto Immune Haemolytic Anaemia (AIHA)
Date: Sunday, October 12, 2003

My dog Arnie had been given up on by the vet. He had acute anaemia caused by his white blood cells killing his red ones and quite honestly we were making arrangements for his funeral. After one week on Transfer Factor Plus we noticed a dramatic improvement. Three months later, after finishing the entire course, Arnie is doing so well that he no longer needs Transfer Factor . He now has so much energy on his new diet (James welbeloved) that we have to restrict his intake or we could be pulling him off the ceiling. He is putting on weight steadily as is his partner Heidi, She has been on Transfer Factor also and it has cured her scaly flaky skin condition on her back.

Note: autoimmune haemolytic anaemia (AIHA) is a disease characterized by increased destruction of red blood cells (erythrocytes) by the pet's own immune system. Though much attention has been given recently to AIHA due to evidence linking the process of vaccinating with the manifestation of this sometimes life-threatening disease, immunization is only one potential cause for this condition

daddyg
August 6th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Justincase: THanks for the info.

Unfortunately, my cat's condition has worsened. He was started on PRednisone and ABX on Thursday, as well as getting a lactated ringer for fluids. Friday, he was still lethargic and not eating. They ran more bloowork and his red cell count continued to drop. The decided to move him to the Vet Emerg clinic to see about a Transfusion. At the clinic, they are giving him oxygen and started a transfusion, however, he seems to be reacting to it and they've had to slow it down. HIs red counts are still dropping. They have started him on an IV as well as IV ABX and Prednisone. They still do not know what is causing it, but they are worried it may be lymphoma or some sort of cancer. They are going to do a marrow biopsy in the next day or two. I hope he has a positive response to the Steroids, to at least get his Red Count up to try and slow the Anemia. This is all very puzzling and upsetting as it seems to be happening so fast.

I am going to try and visit him today, if they are able to have me go in.