Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pets and Babies

sammiec
August 2nd, 2005, 01:30 PM
It's getting closer and closer!! I don't have any major concerns yet. I have left the door open to the baby's room and let the animals in and out of there as they please...so far so good.

Until today, I got up from my nap and the cat was sleeping in the baby's car seat. I kicked him out, and he's been out of the room since.

I am not worried about the cat climbing into the crib or any of that stuff, and I don't want to seal the room off from the rest of the house... I want the animals to be able to go in and outas they please.. I am just wondering what techniques others have used to keep animals out of the baby stuff. It's more of a concern of cleanliness then suffocation...

pags
August 2nd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Hey sammie! I was jut thinking of you today as we both edge ever closer to our due dates. :) I see you're still hanging in there!!!

I have had to come up with a plan for Judge the puppy vs. Yvonne the toddler so I have a jump on this when it comes to bringing in the new baby. Things were easy as long as Judge was still confined to his kitchen area - but as we allow him more freedom in the house... yes we find him running off with the baby toys.. and we find the baby running off with the dog toys too... OOOH the feeling when you find the meticulously sterilized teething ring in the mouth of the puppy! Argh! :eek:

I finally decided to go ahead and set the baby's room off limits. (We didn't put up a barrier or anything... We've just been working on training him not to go into the room...) It didn't seem fair that the puppy had an area where he could go undisturbed -- and where he could stash his dog toys... Without the baby having the same 'safe place' from her playmate for her stuff. It has actually helped teach our baby not to fool with the dog's toys and not to go invade his 'safe place' too!

I have no idea what to do other than this.. and I'm just as interested in whatever tips and tricks the rest of our members have!!

StaceyB
August 2nd, 2005, 02:22 PM
I would make the rules very clear. I would not let the cats in the baby's room. I understand you don't want to shut them out of any part of their home but they will not understand where they can go and what they can touch. If they have been given the freedom they will think that they can go anywhere/touch anything. They will really be ok with it if they are taught.

This next bit of advise is more important for those who have dogs but it wouldn't hurt to do it with the cats. Get a worn(dirty) outfit unwashed from someone you know with a baby. Put the outfit on a doll and place it in the areas where baby will be, crib, seater, etc. Also hold it and let the pets come and check it out. Once baby is born and before he/she comes home have someone bring home a dirty outfit/blanket that baby has used so they are familiar with the scent before baby comes home. You also won't have as much time for the pets when baby does come so don't overload them with extra attention before the baby comes. You are better off to guess how much time you will actually have for them and get them used to that amount of time. This way there life will not be completely turned upside down.

sammiec
August 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
PAGS!!! I'm still here, he's holding on! I am 37.3 weeks!! Hopefully I've made some progress this past week. I have an appointment tomorrow... How are you???

Both animals have been around newborns before, they are fine with that... the dog sniffs, gives a lick and walks away. DH will still spend alot of time with Briggs, she's his baby!!! We have already thought about the impact of time spent with them and have already begun to adjust accordingly. The dog knows her commands and when she's told to get out, she does... she's very mellow in the baby's room. I have been sitting in there with her on occasion while she lays down to chew her bone.. she's not hyper active in there at all. I have no worries about her taking off with baby toys down the road. She doesn't take stuff that's not hers as it is.

The cat is different though, MUCH more difficult to train. He's still "learning" to stay off the counters... once he hears you coming he gets down but he'll sneak up there any chance he gets. I had sprayed him etc.. it doesn't phase him..
Someone else suggested to me to get one of those mesh netting things to keep on the stroller/car seat at home to keep the cat off.
Like I said, it's more of a cleanliness concern for the baby... I know when he's older he'll be sharing plenty of things with the animals :rolleyes: but for his first homecoming I'd like to limit that amount of cat hair ingested! :p

Schwinn
August 2nd, 2005, 04:31 PM
We actually put a baby gate across the nursery door. We tried the mesh net, but we found the cats jumped on it, and fell into the crib, and then stayed. Now, the animals don't go in there unless we're in there. I also brought home a blanket when Cheryl spent the first night with Grace, and let Daisy sleep with it (and me on the bed, felt bad for her with her bad knee). So far, it seems to have worked. We haven't had a problem with the cats in the play pen (or baby crate, as Cheryl calls it).

pags
August 2nd, 2005, 05:41 PM
Sammie -- let us know what the doctor says okay? My appointment is Thursday. :fingerscr I don't know about you - but I'm losing patience fast. :p

At least Briggs already knows the ropes! Judge is still an obnoxious puppy ... and my husband refers to our just-under-two year old as the 'other obnoxious puppy'... So we'll have two to deal with when new baby gets here. :)

Don't know what I'd do about a kitty if I had one in the house though... other than try to keep the nursery out-of-bounds with mesh or a gate or something -- at least in the beginning to keep kitty hair to a minimum. Good luck!!!

Luba
August 2nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
I think a gate at the babies door is a great idea :D

May be hard to keep kitty / dog off of everything, they will end up feeling nervous about what they can/can't come into contact with.

Anything you certainly don't want them into I say put in the nursery and make that room off limits.

melanie
August 2nd, 2005, 06:47 PM
my first suggestion is to put a secound hand painted nice by you screen door on the babys room, that way its open and the pets can see in and feel like thier interacting but the babys stuff is protected and so is bub, also a cat or fit dog could jump a gate so i think screen doors are great, a friend did it for her cat a few yrs back...

also when your in hospital dont forget to send home somehting of the babiesfor the pets to sleep with and sniff, that iwll help them too...

and if you plan to feed the baby in its room at night or so on you could put beds in the room for your pets so they can be with you two then and you can still be supervising....

have fun

Luba
August 2nd, 2005, 07:08 PM
A SCREEN DOOR what brilliant idea Mel!!!