Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how to train Husky dog?

youshunshou
August 2nd, 2005, 11:28 AM
I trained some command for my husky dog, but he always doesn't do what I asked. I meant he knows my command, but sometime he just ignored it. Everytime when I go out with him, he nevers listen to me of not eating the rock or come back to me, so I have to tie him back to the house. I don't want to tie him up and let him walk freely, but he just barely listen to me. It is like he has a mind of his own (he does my command only he feels like to do it.) I did what trainning website said, the owner of the husky dog needs to bully this dog in order for him to distinguish who's the alpha(leader, owner, trainner, etc), but it doesn't work. My brother tried the soft way, but my dog still .............. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I breeded a dog before, but this dog is really hard to train!

Can someone tells me how to train this type of dog in a right way?

StaceyB
August 2nd, 2005, 11:35 AM
You need to get enrolled in a training class so you will have an experienced person show you what to do, watch to make sure you are doing it right and monitor success. There is never a need to bully a dog of any breed.

Prin
August 2nd, 2005, 11:39 AM
With huskies, you have to be 100% consistent. The rules are black and white. Dogs only obey half the time because you are not consistent. You have to follow through with your commands every time, and don't give up right away if he doesn't do it.

I think the best thing to do is enroll in classes.

youshunshou
August 2nd, 2005, 12:09 PM
With huskies, you have to be 100% consistent. The rules are black and white. Dogs only obey half the time because you are not consistent. You have to follow through with your commands every time, and don't give up right away if he doesn't do it.

I think the best thing to do is enroll in classes.

The dog listens to me in the house, but he doesn't listen whenever he goes out with or without attraction. I wanted to bring him to a trainning class, but there is so many different class. I don't want the training instructor to tell me what I know already-- after I paid a lot of money and wasted a lot of time for the classes.

(IGNORE this paragraph if it's too long)
I read a lot of books (like at least 2 of them) about this dog. I know that husky is a very smart type, but that's the reason he resists a lot. Clearly, several books said the owner is necessary to bully the dog, and they said don't mix up the word bully and abuse. I felt the same way as StaceyB that we don't need to bully the dog. However, it is easiler to train him when I follow the book. (***Important notice: I did not hurt or abuse the dog in case you misunderstand what I meant***, sorry I have a bad communication skill.)

Although I know a lot of things about this dog, but I would like to spend money and time if worth. However, I don't want the class like... telling me what's my dog's background, or how to train the dog --to sit, to come, to poo, to jump, to lie down, or to stay--, because I know my dog's background, and my dog is already can do these command. My problem is about obey. He is 3-4 months old now . Can anyone suggest which kind of training class I should attend? Thank you very very much :thumbs up

Prin
August 2nd, 2005, 12:11 PM
If the basics are covered, see about getting into an advanced class. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 2nd, 2005, 12:29 PM
I have learned from my former dog that huskies and Northern breeds have a strong urge to run, this what they are bred for.
It is very hard to break them of this, more so than other breeds.Not to say it can't be done. They obey better if they know they are in a confined area.
In most cases huskies should never be off leash outside unless in an enclosed area.
Good luck!

StaceyB
August 2nd, 2005, 12:39 PM
You say that you/dog already know several cues but as you have mentioned none are reliable when distractions are present. Enrolling in a class and re-doing some of the cues will not hurt because your dog still needs to learn how to have them reliable even with distractions. So it wouldn't be a waste of money. Atleast in my classes, if someone has taught their dog a cue I will increase the difficulty. You have a young puppy and a lot of training to do but part of that training is to have their skills reliable in all situations. If your dog can sit, great but can he sit when kids are playing, or other dogs near by etc. Training inside your home is a good confidence booster for you but there are zero distractions as you have already found out. It takes aprox 3 wks to fully adjust to any setting. If they are good in the house, try the front yard, good there try the park. Being good in one situation doesn't mean they will good in all. Your puppy also needs to socialize with as many things as possible.

*Socializing is not with what they know but with what they don't know*

Beaglemom
August 2nd, 2005, 12:47 PM
There really is no need to bully any dog to get it to obey you. Your dog has to listen to you out of respect not fear. The only thing you are going to achieve from your dog from bullying is fear not respect.

Please do consider enrolling in a dog training class. A trainer will be able to assist you in training your dog. They will tell you the best way to go about it and get the results that you want. They will also be able to tell you what it is that you are doing wrong. I would say that 99% of the time it is always the trainers fault, not the dog's. Every dog has the capabilities to learn, it is the approach that is taken that makes a difference.

You have to go back to step one and train your dog right from the beginning in an area with no distractions. You must have your dog obeying you in an area without distractions before you train with distractions. Only when your dog is listening to you on leash with distractions can you start the off leash work without distractions. Then graduating to off leash with distractions. It must always been done in steps and never rushed.

You should also have your dog work for things like his dinner. Make him sit before you give him his food or favourite toy or snack.

Also, by controlling all of his favourite things and his food, you become "alpha".

Please also remember that a dog that is 3 - 4 months old is not going to obey you all the time. They are still exploring the world around them and everything is a distraction. They should not be off leash yet as they can run off and get hit by a car or get lost. Their attention span at this age is also short. Make your training sessions short ones but spread out throughout the day.

You say that you/dog already know several cues but as you have mentioned none are reliable when distractions are present. Enrolling in a class and re-doing some of the cues will not hurt because your dog still needs to learn how to have them reliable even with distractions. So it wouldn't be a waste of money. Atleast in my classes, if someone has taught their dog a cue I will increase the difficulty.
I agree with Stacey 100%! The more training your dog has to reinforce the good behaviour the better! It can't hurt only make it better.

youshunshou
August 2nd, 2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks for suggestion, maybe I expect too much from my young puppy.
I better bring him to a training class, because the book said if I don't train in a puppy age, I hardly can train when he becomes an adult.

Well, can anyone (in toronto, canada) suggest a good pet trainer? It's because there are some trainers are not qualify to train, I just don't want to waste unnecessary money and time.

Beaglemom
August 2nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
I'm glad that you decided to go to the classes. It really is for the best. Good luck!

StaceyB
August 2nd, 2005, 01:38 PM
Until you can depend on him to respond to a re-call he shouldn't be allowed to be off leash. While training pick up a training lead, 20-30 ft. This way you can give him some freedom w/o having him free until he learns to come when called. I wouldn't suggest a flexi type leash. Just because he is a husky doesn't mean you will never be able to have him off leash, w/ some good training he will be fine.

youshunshou
August 2nd, 2005, 01:56 PM

StaceyB
August 2nd, 2005, 03:21 PM
There are certain breeds that really need to have a lot of exercise especially young puppies or you will notice that they can misbehave and become quite distructive. If a dog runs laps in your home they are not getting enough exercise even if we think they are.

mona_b
August 3rd, 2005, 08:41 AM
Most definately take him to puppy classes.And please do not have him tied up.And do not bully him.And when you take him out for walks,please make sure he is on a leash.

Huskies "can" be stubborn"

My sister has 3 Siberian Huskies.And she had no problems training them.They live on a farm and the Huskies(along with a Border Collie) have free run of the property.They do not take off,and they listen very well.You have to be patient with them.And you must be constent with training them.Also,this is a young pup,so do not over exercise him at this age.His bones are still growing.And this can harm his hips when he gets older.

Clearly, several books said the owner is necessary to bully the dog, and they said don't mix up the word bully and abuse.

I don't know of any training books that would suggest this.

Also,did you research this breed first?

Here is a list of trainers inT.O.

http://www.torontodogs.com/training.htm

There are others in T.O.

Just do a search and they will come up...Then just call around.Se if you can sit in on some of their sessions.

Good luck.

youshunshou
August 7th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I finally find a website for husky other than some website bs about bully a dog hahahahahaha

click here (http://www.husky-petlove.com/husky_alpha_training.html) :party: :thumbs up