Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

In love with a Newfie

chico2
August 2nd, 2005, 09:46 AM
Yesterday I had a BIG Newfie(four-legged!)visiting with his owner in my backyard(cats safely inside!!)what an amazing dog! He is all black and beautiful,all licks,kisses and tummy-rubs.What a BIG tummy he had :D
Although I could not imagine having this gentle giant in my little house,slobber and all...I was in total awe by this bear of a dog,absolutely beautiful.Wish I'd taken some pics :(

CyberKitten
August 2nd, 2005, 10:52 AM
I have a friend who has three of them - he is a native Newfie (His apparantly come directly from the first Newfie dog) - and yes, they are wonderful dogs!! Beautiful and very kind!!

Prin
August 2nd, 2005, 12:33 PM
I love newfs!! Kandy here has a newf. They are the best doggies for kids. I had one when I was little and she babysat us. She protected us to the death. :) To me, they are the dogs with the best intentions. That is why I think Boo is mixed with newf. There isn't a mean bone in his body and he's so sensitive to people. :)

TRICIA81
August 2nd, 2005, 01:47 PM
nfld dogs are beautiful. my family is from nfld and had one when they were growing up. they are such loving and affectionate dogs. no wonder you fell in love with the dog!!

kandy
August 2nd, 2005, 01:59 PM
I love newfies too! :D We have found them to be extremely gentle, both with children and the elderly. When my hubby's grandmother was very ill and placed in a nursing home, we took our first newf, Lacey, to visit quite often. All the residents loved petting her, and she would sit quietly and let people pet her or hug her. She would also give very gentle kisses to all the residents. After she figured out that little kids would cry if knocked over, she would stay back from them, but stretch her neck until she could kiss them. The ones we have now (Hazel, 5 months & Parker, 7 months - who is my son's dog) go to work with hubby and love when people come into the shop. They both really like kids. They have both shown that they have the water rescue instinct, which we will try to develop.

I recently bought new carpet for two rooms in my house. When the salesman asked what we were looking for, I told him I needed carpet that would hold up to muddy dog traffic. He couldn't believe that I was still going to allow muddy dogs on my new carpet - well duh - my furbabies don't get booted outside just cuz they're muddy! That's what the vacuum is for!

The attached picture is almost a month old - I really need to get some new ones on my computer!

Prin
August 2nd, 2005, 02:25 PM
Is that Hazel? She's so huge!!! :)

BMDLuver
August 2nd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Here's another newf fix for you chico! :D He's been adopted today and will be reunited with his sister on Thursday.

Prin
August 2nd, 2005, 02:48 PM
Does that guy have a tail? Or does it just blend in? Certainly a cutie. :)

BMDLuver
August 2nd, 2005, 02:50 PM
lol, it's a big fluffy mass that blends in with his legs. :eek:

chico2
August 2nd, 2005, 03:38 PM
Awwww,Kandy and BMDlover,I tell you,I was just bowled over with how sweet he was.The pictures don't always do them justice,but I love to see them...
It's a good thing i did not see the one who got adopted :eek: but no,my cats would move out :D

kandy
August 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
The pix I posted is indeed Hazel - but the photo is a month old. She is growing up so fast! She weighed 40 lbs at 16 weeks. Parker weighed 80 lbs last week when I had him to the vet - he has really filled out! And I was worried that he was too skinny! :p

Looks like that big boy was playing in the water! Love how their hair turns into little dredlock looking strands when they are wet!