Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do to when someone tells you they are going to breed.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 1st, 2005, 11:50 PM
It easy enough if someone comes onto this forum and talks of breeding and spaying and neuturing to express our opinions.

But what if you see someone on a regular basis, and they talk constantly about wanting to get a female dog so they can have a pup and they can sell the non registered purebreds for cheap.
In addition she has a cat that is not fixed that she is trying to adopt out. I know people have offered to take the cat if she gets it fixed but she says she cant be bothered. Now she wants to take her unfixed adult cat to the spca unless someone wants her unfixed cat.
I am not really an assertive person, but have expressed my views on breeding, and told her I wouldn't get an unregistered purebred puppy, nor would I breed as I really dont know anything about it and good breeders breed to better a breed, not to make some extra cash on the side.

pamha
August 2nd, 2005, 12:36 AM
I would comment on all the unexpected expenses that could come up with breeding (not that I`ve ever done it) that I`ve heard about here. Vet visits, C-sections, dead, infected puppies & mothers... It might make someone think a bit more before doing it

Prin
August 2nd, 2005, 01:15 AM
To be honest, with these types, you can even make up horror stories because the majority of them don't have a clue and won't know where to go to find out. :evil:

The most common ones I encounter are pitty owners who think their dog is cute... I tell them that because the heads are so big, chances are they will need to have a c-section and that will cost somewhere around $2000... The thing is, I know that bulldog breeders have that issue to contend with but I'm not too sure about pitties, or frankly, about the cost. I, too, have never bred dogs for fun... :D Maybe it's an exaggeration, but it gets them thinking, and that's my point.

pamha
August 2nd, 2005, 02:03 AM
We had neighbors next door who were byb-ing pitts, they were mean, people-aggressive dogs- put me off pitts for life, not that I`m for BSL, just creeps like the owners. Anyway the last litter they had, the mom rolled on & killed all the pups. The owner was mad because he counted on the $ from them to pay his rent :eek:

There are plenty of horror stories you can find (or make up) as in "I know of a guy..." These poor dogs were PTS after they got out & killed another dog. We were very lucky they didn`t come after ours!

doggy lover
August 2nd, 2005, 06:46 AM
Take them to an animal shelter, let them see all the unwanted pets, and let them talk to staff there, see if that changes their mind.

Lissa
August 2nd, 2005, 07:04 AM
But what if you see someone on a regular basis, and they talk constantly about wanting to get a female dog so they can have a pup and they can sell the non registered purebreds for cheap.

I am not really an assertive person, but have expressed my views on breeding, and told her I wouldn't get an unregistered purebred puppy, nor would I breed as I really dont know anything about it and good breeders breed to better a breed, not to make some extra cash on the side.

It's a good start that you have shared some feelings/facts about breeding.

I'm not sure if this is a friend or a neighbour but I understand how hard it is to try and educate people who will likely become defensive and angry.

I don't know if anything will change this person's mind but try telling her about all the horrible effects of byb. Everbody has had good suggestions!

Seeing this thread has really brought everything back into perspective! People who are MY friends/family have animals that are not trained, not spayed/neutered and usually only for a short time because behavioural problems arise. I mean, if people that are close to me are like this and I can't change their ways!!?? It's like these people are going to do whatever they want anyway and leave others to deal with their irresponsibility and thoughtlessness. It makes me sick!

StaceyB
August 2nd, 2005, 07:08 AM
Unfortunately it sounds as if she doesn't attach herself to her pets. Unless she thinks she can get in a lot of trouble in some way she will do it. As for the horror stories. If anything happened she would just pawn them to. Keep trying, you may eventually reach her. Send her here, we will help her to see the light.

coppperbelle
August 2nd, 2005, 10:51 AM
I met someone a few months ago with three terriers. A male, a female and the third was the result of the two coupling accidentally. The owner was telling me how she didn't want anymore puppies. I asked why she didn't have at least one of them neutered. I told her about the potential health problems of not fixing a female etc.... hoping this would convince her. She informed me her female was in heat at the time but wouldn't let the male near her so she wasn't worried. I warned her that her female would become very receptive when she was ready. Sure enough she became pregnant and last week delivered by c-section 5 puppies. 3 died immediately.

We do our best to make people aware but the truth is they will do what they want anyways.

nymph
August 2nd, 2005, 11:14 AM
I would email her pictures of mill dogs or pets waiting to be euthanized. Bring your friend to this site would be another way to educate.

But I agree that people would do whatever they feel like doing anyway. There is just so much you could do.

Prin
August 2nd, 2005, 11:36 AM
Showing them suffering animals won't help because they won't associate their puppies with that. Like all the byb's who come here- NOT one admits that they are a byb, even though they know what a byb is.... I think the only way to get through is to hit at the WALLET. If they're breeding to make a profit, hit them there. :evil: Hard. :D Which is why I bring up c-sections...

twinmommy
August 2nd, 2005, 11:46 AM
I agree with Prin.

Sadly, the health and welfare of the poor animals is not enough of a deterrent. Neither is the pending prob of overpopulation.

While mentioning c-sections you could also mention s/n costs as well as food, first vaccs, and all the other costs that are involved in being reputable.

It's tough dealing with irresponsible pet owners, I can relate! While I am not dealing with any potential "wanna-be" breeders at the moment, some close friends/family do some pretty dumb things with their pets. My SIL claims to be tired of my s/n argument....I always say that she's "not tired enough or she would've fixed him"!!!!

ahh, I sympathize.

Prin
August 2nd, 2005, 11:47 AM
If you also mention "What if someone you give your puppies to beats them? How will you know?"

That tends to get them a bit too... ;)

Freyja
August 5th, 2005, 09:23 AM
My next door neighbor, who I don't know other than to say hi, got a dog earlier this year when she saw how much fun I was having with Lindy. Her 5 yo kid liked Lindy and she wanted to get a dog for the family. Sounds okay right? Nightmare!! They got a chocolate lab, cute thing, but they have done NO training with the dog. The dog is now not a puppy and is very poorly behaved. I have never seen them walk the dog, he is in the house but where he lives in the house I don't know. They let him out on his own and have a lead on the clothes line as the yard is not fenced. I have heard various house members yell at the dog, and I saw one guy hitting the dog for jumping up. And to add insult to injury this woman says she wants to breed him. So what do you say to that when she is not the one who is going to have to deal with the puppies?!?!?! :mad: