Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Limping Labrador Retriever- Nerve damage?

Nicoles
August 1st, 2005, 11:51 AM
I have a 7 year old Choc. Lab. Back in January he had a cyst removed from his front paw that was wrapped around his middle toe. The vet used a laser to remove it but said that there may have been some nerve damage b/c it was wrapped around the nerve. After surgery he was in good spirits and seemed to be walking fine. lately I have noticed that he has been limping and not outting as much weight on that foot. Once he gets walking it fades slightly he has the most trouble with it after he gets up form a nap etc. Also his toe is slightly raised. My questions is whether this is a sign of nerve damage? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Prin
August 1st, 2005, 01:12 PM
Has the doggy had xrays to rule out arthritis? From what I have experienced, arthritis tends to kick in where there has been an injury. Has your vet suggested anything?

StaceyB
August 1st, 2005, 01:34 PM
With his age I would get him checked by your vet right away. It sounds like it may be something else.

mona_b
August 1st, 2005, 02:38 PM
I would ask your vet to xray that paw.Just to be on the safe side... :)

He may have somthing in it.

Nicoles
August 1st, 2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks for your help! the vet keeps on saying it is most likely still sore but I am going to suggest X-rays.

Thanks!

Luba
August 1st, 2005, 05:13 PM
Nerve damage won't show up on xrays.

I suggest a vet that treats with chiropractic medicine.

Prin
August 1st, 2005, 07:16 PM
No, nerve damage won't but arthritis or inflammation will.

Karin
August 1st, 2005, 08:10 PM
No, nerve damage won't but arthritis or inflammation will.

Inflammation MAY show up, but not always...arthritis will only after time, not right away. Arthritis shows on imaging as calcium deposits.

Luba
August 1st, 2005, 08:34 PM
Exactly Karin, and often inflamation may not even be arthritis it could be another inflamatory disease causing the inflamation.

mona_b
August 1st, 2005, 09:06 PM
I'm not a vet,but after 6 months it shouldn't still be sore.I would still have an xray done just to see whats going on.

It doesn't sound like it would be arthritis to me.Actually,I have never heard of it being in the toe.

Tron has a bit of arthritis.This is why he had to retire.But it's in his hind leg(joints).Mind you for a 9 year old you wouldn't know it.

My previous GSD,Cujo had Rhumatoid(sp) Arthritis,not a good one for a dog to have.It was in both hind legs.He lost alot of his muscle mass in them.Sarted when he was 8,by the time he was 13 it just got worse for him.

Nicoles
August 2nd, 2005, 03:25 PM
Thank you all. I am going to tyry and take him to the vet today to see what he says. I just hope that is is something we can take care of.