Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Great Dane urinating problems

Mary62955
August 1st, 2005, 12:20 PM
I have a 4 year old spayed Blue Merle Great Dane. Recently she has started wetting on my bed and does not seem to realize it. Most of the time this is happening in the evening.

I take her out she uses the bathroom when she comes back in and settles on the bed for a little while then she urinates, it's not nightly but the frequency is increasing. She doesn't urinate much, but she doesn't seem to realize that she is doing it, since she never gets up or moves right away.

Could this be medical or is she just lapsing and not using the bathroom entirely outside?

SnowDancer
August 1st, 2005, 12:23 PM
Please take her to the vet. If not a UTI could be any number of possible medical conditions - including stones.

Lucky Rescue
August 1st, 2005, 12:28 PM
With a 4 year old spayed dog, this could easily be "spay incontinence", since you say she is "leaking" and doesn't even know she's going.

This is often easily fixable by administering hormones. Please see your vet about this!

Prin
August 1st, 2005, 02:16 PM
Yes, Jemma has it too. It's caused by estrogen levels dipping too low. What the vet gives are hot pink estrogen pills. We started with one every day for a week, then every two days for a week and so on until we hit once a week. Then we tried once every two weeks (because estrogen causes bone loss and consequently osteoporosis, so you have to give as little as possible), but it didn't work, so we went back to once a week. The pills cost about $30 a year. No biggie. Just ask the vet for help asap, so you won't have to wash your duvet again....