Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Diabetic/geriatric kitty!

KathyB
August 1st, 2005, 09:26 AM
My 17 year old kitty Cleo was recently diagnosed with diabetes. We decided to try oral medication (glyburide) and she seems to be doing quite well. Initially she was on amoxicillian as well, but since she finished the prescription a few days ago, she seems to be slipping a bit. She is starting to go to the water sources (shower, bathtub, toilet) everytime we go near them - she isn't begging for water and will drink out of her bowl, but the behaviour seems a little odd. Anyway going to call the vet tomorrow and see if maybe she needs to go back on the antibiotic. Just wondering if anybody else has had this experience with feline diabetes and the oral medication. I would love to hear any insights you might have. Thanks!

Karin
August 1st, 2005, 06:51 PM
My 17 year old kitty Cleo was recently diagnosed with diabetes. We decided to try oral medication (glyburide) and she seems to be doing quite well. Initially she was on amoxicillian as well, but since she finished the prescription a few days ago, she seems to be slipping a bit. She is starting to go to the water sources (shower, bathtub, toilet) everytime we go near them - she isn't begging for water and will drink out of her bowl, but the behaviour seems a little odd. Anyway going to call the vet tomorrow and see if maybe she needs to go back on the antibiotic. Just wondering if anybody else has had this experience with feline diabetes and the oral medication. I would love to hear any insights you might have. Thanks!

One may not have anything to do with the other. You posted she is doing well on the glyburide and amoxi but aftera few days of ceasing the amoxi she is slipping. This could very well be her diabetes too. Regulating cats with diabetes takes a great deal of patience. Please get her back to the vet asap. Btw, what was the reason for the Rx of amoxicillian in the first place?
Are you checking her BG every day? How is her appetite?

* A bit surprised at the lack of responses here, must have been a long weekend for most board members*

KathyB
August 1st, 2005, 09:33 PM
Hi Karin - thanks for your response. The vet initially gave her a RX for amoxi because she had a slight bladder infection. She was on it for two weeks and as I said began slipping a bit after she went off it - wondered if maybe it was too soon as Dr. Tracey says diabetics are very prone to infection. Her appetite has been ok - they have her on Purina Diabetic Management food - she prefers the canned - but Dr. also suggested giving her some tuna (packed in water) mixed in to encourage her to eat. Also says new info suggests high protein is good since Cleo has lost some weight. I am going to question her about adding more fibre as all the research I have done suggests a high fibre diet. Her glucose was tested at Dr. Tracey's last week and it was high - but we know it could also have been the car ride/vet visit etc. We now have the strips to put in her litter which I just did tonight. It was high - so I am pretty concerned now. She has a fructosemine (sp?) scheduled for the week after next. I will definitely be in touch with her tomorrow to get more info. Cleo does seem to be holding her own even with these high levels - she doesn't display any neuropathy nor laboured breathing. She does seems a bit shaky from time to time, but she is still able to jump up on furniture and go up and down the stairs with little difficulty.