- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 



July 31st, 2005, 10:26 PM

I can't find much information on the internet about my problem, so I was hoping that some fellow pet owners might be able to give me a hand.

A few weeks ago (about two) I went away for two days, leaving my 5 month old cat behind in my apartment (well fed and watered).

I returned to find her right hind leg stuck in my blinds. Something Similar ( (Looks kind of like those). Now she didn't get stuck in the string of the blinds where you pull on to raise or lower it, but in the part that is attached to the plastic blind strips. I'm very sorry about the lack of technical terminology here, hopefully using that picture you can imagine what I mean.

Now, she managed to twist herself up really well, and the blood was cut off to the toes. I'm not sure exactly how long she had been there, but she had only defecated once.

I was able to cut her loose and was advised to just let her be. She is eating and drinking fine, expelling fine, keeping herself clean, playing with my other cat still, but favouring the foot. After a while I noticed that litter/feces had worked itself into the "hole" (it's more like a gash I would say).

Today I cleaned it out, and wrapped her foot in gauze after putting a little polysporin in it. The toes are black (the pad of her foot is still pink though). There was some stuff that came off that I think was part of her foot. I could also see bone.

She does not lick it overmuch, barely favouring it at all besides not being able to jump as far/high as the other cat now. After I cleaned out the wound area she favours the foot more, but doesn't lick at it/try to get the gauze off (I sprayed it with BitterApple too though). She has no problem accepting treats and has played with the other cat since. She doesn't seem to be too affected by this, except that it's hindering her movement (this is the very positive point for me).

I am afraid that she has/will get gangrene.

Does this sound plausible/possible?

Would it be best to just go to the vet to get it amputated/examined, or is it possible to wait and see?

I am a *very* poor college student with a part time job. I didn't expect something like this to happen (I fix my pets, and keep them indoors so that most issues won't happen) and really can't afford a lot of treatments but would love to have some comments or suggestions on this. If vet treatment is the only way, I'll probably go to the vet and see what they can offer me.

Does anyone have a suggestion, or some help?

July 31st, 2005, 10:34 PM
You really need to go to the vet. If there is infection/ bacteria it can travel into other parts of the body. Call around, some will set up a payment plan for you.

July 31st, 2005, 10:43 PM
Where Are You Located Cause My Vet Is In Hamilton And Does Make Payment Arrangements. This Cat Needs To See A Vet Asap. Just Think If That Was You With Your Bone Showing Would You Not Want To Go To The Doctors?think Of The Pain This Cat Is In Right Now

White Wolf
July 31st, 2005, 10:43 PM
PLEASE go to the vet immediately. There is no other alternative. I hope next time you pay to have the cat watched while you go away.

July 31st, 2005, 11:08 PM
Are you kidding me, this kitten has not been to the vet yet?

This is absolutely cruel and torturous, what are you waiting for...death?

White Wolf
July 31st, 2005, 11:15 PM
Closed. Please come back with an update from the vet.