Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ear ticks

Rottimom
July 31st, 2005, 06:57 PM
This year my dog has had a lot of ticks :yuck: (at least 7 or 8). The first one I ever found was on the inside of his ear (the floppy part). I pulled it out, and I think I left the "head" of the tick in his ear. My vet is aware of this (and has since sold me a great tick remover) and she didn't seem too concerned. She did have a look at it, but its been about 2 months since then, and the spot keeps getting agitated. It's a small bump- He has scratched it and made it bleed, it has been scabbed over and re-opened, its been different colours from red to grey. Right now it's white and a bit raised. It doesn't appear to change size. My question is, is there anything I can do for it, should I be concerned (it seems to be itchy) or should my vet have a second look? (O.k. maybe I had 3 questions :rolleyes: )
Thanks.

StaceyB
July 31st, 2005, 07:09 PM
You are supposed to leave it and as the layers of skin get old and rub off so will the head. Keep track of any symptoms that make show up and keep the tick or have it tested.

Prin
July 31st, 2005, 09:34 PM
The head has to come out. It won't on it's own, so your vet should offer some solution-- if not, you need a new vet. I really don't like how the vet shrugged it off the first time... :rolleyes:

You can just use rubbing alcohol on a q-tip- you rub it on the tick and he will pull out his head. Then you take him with tweezers and put him in rubbing alcohol. Or, some people say you put vaseline on him so that he can't breathe and then he'll pull his head out. But you're never supposed to pull them out on your own. That head has got to come out.

StaceyB
July 31st, 2005, 09:57 PM
Go to www.lyme.org
Look for tick removal, it will answer all the questions you have.