Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tatoos

BeagleMum
July 31st, 2005, 01:01 PM
Just wondering how many people here have piercings or tatoos.

This is a picture of my tatoo that I got 3 years ago, located on my lower back. It is the chinese symbol for Monkey. I have loved monkeys my whole life and was born in the year of the monkey so I thought it was appripriate. Yup, I'm weird.

Sorry for the bad photo, I was trying to take a picture of my own back.

mafiaprincess
July 31st, 2005, 01:27 PM
I have 15 piercings.. have had others.
Done ritual modification stuff... would talk about it or post pics.. but I was flamed to death on another pet forum yesterday where somehow my personal life was brought into it and made me a freak and a bad person..
So I'm still pretty upset and anti sharing, but still want to share..

raingirl
July 31st, 2005, 01:33 PM
I have a tatoo of a lizard, and a navel peircing.

Unfortunately, my navel has been giving me a lot of problems the last few months. Mostly since getting the dog becase the he keeps accidentally hitting it (sitting on my lap, climbing on me in the car, etc etc). I also have a keloid scar at the bottom hole of the peircing, and because I have a barbell, it keeps getting jammed into the scar, and getting irritated. In fact right now it's super sore and I'm thinking of having my doc check it out. I LOVE it and never want to get rid of it, but I might have to change the jewelry back to a ring or something so the ball isn't irritating the keloid. I don't think it's infected (not red or pussy or anything), just feels bruised almost because it's constantly getting hit and banged and pulled and knocked.

I have a ton of other tattoos planned, but none till after I get married I said, because they are all for visible places that I don't necessarily want showing in a wedding dress.

CyberKitten
July 31st, 2005, 01:38 PM
I am not a fan of eother tatoos or piercings - I can see maybe one or two piercings but I have seen to many medical problems with piercings - esp tongue piercings where the kids loose teeth! It seems SOO not worth it to me.

Just my humble opinion and I am kinda glad I am not a kid now, lol (Tho I doubt I'd have anything more than my ears pieced anyway). I think those well done tiny tatoos can be cute. But it's not anything I would choose for myself. And I live with chronic pain so it's not because I hate pain, lol

Puppyluv
July 31st, 2005, 02:04 PM
funny, i was just thinking of starting a thread like this...
I have my rook and my tongue pierced, and two tattoos, this one is the chinese symbol for 'mountain' because the mountains are where I spent 90% of my time when i lived in calgary, and are the one thing i miss the most now. It's on my lower back

Jackie467
July 31st, 2005, 02:04 PM
I have my navel and my ears pierced, and a tatto of a rose with a trible bhind it on my lower back. I'v had the tatto since I was 17, so I'v had it for 3 years now. And love it just as much as the day I got it, maybe even more cuz it's not sore anymore lol. I'll try to get some pics, but that isn't easy right now cuz i'm home alone. I'v also had the tat recolored once, now that hurt way more than origanlly getting it because your basically just tattoing over a scar. So make sure if you get a tat it's the exact colors you want, cuz it hurts to change them.

I'v had my navel done since I was 14, so for 6 years now. I love it. It's never bothered me. That sounds weird raingirl I would definatly have it looked at because if it's completely healed it shouldn't be hurting at all. I can pull my barbell out stretching the skin and twist the barbell upside down and it doesn't hurt. But then again I have a high pain tolerence. I never had an infection or any problems, but I was obbsessed with keeping it clean. I cleaned it 8 times a day and sometimes more with antibacterial dial soap and then put A&D ointment on it after I washed it. I was also very careful not to use any fregrented soaps or perfumes around it, not that I could anyway because I'm allergic.

I'm looking to get another tat soon, but I still haven't decided what. I'v been looking for a year now but just can't find the perfect one yet. And if I'm having something permenatly put on my body it has to be PERFECT.

Puppyluv
July 31st, 2005, 02:05 PM
and this little guy is on the inside of my wrist:
(the picture is from the day i got it, so it's a little inflamed)

Schwinn
July 31st, 2005, 05:18 PM
Although I have my left ear pierced, I haven't worn an earring for about 3 years now. I used to wear a big hoop when I was a student. Cheryl thinks she wants to get a tattoo, and wants to do it together. I'm not sure, but if I did, I would probably get a maple leaf over my left breast, and since I hate odd numbers, I'd get something else, but not sure what. I was thinking of getting ab muscles tatooed on...

Prin
July 31st, 2005, 09:17 PM
I got my ears pierced when I was 4, and that was it. I'm far too afraid of both the pain and the permanence of it all....

Schwinn, Pink uses a make-up made for abs to draw in her abs when she has a public appearance... Maybe you should get some too... :D

Mafiaprincess- I forgot about you for a second- I don't understand how piercings and tatoos would figure into anything... I don't know. Maybe I know too many "geeks" who have piercings you would never expect them to have.. :D

Karin
August 1st, 2005, 05:22 AM
I have 7 unwanted tiny ink dots on the right side of my chest and one the left. I wanted a flamingo but the radiologist said no can do.

wjranch
August 1st, 2005, 07:41 AM
I was not aware that there were so many INKteresting people on this board! :)
I have 5 tattoos, the most recent is a wotk in progress... i started it last summer and hope to get it to a full back piece soon...

Toonces
August 1st, 2005, 08:08 AM
Very cool tats!

I have a ring of fire around my belly button that is pierced and a sun on my sholder that has a moon, stars inside of it, this one is a cover up of a ugly rose I had done when I was 17, sorry no pics tho.

ThaiGhing
August 1st, 2005, 08:54 AM
Hey everyone... I have 5 tattoos, and my ears and tongue pierced. I love every single tattoo... My husband has an appt to get Thai's face tattooed on his chest..... I will post when its completed... But here are a few of mine....

lilith_rizel
August 1st, 2005, 10:06 AM
I have 4 piercings, my ears, my catilaige on my left ear, and my eye brow. And one tattoo on my lower back. Picture is in another thread. :D I asked hubby what he wanted for his birthday, and he asked me to get my lip piercing that I have wanted, so I am getting that this week. I am getting another tattoo after the baby is born as well. I have chosen to get a fairy on the back of my neck.

I don't see anything wrong with body art. I love it actually.

Rottielover
August 1st, 2005, 10:15 AM
I used to have my naval pierced until I got pregnant, But I have 5 lovely tatoos, and hopefully getting a new one soon :)

jjgeonerd
August 1st, 2005, 11:01 AM
I have 3 tattoos but no pictures of any of them. :sad: Marvin the Martian on my ankle (1st one), octopus on my left arm, character from an old Barfoot snowboard on my back. I'll be getting more...just need some disposable income!

Blaze01
August 1st, 2005, 11:30 AM
I have a small butterfly on my left shoulder...I love it but I often forget it is there until someone mentions it...

Rita
August 1st, 2005, 11:31 AM
I just got 2 tattoos done earlier this year.
This is the first one ... it is located on my back, upper right shoulder.
My parents are both from Holland although all of us kids were born here in Canada.... my Husband is also Dutch.
This is my Dutch/Canadian tattoo ;) (tulip / maple leaf)

Rita
August 1st, 2005, 11:33 AM
This is my second one ... it is on my inner calf of my left leg.
My and my Husband's initials are in the vine at the top (G and R)

Prin
August 1st, 2005, 01:22 PM
WOW these are incredible! I have never seen tatoos that were so colorful! Does the dye ever run or anything?

Oh, I really love the devil Pooh! He's still smiling! :D Thanks for sharing the pics all of you. :)

Puppyluv
August 1st, 2005, 01:26 PM
The dyes won't run. but they can fade, especially if you 1)don't let it heal properly when you first get it or 2) expose it to a lot of sun. (Tattoos have to be covered in sunscreen at all times, or else they fade like crazy) but if that does happen, touch ups can be done.

Prin
August 1st, 2005, 01:29 PM
Good to know. I burn in less than 4 minutes in the sun, so sunscreen won't be too much of an issue... :D Do they HURT? That's what I'm most afraid of...

Puppyluv
August 1st, 2005, 01:35 PM
It depends where you get them.. My first one is on the small of my back (you know, where EVERYONE gets one :D ) and it hurt like the blazes!!!! But my second one is on the inside of my wrist (which you would think would hurt) but it only felt like an electric toothbrush on my skin.
In general the bonier the area is, and the more nerves there are, the more it hurts. Soft fleshy areas are the least painful, but the most subject to stretching if you gain/lose a lot of weight.

Blaze01
August 1st, 2005, 01:36 PM
My tattoo didnt hurt that bad but when I got my belly pierced I about died. The most annoying thing about it was the buzzing from the machine.

heidiho
August 1st, 2005, 02:01 PM
I have had 8 tattoos and a belly button ring,if i had more money i would probabyl be covered in tattoos,love em..JESSE JAMES,LOVE HIM...YUMMY

kandy
August 1st, 2005, 02:04 PM
I have three homemade tattoos and one professional. I was in a reform school when I was a teenager, and some of us thought it would be cool to have tattoos, so we got some india ink and a needle and made our own. I have a heart with a cross on one ankle and a female sign on my right ring finger. That one was supposed to also have the male sign, but I couldn't stand the pain or wiping up the blood anymore, so I made the girl quit working on it. Later in my teenage years, I had a friend put my husband's (then boyfriend) first initial on the other ring finger, but it's a crappy job and she didn't know what she was doing, plus we were both drunk. Good thing it's always covered by my rings. I also had permanent eyeliner tattooed on my eyelids and that has to be my favorite tattoo! I love it and it didn't hurt at all. My homemade tatoos have never faded one iota and they are very, very old, although I sometimes wish they would. I would really like to have the one on my ankle redone - maybe into a dolphin. As far as the pain, my son once told me that if you are thinking about getting a tattoo, pinch yourself as hard as you can on the proposed site and that will give you a really good idea of how bad it will hurt.

As far as piercings, I have pierced ears (2 holes each side) and I tried to have the cartilage on one side pierced, but it never healed right, so I had to take it out. When I had it done, the earring didn't go all the way through and the guy pushed it the rest of the way. It didn't make a hole, it just kind of made a flap of cartilage and I think that's why it never healed. I can still move the piece of cartilage around. :eek:

Puppyluv
August 1st, 2005, 02:10 PM
My tatoos have never faded one iota and they are very, very old, although I sometimes wish they would.
Funny how its the ones we don't like that hang around!!! :D

kandy
August 1st, 2005, 02:15 PM
Funny how its the ones we don't like that hang around!!! :D

How true, how true! :cool: I really thought the one with my hubby initial would fade since it was never completed and was pretty patchy to begin with, but even those dots are as dark today as they were in 1981 when it was done.

StaceyB
August 1st, 2005, 02:32 PM
My husband has all kinds of them, the colour fades but the black stays put.

mrjohndoe
August 1st, 2005, 02:33 PM
This is about 15 years old. Had it done in TO when at college. Sorry about the pic but, it's got a nice sunburn right now. The big thing I wish I did different is probably put it on my shoulder.

AliSam
August 1st, 2005, 09:08 PM
I have just my ears pierced. I would love to have a tattoo of Eeyore on me somewhere, but I am too much of a coward. I hate pain.

Jackie467
August 1st, 2005, 09:49 PM
Actully the tatto on my back didn't hurt at all until I had it recolored. But my cousin (he's a tatto artist so he did mine) said that he'd seen many full grown men cry when they had that part of their back tattoed, so I guess I just have a high pain tolerence.

I never even felt the guy do my navel ring. He kept moving that clamp around on my stomach, and I wasn't watching and I thought he had moved it again but it turns out he already peirced it and put the ring in.

ThaiGhing
August 1st, 2005, 10:33 PM
Here are a few of my husbands many many tattoos...

ThaiGhing
August 1st, 2005, 10:33 PM
Another one..

ThaiGhing
August 1st, 2005, 10:34 PM
I am not fond of this one.. but its still a nice peice of work...

ThaiGhing
August 1st, 2005, 10:35 PM
and yet another one..

ThaiGhing
August 1st, 2005, 10:36 PM
and another one...he does have another one.. its the HOTWHEELS symbol or trademark on his calf.. but I dont have a pic of that one.. not sure why.. smile...

jjgeonerd
August 2nd, 2005, 11:23 AM
Actully the tatto on my back didn't hurt at all until I had it recolored. But my cousin (he's a tatto artist so he did mine) said that he'd seen many full grown men cry when they had that part of their back tattoed, so I guess I just have a high pain tolerence.

I never even felt the guy do my navel ring. He kept moving that clamp around on my stomach, and I wasn't watching and I thought he had moved it again but it turns out he already peirced it and put the ring in.
When I was getting my tattoo on the middle of my back (hurt a little as it was on the backbone) there was a guy in the booth next to me getting a small chinese character on his arm. This guy was HUGE and said he was a bouncer at a local club. He passed out 3 TIMES during tattoo!! :eek: The artist said if he did it again he wasn't going to finish it. It should have been a 15-20 minute tattoo tops! After he left they were making fun of him saying it was always the big guys that couldn't take the pain/needles!

kandy
August 2nd, 2005, 03:33 PM
ThaiGhing: Love that tiger!

BoxerRescueMTL
August 3rd, 2005, 11:26 PM
I have 3 tattoos. I got my first when i was 16, it's a Chinese crane on the back of my shoulder, when I was 18 I got a Native style sea turtle on my stomach, and when I was 21 I got another design on the inside of my forarm. I have to say the stomach hurt like crazy, but the others not at all. I am planning on extending the one on my forarm or maybe getting one on the back of my neck.
I've had quite a few piercings but took them out a few years ago. I still have an industrial in my left ear and will be getting my right ear done as well. I need to be balanced!
I will try to take some pics! Or get Chris to for me..

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 12:38 AM
You know what's next? 3-d tatoos. (there goes another million). You know- what if you have a tatoo, but you have add-ons that make it 3-d. Like if you have a tiger tatoo, you can have like a paw or the claws protruding. :crazy:

BMDLuver
August 4th, 2005, 06:30 AM
I have two tattoos. One is a horse rearing on my shoulder. The other is an ankle tatoo. WDRanch, your horse is fantastic, lovely work!

I have multiple piercings in my ears but with the kids don't wear earing at all presently. I'm saw someone mentioned their Rook was pierced.. pardon my ignorance but what is that?

I want another one on my lower back but haven't decided what quite yet. My one has faded and needs some touch ups. It's on the bone though so getting up the nerve to redo it. :eek:

kandy
August 4th, 2005, 10:18 AM
You know what's next? 3-d tatoos. (there goes another million). You know- what if you have a tatoo, but you have add-ons that make it 3-d. Like if you have a tiger tatoo, you can have like a paw or the claws protruding. :crazy:

Actually, my son has one on his arm of a tiger ripping through - it almost looks 3-D. You can see part of the tigers eye through the rips and of course the claws. It looks like it's ripping through the skin on his arm and it's cool! I'll have to take a pix of it for you.

BMDLuver
August 4th, 2005, 10:20 AM
That one sounds really interesting Kandy! I think that if Tatoos had been more common when I was younger, I would probably have a bunch of them by now. :D

Roxy's_MA
August 4th, 2005, 11:21 AM
This is my tattoo. It is a leo symbol. This picture was taken by the artist right after the tattoo was finished so it does look a litte raw. I did not find it very painful at all. Just a bit when they do it on the bone.

Kariia
August 4th, 2005, 11:32 AM
I have a tatoo of a Greyhound running on my back and the Chinese character for "dog" on my arm..

mona_b
August 4th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Ok,I have a question.

I wanted a tattoo when I was about 17.Then I just didn't bother.Now I am considering one.I would love one on my lower back.Here is the question.I have a VERY bad back,thanks to work.Two of my discs don't look very pretty,and my pelvic bone is off about 3 inces from the other.With my back being in somewhat of a mess,will a tattoo in that spot make matters worse?It's my lower back that is shot.

twinmommy
August 4th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Mona--I've seen bad tat jobs that end up at the dermatologist--but never at the orthopedic surgeon!!! Meaning, they don't go that deep. (God forbid!!)

but if you are worried, you should ask your ortho, or rhumatologist what they think. I don't think it would interfere, only maybe a little painful in the healing process if you have to sleep a different way than usual...

What did you want toget? I want to get one on the lower back too..even tho everyone has them there.
I already have four from the back of my neck going down my spine.
Chinese symbols
"wonton soup, 2 egg rolls and 1 general tao."

heh heh heh just making sure you're paying attention!!! ;)

yviej
August 4th, 2005, 12:17 PM
:grouphug: Wow .. it's great to know so many people on here are into bodyart just as I am. I've just recently gotten into it. So far apart from my earlobes, I have my left nostril pierced (about 2 years old now), and my navel pierced (about 3-4 months old). I would love to get my tongue pierced, an industrial (2 piercing diagonally placed on the top cartilage of the ear with an extended barbell going through it) and maybe my eyebrow, and a Monroe. But my work limits to what is considered acceptable or not. Nonetheless, I am hoping to get another one soon.

I am not considering any tattoos yet not because I am so much afraid of the pain that will be associated with getting one but the permanence of it. But then again, there is always the laser, right? But still, what would I get and where would I want to put it? Still needs lots of consideration.

Puppyluv
August 4th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I am not considering any tattoos yet not because I am so much afraid of the pain that will be associated with getting one but the permanence of it. But then again, there is always the laser, right? But still, what would I get and where would I want to put it? Still needs lots of consideration.

I have to say, that if even the thought of "oh well I can always laser it off" comes to mind, don't get a tattoo!!!
Besides that, your piercings/piercing ideas sound cool! I have my toung done, and love it :thumbs up (depite having swallowed many barings)

jjgeonerd
August 4th, 2005, 12:40 PM
But then again, there is always the laser, right? But still, what would I get and where would I want to put it? Still needs lots of consideration.

I would agree...don't get one if you aren't 100% sure. My take on the permanence issue is why would I ever regret any of my tattoos. They will always represent where I was at a particular point in my life and are therefore a part of who I am. Maybe at 75 years old I wouldn't have done it, but at 25 it was appropriate, and the tattoo will always serve as a reminder of that part of my life.

That said...I don't have and would never get anything that I consider vulgar, or would be ashamed to show ANY member of my family or ANY child.

mona_b
August 5th, 2005, 08:09 AM
I already have four from the back of my neck going down my spine.
Chinese symbols
"wonton soup, 2 egg rolls and 1 general tao."
heh heh heh just making sure you're paying attention!!! ;)

LMFAO......... :p

So many thoughts as to what to get.

I love my dad to death,and we are VERY close.He's going to be 84 in Sept.And I hope we have MANY years more to share with him.I was thinking of getting a small Lithuanian flag and have DAD in the middle of it.I was also thinking of getting a rose and have my daughters name in it.Or maybe a head of a GSD... :D .

My daughter also wants one.Has been wanting one for quite some time.She got off of wanting it and ended up getting her tongue pierced in Jan.... :rolleyes: ..And I tell you,she hides it well from her Papa who would have a heart attack.He flipped when she ddyed her hair from blonde to black....LOL..She's papas girl. ;)

BMDLuver
August 5th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Mona: I'm not sure where I read it recently but they were discussing epidurals and tatoos saying that they will not do an epidural should someone have a lower back tatoo. I don't know the extent of your back problems but if you required surgery at a later date and an epidural was needed, they may have to go a different route?

mona_b
August 5th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Mona: I'm not sure where I read it recently but they were discussing epidurals and tatoos saying that they will not do an epidural should someone have a lower back tatoo. I don't know the extent of your back problems but if you required surgery at a later date and an epidural was needed, they may have to go a different route?

I have heard that too.It was mentioned about women wanting to have babies and the epidurals....My baby days are done..I have been spayed..... :D

Unfortunately there is nothing they can do with my back,surgery wise.

I did mention this to my daughter though.Apparently she asked about this(and a few of her girlfriends have tattos there)and they have the tattoo situated where if an edidural is needed,they are ok.

Rita
August 5th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I was thinking of getting a small Lithuanian flag and have DAD in the middle of it.
What a wonderful idea!! I got goosebumps reading this :love:
My Hubby was born in Holland but has been in Canada since he was 6yo (Canadian Citizen) and he's thinking of getting a Canadian flag with 'made in Holland' printed underneath .... first he has to get past his fear of needles :rolleyes: . He watched as I had my second one done and he realized it wasn't nearly as bad/painful as he had always thought it was.

mona_b
August 5th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Rita,my dad means the world to me.He is my life.And so is my daughter...And we are his little :angel: 's

Rita,just give hubby a few drinks before he goes to get it done.... :D

Rita
August 5th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Rita,just give hubby a few drinks before he goes to get it done.... :D
http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/2.gif
I would if I could, but unfortunately (or actuallly, fortunately) they won't do a tattoo if you've been drinking.

Roxy's_MA
August 5th, 2005, 10:43 AM
first he has to get past his fear of needles :rolleyes: . He watched as I had my second one done and he realized it wasn't nearly as bad/painful as he had always thought it was.

I am very pyscologically afraid of needles. I passed out from every needle I have gotten since I was 12. I even pass out sometimes just from seeing needles. I passed out when I got my tongue done.

I wanted a tattoo so bad, I decided to do it anyway. I didn't get quesy at all from the tatoo needles. For me I think it is becuase the needles only peirce the surface of the skin, it's not like an injection or peircing.

wjranch
August 5th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I wanted a tattoo so bad, I decided to do it anyway. I didn't get quesy at all from the tatoo needles. For me I think it is becuase the needles only peirce the surface of the skin, it's not like an injection or peircing.

The tattoo 'needle' is actually a bunch of tiny blades. And the 'gun' certainly doesn't look like any hypodermic needle! lol

BMDLuver - Thanks, it's the begginning of a full back piece. I plan to have the rest of the horse done with a crouching cougar below it..backdrop of mountains or waterfalls.... Symbolic of the prey besting the predator :) Story of my life!! LOL

BMDLuver
August 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM
WJRanch, sounds awesome. You'll have to post a pic when it's completed!

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 02:16 AM
The tattoo 'needle' is actually a bunch of tiny blades. And the 'gun' certainly doesn't look like any hypodermic needle! lol Ya, that makes it better. A bunch of tiny blades? Oh, that's ok then.(sarcasm) :eek:

BMDLuver
August 6th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Ya, that makes it better. A bunch of tiny blades? Oh, that's ok then.(sarcasm) :eek:
lol Prin, I think you need a microscope to see that it's so tiny.

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Yeah. I bet you're one of those people who thinks a needle is "just a little pinch". Well, it's not. :D

meggie1425
August 6th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Nice tatoos everyone! :thumbs up all i have are my ears peirced (4 in 1 and 2 in the other) Im definitly planning on getting some tatoos sometime soon. Maybe one of the swansong, one of the pink floyd darkside of the moon symbol, and i REALLy want to get a tatoo of my budgie smokey who died 2 years ago and i still really miss him! :(

yviej
August 9th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I've been watching Miami Ink on TLC lately. It's sorta making me want to have a tattoo now. But I know ... I will really, really think about it before I actually go out and have one.

Byrd
August 9th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Any time now, any time now. I've been wanting one forever, but when I was with my ex he would 'allow' me to get one, said they were ugly on women, that sort of thing threatened to get 'things' pierced if I got a tat. Well, now that I'm single I'm going for it. My cousin owns Asylum Ink in Oshawa so I'm going there. I have it picked out (I've had it picked out for a long time), a little Ankh with Isis wings enclosing it, and I'm getting it on my left ankle.

So, be truthful, how much does it really hurt?