Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how much food shall I give?

lunasnoopy
July 31st, 2005, 01:39 AM
I have an ex stray mongrel who is now fully grown and 45 pounds (21-22 kilos) He is going to be one year old in August. He is of normal weight and proportion, cutie pie. 2 questions:

1. I am confused. How much food (in weight) and how many times a day. shall I feed him?

I only want to give him lamb First Choice dog food. An American vet recommended it and I can get it here in the middle east.

2. 2 weeks ago, he suffered from depression (my husband who he loves went on a business trip) and it was soooooo hot, like 110 degrees in the shade. So he didnt eat anything for days. Then he developed Excema and I had to cross borders to Lebanon to get him treated at the vet (he is better now) . He was getting sooooo skinny and I was sooo worried that he was wilting away. So I made him rice with chicken, gave him bread etc, ANYTHING so he will eat. He ate that. Now he wont go back to dog food.

So any suggestions on how much to feed him, and how to get him to eat dog food only?

Some silly vets here in the middle east say feed him once a day, some say 3 times a day. Some say rice and chicken is good, some say dog food is better.

Please advise!
lunasnoopy

Luba
July 31st, 2005, 01:44 AM
Personally I make my dogs food, prepare it as I do my own. The dog will be much healthier but you need to ensure you give adequate and appropriate foods.

I never feel it's good to feed a dog once a day. Two is a minimum for me and three is even better if you can do it. However, A morning and late afternoon/early evening meal is your best bet.

Kariia
July 31st, 2005, 11:55 AM
Put the chicken/rice on the bottom of the dog food, so he has to eat the dog food to get to it. Then reduce the amount of the chicken/rice till there is none left. And feed him when he gets up, in the afternoon, and about 6-7 at night.

StaceyB
July 31st, 2005, 12:24 PM
You gave him options, unfortunately this is done quite often creating a picky dog. Go back to just offering his dog food. You only did this for a couple of days so you shouldn't have to do any weaning. The longer you offer these other foods the harder it will be. He may wait it out to try and get the other choices. Since it is so hot there, feed him during the cooler times of the day. I would suggest twice, early morning, late evening. Water will need to be offered at all times. Making up home meals is very difficult because what a dog requires for nutrition and what you require are very different. You would have to get supplements to add. A good quality dog food is all you need. Be firm and don't give in even with those sad puppy eyes. Dogs are very good at trying to control their environment. It is usually much harder on us than it is for the dog, we feel sorry for them or think they are going to starve and give into what they want, stand your ground.

Luba
July 31st, 2005, 12:47 PM
Whats wrong with giving a dog better food then the crap rendered down preservative contaminated dog food.

Dog food was only invented for 'our' convenience I'll never feed that crap to my dog again!

StaceyB
July 31st, 2005, 01:18 PM
I didn't say that you couldn't. All I said is that it is not as simple as just giving them some food. What they require and what we require for balanced nutrition are different. It can also be very time consuming, expensive. They would also need supplements. Depending on what you are giving you may also need to take extra care with teeth. If you are willing to do it right there is no problem but many people don't. There are many good quality balanced diets to choose from.

Luba
July 31st, 2005, 01:59 PM
Prepared dog food is not very good for dogs teeth. Either can/dry do no good for the teeth at all.

Brushing is required, and also a good gnaw on a raw beef bone.

I'd rather spend the time and little more money myself in ensuring my dogs good health then just be convenience with giving dog food. To me in my opinion dog food is like junk food...like feeding your dog McDonalds, Burger King or Wendy's every day.

:D
thats just me though

StaceyB
July 31st, 2005, 02:29 PM
I don't believe that canned/ nor grocery brands of food should ever be fed and teeth should be brushed regardless of the food they are getting. If you want to prepare your dogs food, that's great but if anyone is going to do this they need to know exactly what their dogs need and what will be required of them to do it. Prepared dog foods are getting better because many more dog people are more concerned with what their dogs are consuming. There are also many prepared foods that are quite low in preservatives and many are now using natural preservatives.

Luba
July 31st, 2005, 02:43 PM
Fresh food is always healthier for us and for our furries!

You don't need to get a diet perfect to have a healthy pet. If this were the case we all should be going to dieticians ourself to make our own bodies and diets perfect.

As long as it's a balanced diet with protein, carbs, essentials then I say it's A OK!

It's all in your own choice , and this is mine!

ILoveMutts!
July 31st, 2005, 03:13 PM
Feeding 2-3 times a day sounds more reasonable, as it is easier on the dog's stomach and allows the body to make better use of the food's nutrients.