Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy is sick, AGAIN!

cjtahooley
July 31st, 2005, 12:34 AM
I have a 7 week old female chihuahua named Lilah. Last Sunday she began throwing up and was very listless. She never lost her desire to eat or drink. I took her to the vet on Monday. He kept her all day, gave her fluids, and monitored her. He came up with nothing. (Her Parvo test was negative.) He sent us home with anti-vomiting meds, antibiotics, and a $200 bill. By Tuesday evening she was back to her normal self. Then today, Saturday, she began throwing up again and is listless. I don't know what could be wrong! Any advice? Thanks in advance for all who reply! Chris

StaceyB
July 31st, 2005, 12:38 AM
How long have you had her?

cjtahooley
July 31st, 2005, 12:41 AM
I have had her for 2 weeks.

twinmommy
July 31st, 2005, 12:47 AM
If the vet came up with nothing, why the antibiotics?

Has she been checked for coccidia?

StaceyB
July 31st, 2005, 12:49 AM
So you got her when she was 5 wks. That is very young, too young. Could it be possible that she has swallowed something she shouldn't have. I would bring her back to the vet. She hasn't started to build her own immunities yet and will be less likely to fight anything off.

Luba
July 31st, 2005, 01:41 AM
Don't take any chances, I"m not sure who released this pup to you at this young age but shame on them. The pup could very well be sick with immuno compromised system for the rest of it's life now because of early weaning.

If you got her from a breeder call them but first call your vet.

Wudjah
July 31st, 2005, 10:38 AM
I had a similar problem with my 6 month old chihuahua pup, although she had diarrhea as opposed to throwing up. It was diagnosed as stress induced colitis - probably not the same thing as your pup but one thing remains the same - tiny pups like chihuahuas get dehydrated very quickly from just a small about of vomit or diarrhea so if she is sick again, I would take her back to the vet ASAP.

cjtahooley
August 2nd, 2005, 12:53 AM
I'd first like to say thank you to all who replied. Knowing otheres were out there "listening" helps a lot.
I took Lilah back to the vet today. The outcome was not good. She has a congenital defect in her liver that makes her unable to process sugar. This defect makes her hypoglycemic, hence the vomiting and listless behavior. I decided the best course was to put her down since there is no cure for this. I am posting this in the hopes that should someone else face this problem, they can ask for their vets to look for this immediately. :(

pamha
August 2nd, 2005, 01:57 AM
I`m so sorry for your loss of Lilah :sorry:

Thanks for coming back to let everyone know what happened.

Prin
August 2nd, 2005, 02:18 AM
That's terrible! Did you get her from a breeder? If you are going to get another doggy, I suggest you ask people here for advice on finding a better breeder.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

Lissa
August 2nd, 2005, 07:49 AM
Poor Lilah! I am so sorry for both of you, it's so unfair! Thank-you for trying to do what's best for her.

I hope things look brighter soon.

Melissa

doggy lover
August 2nd, 2005, 07:53 AM
Sorry to hear about your puppy. If you got her from a breeder was there any health gaurentees or if from a pet store there might be one too. I have read that chichuahua's have alot of health issues, a co-worker has one with heart problems. You did the best you could do for her. :angel: My thoughts are with you.

heeler's rock!
August 2nd, 2005, 08:29 AM
I am very sorry for your loss. :( If you do get another puppy, any breed, please never get one that young again. 8 weeks is the youngest they should be let go so that they can wean properly and socialize with their siblings and mom. They learn a lot and develop a lot in those first 8 weeks. We'd all be happy to give you advice on what to look for in a reputible breeder, or rescue.

Again, I'm very sorry you had to go through this. Rest in peace little Lilah. :angel: