Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nylabones

BeagleMum
July 30th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Can dogs EAT Nylabones? Spencer has a beef flavour one but has started getting little pieces off. I have taken it away until I know.

StaceyB
July 30th, 2005, 06:59 PM
There are three different styles of nylabones. 1. Edible- they can eat them but remember that whatever they eay may take away from daily meals. 2. The rubbery ones- These have been designed to crumble, small enough to pass. 3. The hard ones- Designed to come apart in pieces the size of a grain of rice.

Puppyluv
July 30th, 2005, 07:01 PM
If you have either of the inedible ones, once the knobs at the end (the epiphysis if it were a real bone) come off, you should take the bone away. Until then, it's fine

raingirl
July 30th, 2005, 07:01 PM
There are edible and non-edible nylabones. Depends on which one you bought. If it is hard and plastic like, then no. It it is kinda swirly and not like plastic then yes, he can eat it.

I just checked and I couldn't find anything on the nylabone website that they have a non-edible beef flavoured bone. So it must be one of the edible ones. Did it get a little soft where he was chewing?

doggy lover
July 30th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Tucker has the nylabone in beef flavor, he just bites of pieces and spits them on the floor, he has had it since he was a puppy and I think it is time to throw it out. He use to love the ones that were kind on pressed togeather with flavors but he started really breaking off large pieces and I was scared that he would get it stuck somewhere, so I don't buy them any more. The only bones I buy Tucker are rawhide or the large smoked real beef bones. He is a real chewer and can still devour a bone even at 15 months.

BeagleMum
July 31st, 2005, 08:02 AM
I think that it might be the non-edible one. It is a little bit rubbery and you can see through it a bit. It did crumble as he was eating it and he spit out most of the pieces. It is not like compressed hard pieces, more like one solid bone.

If I wanted to get him a real bone from the butcher, what do I ask for and what should I watch out for? Would it upset his stomach the first time?

LL1
July 31st, 2005, 08:07 AM
You could ask for a soup bone,or beef marow bone,and I would cut off any globs of fat on it to avoid the runs.

StaceyB
July 31st, 2005, 09:40 AM
The only real bone I would ever suggest is a sterilized bone. There was far less chance that it would break or splinter.

BeagleMum
July 31st, 2005, 12:47 PM
StaceyB: Where would I get one of those?

StaceyB
July 31st, 2005, 01:04 PM
You should be able to find them at Superpet, some of the smaller pet stores in town and I think Walmart also carries them. Check the pkg to make sure it says sterilized. Some are just baked. The plain ones are white.

LL1
July 31st, 2005, 02:26 PM
I would never use a nylon bones or one from a pet store.Ick.Raw bones are the only things I would let my dogs eat.Cooked bones splinter.Fresh raw bones generally wont,but with a big recreational one you have to toss it out when it is no longer fresh and watch closely for any splintering.You could read up on the raw diet.

mona_b
July 31st, 2005, 06:36 PM
I actually prefer the Dentabone over the Nylabones.

With the Dentabone,there are no worries,they can eat the whole thing.Tron gets his raw knuckle bone and soup bone,but he loves his dentabone.They actually come in different sizes.They have actually come out with a Jumbo one.This is the one Tron gets.Mind you,it only lasts about 2 days.... :rolleyes: