Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Million $ ideas

StaceyB
July 30th, 2005, 07:32 PM
As I was reading one of the other threads I noticed some joking about million dollar ideas. I am sure we have all had ideas that show up later in the market place, which make you wonder. I had that idea, I could have been rich.
What is your million dollar idea, past or present?

raingirl
July 30th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Oh my...I have so many!

How about one of those sandwich maker things (you know, the ones that seal the edges and make it into 2 pockets) but with plates where you put a piece of bread down, put your hotdog on top, then another peice of bread, and you close the lid. The maker would toaste the bread and seal in the hotdog and heat it up all at once. You don't know how many times I have had hotdogs and no buns where I wish I had something like this!

StaceyB
July 30th, 2005, 07:40 PM
A fan of hot dogs huh.

raingirl
July 30th, 2005, 07:49 PM
I admit it. I love hot dogs! I always have some on hand.

Schwinn
July 31st, 2005, 12:31 PM
Let's see...

Magnetic Advertising on commuter cars
Tonneau Tent for trucks (actually designed it)
Various websites (one that you register with who sends a death notification to all your registered online friends, and your family only sends an e-mail to this company. Because really, do most of our families know much about our online lives)
Designed a superman where half went on one side of the glass, and half went on the other, and he looked like he was flying (I saw that a few years after)
Had an idea that electric cars could help recharge the battery by using generators hooked up to the wheels. That was about 16 years ago.
Wrote a program in the '80's to listen to music on the computer (I heard someone might be trying that now)
Had an idea for a recycling company while I was a student, and listened to my family who said it wouldn't work. A year later I read in a student newspaper about a guy out west who not only was making it work, didn't know what to do because he needed to buy more trucks, but was going back to school and didn't have time.

I've had a few, and unfortunatly never had the confidence to try any of them. I've had more, and I've seen a few of them tried by someone else and they made tonnes of money. I think someone has inserted a chip in my brain and is downloading info. :crazy:

Kariia
July 31st, 2005, 01:09 PM
A thing on a bus where when you pay for the bus fare, you get a lottery ticket too. (actually patented it)

Socks in 3-packs if you lose one

A mirror that says things like "Lookin' good!"

A toilet that sings to block out noises

xD I know, weird ideas.

kandy
August 1st, 2005, 04:00 PM
Ketchup in squeeze bottles. We came up with that one after a friend of ours shattered a plate while shaking the ketchup bottle to try to get some to come out of the bottle! They came on the market a few years later.

There have been others, and everytime hubby comes up with something good, I tell him to patent it but so far he hasn't done it and then he's always kicking himself when he sees it advertised on TV!

jjgeonerd
August 1st, 2005, 05:34 PM
About 9 months ago my wife and I had an idea to put kiosks in various locations (such as coffee shops) where a person could either download songs onto their ipod type device, or burn a custom CD for about $1/song. Like itunes but without all the required harware and connection at home. We even sent the idea to her cousin who has his own bsiness in the tech. industry in Silicon Valley and has a lot of contacts to get his opinion (he liked it).

About 5 months ago similar kiosks started showing up in Starbucks! :mad: Not sure yet if it is a million dollar idea, but someone obviously was already working on it when we had our brainstorm.

Like my wife's cousin says...anytime you think of something new about 10,000 other people just thought of the same thing. However, 99.9% of them will do nothing about it so you have to act!

CyberKitten
August 1st, 2005, 10:16 PM
- More money for virtual diagnostics and surgery. (It takes more than 1 mil tho)
- An emergency team that would go immediately to places in need around the globe and is available and in place as soon as needed. Sort of like a global version of CDC and Health Canada but only for places like Dufour. Currently, bureacracy in so many groups means that the poeple in need do not receive help till days! And in these kind of things, one needs hours!!
- More money for research into hemotological chemotherapy esp protein based meds that can blovk the growth of cancer cells.
- Tiny tech PC's with cameras (those exist now but are not common) that could enter a human body and zero in on the cancer cells and eat them up Pac man like. That is coming but is still sci fi. Kind of Body invaders meets mean cancer cells and the invaders win!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 2nd, 2005, 01:06 AM
Actually I had an idea to start a drive through grocery store. There would be a menu in the front or you could call ahead or email ahead of time. It would be great for people with kids that they dont want to take out of the car, or people that plain just dont want to go into a store. I am thinking it could be cheaper than a regular grocery store as the store would be smaller and cost less in rent.

Derek & Jeter
August 2nd, 2005, 02:04 AM
I once thought it would be good if, when you buy a Lotto 649 or any large national lottery ticket...

There's a little box on the side or along the bottom, where you have the option of checking it or not. There would be three choices:
Amnesty International Canada
Canadian SPCA or CanadianHumaneSociety, Animal Alliance or ?
National Food Bank
Other -split 3 ways between all of them or (charity to be named by you when you win).
You could check one or all three, agreeing that you would donate 5% of any prize over (maybe $100,000) to the charity you picked.
...or some variation of the above.
I'd call it the Charity Pool because most people like the idea of getting together or "pooling their resources" to help a cause - a group effort.

Another one was tubes of toothpaste with a toothbrush at the end,and when you squeeze the tube the toothpaste goes through little holes into the brush.

How do you patent an idea by the way. Is it true that if you mail it to yourself it's patented?

melanie
August 2nd, 2005, 02:30 AM
when i was a teen i thought of a smokers aid for travelling, that is a little machine that went onto your cigarette or you smoke through it that would not emit any smoke outside the machine when inhaling and you could exhale into it, like a super filter, that way i could have smoked on all those looonnnnggggg train trips across the country....... (got a car dont need it anymore :D ) god im a bit self obsessed :D :angel:

kariia, that toilet is a brilliant idea.... as a suffer of toilet shyness, i cannot go when i know someone is near the bathroom, (not in public though, thats strange) and a toilet that made noise would so help me, i am totally sure it would be a seller. although they odnt admit it, im sure others suffer too, go you good thing...... i will order one straight away if you ever get it going i assure you....

derek and jeter in the state of queensland australia they have a lotto system where part of the cost of each ticket is donated to the state medical system, is that the sort of thing you mean (and boy do queensland have a great med system its amazing and the main reason i would ever move there)

oh your all so smart you should form a think tank and make billions together, oh you could save all the worlds animals with that cash :D , i never have good ideas, jsut entertaining self centred ones :p :p

dogmelissa
August 3rd, 2005, 11:38 PM
No it's not true that if you email an idea to yourself it's patented. You have to register it with a patent company that checks world-wide to see if anyone else has patented it. And I've looked into this for an idea I recently had, and realized that it would basically cost me more money than I'll make in my lifetime, and there's no guarantee that I'll ever see a profit on that idea. Of course, the company that I looked into (the only one I could find in Canada) did a whole lot to help you with your idea; advertising and market research and such, but when you're looking at paying close to $100,000 to patent an IDEA, which isn't even a product yet, that's a little more than the "average" person can afford. And THAT is why 99.9% of people with a great idea don't patent it. THAT is why it's the big companies or the eccentric millionaires who come up with the "great" inventions. It's the little guys like us who have the ideas and we tell our friends, who tell their friends, and eventually it gets to someone who has the money to patent it, and they do, and the person who actually thought of it is SOL.

It sucks, but such is life. Me personally, I'd rather have the idea, share it with a company that I think might actually want to make it, and let them spend the money patenting it; I'll just wait for the actual product and enjoy it when it happens.

Back to my non-inventive life,
Melissa

melanie
August 4th, 2005, 05:32 PM
in australia patets are quite expensive to maintain, both in general cost and defending our patent...

i kow in the plant and botany world patents are stolen at as phenominal rate. basically a person will come up with a technique for propagating a certain species of plant. after 1yr the patent must be renewed, so basically what most ppl do is wait a year and then steal your porpagation methods, voila its that easy and there is always heaps of methods and such to steal, it can be worth heaps of money to the theif too if the any good at propagating....

so if you dont have the cash its not worth it and you were probably better off keeping your methods to yourself in the first place....