Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Morning Sickness w/ my dog!!

Altimate Z
July 30th, 2005, 04:52 PM
I am very concerned about my dog! :sad: I have a Chihuahua about 4 years old.. no history of injuries or health problems. She lives in a big house with me and she runs around on the deck about 3-4 times a day for 10-15 mins each time. During the day and night she seems very well.. alert, active, playful & shows no sign of pain. However, in the mornings and only in the mornings.. she vomits. I am clueless what it could be coming from. However, my guess is that we recently re-painted the deck a few months ago.. perhaps that may have something to do with it? But the morning vomitting has just started recently. Or may it have to do with heatstroke since it has been hot & humid? Is there anything i can do before my trip to the vet to help ease the vomitting or figure out what it's coming from? :confused:

raingirl
July 30th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Sometimes dogs vomit when their stomachs are empty (i.e. if they ate the previous night at 6pm, if they haven't eaten in the morning yet they might vomit).

Is it bright yellow/foamy?

Altimate Z
July 30th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Yes. Every time she vomits in the morning.. it is yellow & foamy. Hrmm, the schedule for her feeding time is twice a day.. first meal at noon-2pm and 2nd meal at 7-8pm. I wonder if it will help if i feed her earlier.. or add in a morning meal.

Puppyluv
July 30th, 2005, 05:53 PM
I used to have that problem with my dog if i slept in a little late :o and then walked her before feeding her. I would feed her a morning meal, as the time between 8 pm and noon is pretty long (i know i'd be grumpy after 16 hours of no food) That should clear it up :)

mona_b
July 30th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I would definately try feeding a bit earlier.

Her last meal is between 7-8pm,then she has to wait quite some time before she gets fed again the next day.

My boy gets fed at around 7:30-8am,then again between noon and 1pm,then the last feeding 6-7pm.And he's been on this schedual since he was 3 months old.And he's 9 years old now.I also have his dry down.He's not a Hoover,he just snacks on it.And he is not overweight.

Has she always done this or just recently?

Altimate Z
July 30th, 2005, 07:11 PM
This has happened before and when it did happen those few times, she would throw up once (in the mornings only too) but it would stop immidiately. It has been a while since that last happened but this time it has happened 3 mornings in a row. I will definitely wake up earlier to add in a morning meal for her tomorrow. Hopefully it will help. Thanks for all the advice! :o

mona_b
July 30th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Try that...And if it continues,then I would definately have her checked.

Let us know how it goes.... :)

Altimate Z
July 30th, 2005, 07:50 PM
There also one more thing that i thought i should add.. i don't know if it is just a coincidence but she has been spotting for the past week and her teets seem to be a bit enlarged. I think she is going through false pregnancy. Could that somehow link to her vomitting?

Puppyluv
July 30th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Based on that, I'm guessing she's not spayed...
I wouldn't normally link the two, but if you suspect a pregancy at all, please go to the vet!

Altimate Z
July 30th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Based on that, I'm guessing she's not spayed...
I wouldn't normally link the two, but if you suspect a pregancy at all, please go to the vet!

Hrmm.. i'm most definite that she is not pregnant. She hasn't had any contact with any male dogs.

Lucky Rescue
July 30th, 2005, 11:16 PM
You would be doing your dog a kindness to spay her. You can protect her against mammary tumours, seen in about 1% of dogs spayed before first heat, and increasing up to 50% in intact females over 5 years old, and cancers of the reproductive system.

You can also spare her false pregnancies, and deadly uterine infections like pyometra, which can occur after any heat and especially with age.

Constant heat cycles cause stress, which can lower immune systems and leave her susceptible to illness.

A simple surgery to help prevent any or all of the above and in a dog that size, not even very costly. It's the least we can do for our friends!:)

Altimate Z
July 30th, 2005, 11:35 PM
You would be doing your dog a kindness to spay her. You can protect her against mammary tumours, seen in about 1% of dogs spayed before first heat, and increasing up to 50% in intact females over 5 years old, and cancers of the reproductive system.

You can also spare her false pregnancies, and deadly uterine infections like pyometra, which can occur after any heat and especially with age.

Constant heat cycles cause stress, which can lower immune systems and leave her susceptible to illness.

A simple surgery to help prevent any or all of the above and in a dog that size, not even very costly. It's the least we can do for our friends!:)

Thanks for the info! :) As for why she has not been spayed yet it is b/c we have been trying to find her a mate.. still having trouble finding her the right one. But, we will definitely consider that if we decide not to mate her. My main concern is getting her health back to normal first. :sad:

mona_b
July 31st, 2005, 12:37 AM
Try adding the food in the morning.
When was the last time she got checked by your vet?

Ditto on what LR said.

Now as for you wanting to find a mate for her.

A few questions I have to ask you.

Do you show her?
Is she shown to Champion?
What about her parents?
Has your dog been health and genetic tested/certified?
Has her parents,grand parents,great grand parents and Great Great Grandparents?

Please read this.

http://www.chihuahualovers.com/articles/goodbreeder.html

http://www.chihuahualovers.com/articles/breedingyourpet.html

Altimate Z
July 31st, 2005, 04:09 PM
CURED!!! :thumbs up

*Phew!! Thanks everyone! Seems like the problem simply was her missing morning meal. I fed her some snacks before bedtime and i woke up about 4 hrs before her normal feeding time to give her an early morning breakfast. She didn't vomit today and seems to be doing well! :) Seems like i will be changing her feeding schedule. Thanks for everything. I'll keep everyone posted if anything. :D

TRICIA81
July 31st, 2005, 04:15 PM
YEAH I NOW IF I WENT THAT AMOUNT OF TIME WITHOUT ANY FOOD I WOULD BE NAUSIOUS.I THINK EVERY ANIMAL SHOULD HAVE THEIR FIRST MEAL IN THE MORNING NOT THE AFTERNOON.I AM GLAD TO HEAR THAT SHE IS OK NOW AND THE MORNING TIME FEEDING WORKED SO FAR. KEEP EVERYONE POSTED!! :thumbs up

mona_b
July 31st, 2005, 05:49 PM
Well that's good to hear. :thumbs up

Now that that's done,did you read the links I posted about the breeding?

I really hope you did. :)

You were pretty worried about her doing the puking thing in the mornings.How worried would you be if she couldn't deliver her babies.Or if you lost her while she was giving birth.These are things you need to take into consideration.Please read the links I posted.If you love her the way I think you do,then please have her spayed for the safety of her health.Leave the breeding to the pros who show and title their dogs,and have them health and genetic tested/certified.I really don't think you want to be classified as a BYB... :)

TRICIA,can you please lay off the caps...All caps on the internet means your yelling...I'm old but not deaf....... :D :p

Altimate Z
August 2nd, 2005, 03:58 AM
Well that's good to hear. :thumbs up

Now that that's done,did you read the links I posted about the breeding?

I really hope you did. :)

You were pretty worried about her doing the puking thing in the mornings.How worried would you be if she couldn't deliver her babies.Or if you lost her while she was giving birth.These are things you need to take into consideration.Please read the links I posted.If you love her the way I think you do,then please have her spayed for the safety of her health.Leave the breeding to the pros who show and title their dogs,and have them health and genetic tested/certified.I really don't think you want to be classified as a BYB... :)

TRICIA,can you please lay off the caps...All caps on the internet means your yelling...I'm old but not deaf....... :D :p

Thanks a bunch! All the info definitely helped. If i plan to make that step i will now be prepared! :) Let's say if i were to spay her.. how much does the surgery costs usually range from?

Also, a general question.. How long does the spotting usually last when female dogs are in heat?

mona_b
August 2nd, 2005, 09:10 AM
Can I make a suggestion.

Please don't make that step.There are far to many puppies/dogs in shelters as there is.And there are many Chi's in rescues.

You have an untitled,untested Chi that is probably not of standard.And she is a cutie patootie.Have her spayed and enjoy the many years you have with her.. :)

As for the cost,it depends on where you are.My dog is 9 and I can't think back to when he got it done at 6 month...I must be getting old....LOL

As for the spotting,not sure.I have only had males.

Call your vet and ask him/her...He/she will give you the cost of a spay and tell you how long the spotting lasts..... :)

I really hope you decide not to breed her..... :)

Lucky Rescue
August 2nd, 2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks a bunch! All the info definitely helped. If i plan to make that step i will now be prepared! Let's say if i were to spay her.. how much does the surgery costs usually range from?

The surgery is done by weight, so for a Chi, it would be the minimum - maybe 100$, depending a great deal on the vet. Call around everywhere.

This is much cheaper than a C-section if she cannot deliver her pups herself. This is quite common with large headed breeds like this.

Also, keep a sharp eye on her. She is a good candidate for deadly pyometra, which requires an emergency spay - very expensive.

Signs are swollen belly, lethargy, no appetite, fever.....

The bleeding during a heat lasts about a week, if memory serves me right.

Angerona
August 3rd, 2005, 06:03 AM
My moms dog is a greyhound/german shepard & she now gets a small snack before bed. Funny thing dont say the word "SNACK" or she will run & sit there & wait fer it :)
With the SNACk she still eats in the morning & then at Nite (But sometimes she waits & then eats only if Im there as I dont love with my mom) or she waits till its an 2 hours before her bedtime & eats her dinner & then wants a snack she is pretty smart though. So a bit of a snack is ok she doesnt gain extra weight though..shes slim & sexy :)
But thanks fer the info we shall watch her too ..as sometimes she doesnt want to eat fer 2 days & then she is fine I think she eats more when im there as she looks forward to me playing ball but im not over there everynite so she gets picky & not wanting to eat.
She also has a senstive stomach & is on the senstive food...we call it when she doesnt eat she gets the gurgles which you can actually hear from her tummy.
:ca: :pawprint: :thumbs up

sbcoy
August 12th, 2005, 08:53 AM
My dog also has been vomiting in the morning for the past 2 days, a small amount(less then 1 cup) that is yellow and a little foamy. She has also been eating a lot of grass. I feed her twice a day, at 9am and 5pm which is the same routine we have always had. She is a Vizsla, 6 years old and is spayed. Otherwise she appears to be fine, same appetite and energy, which is why I have not yet taken her to the vet. Although her breath smells a little different then usual. Any ideas? Thank you!

Lucky Rescue
August 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM
She may just have eaten something that upset her stomach. If this vomiting of bile continues, you need to take her to the vet and have her checked for liver function, certain types of worms etc. Take a stool sample with you.

sbcoy
August 12th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Thank you, I will.