Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

missed calls

raingirl
July 30th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I have call display on my cell (which is my only phone). I have got several calls from a 705 number in the last few days, always the same number, but no one leaves a message. All the times I missed the call.

I only know one person in the 705 area code, and it was a friend who was working up there last summer. I don't remember the number he was at then though, or whether he could be at the same number again this summer (he goes to Law school in Halifax so may not be at the same place this summer).

In situations like this do you wait for them to call again, or would you call the number? It's long distance so I don't really want to call it. It it was local, I would call it.

I tried 411 and online in google and other resources, but it must be an unlisted number.

What do you guys do? It's bugging me because I want to know who it is!!

Puppyluv
July 30th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I used to get those, and sometimes I'd get 3 or 4 in an evening. When I was finally home to answer the phone, it turned out to be things like my credit card company offering me a new "spcial deal for only 5.99 a month" and research polls. I called back a couple of times, but all I ever got was a message saying who they were and that because they are designed to make outgoing calls only, they do not have a message centre (and therefore you can't leave a message to say 'stop calling') If I were you I wouldnt bother calling back, they'll call you :D

melanie
July 30th, 2005, 06:18 PM
im not that involved with my phone, and if someone wants to talk to you they will call back if it is important enough, hey i dont even have voice mail, if ya wanna talk to me you will ring when im here or find a way.... :p

dont waste your money, if its importnat they will cal back...

pags
July 30th, 2005, 08:14 PM
I'm one of those people who feels downright invaded if somebody keeps calling my cell phone over and over... So I will inevitably call the number back to find out who it is. Most of the time it's a wrong number but it's worth the call to me to end the suspense!!

I do this too because in my former life I managed a collection agency (you know.. bill collector?) and I am acutely aware of how long a wrong number can remain listed with the wrong names and just how often those numbers get called if somebody doesn't take the time to call back and say 'HI I'm not who you think I am don't call here.' As a matter of fact -- I kept getting hang ups on my phone years ago.. no messages.. Every day it would ring four times a day.. I wouldn't answer as I was screening calls at the time. Finally I got caller ID on the phone. I was home for lunch one day when it rang as usual.. Checked ID and it was the number from my office... So I answered and it was one of my collectors... She was really really confused. I finally told her I would explain when I got back to the office. When I got back from lunch I went straight to her desk.. looked up her call list and removed my number the account she was calling with this explanation: "Do not call - this number now belongs to my boss" :p

twinmommy
July 30th, 2005, 10:30 PM
why don't you punch in 10-10-710 (it's one of those long distance carriers) YOu are not charged for your first 10 secs.
it'd let you see who it is, and then after that, I think the rate is 4 cents/min.

It works here, in QC, but I believe it's a nationwide #.

shannon1233A
July 31st, 2005, 08:07 AM
I know what it is because they also called me 3 times this week, as I also live in Ontario. The first 2 times, when I answered, no one there, so I wrote the number down from my call display. The 3rd time, someone was there. It's from some Georgian Bay Retreat, where they offer you a free weekend then try to sell you a condo or something . See, the last time, I told them their number had called three times, 2 of which no one answered. It was explained the calls are computor generated, so it's unusual to get a real person. If the computer dials your number, and it gets a reply on another number, the automatic message is already busy with them. Hence, you get no responce if you answer and it disconnects.

It's a telemarting scheme, many don't use real people anymore, but computer generated calls with an automatic message saying you've been chosen, blah, blah, blah, if you want to take advantage of this "offer" please call 1-705- xxxxx. GRRRRRRRR . Since it's computer gen. and not real person, you can't ask to be taken off the list. After talking to Bell to complain, you can do something about it though! If you enter a bunch of zeros, when you get the call, it screws up their system and you will no longer get the calls!!YEAAA!

EDITED TO ADD; DO NOT TRY TO EVEN GO, AS SAID IT'S A SCAM

mrjohndoe
July 31st, 2005, 10:36 AM
Big warning! Don't even do this. My brother & sister-in-law tried this for a sort of mini-vacation and they were forced to sit in an office for six hours while someone blocked the door. I asked why he didn't just call the police on his cell phone because it's unlawful confinement. He never knew that.

DogueLover
July 31st, 2005, 01:44 PM
Please be very careful when returning calls to numbers you do not know.
Right now, here in my province there has been a province wide alert posted by the RCMP because there is a phone scam going on.
You are called and told to give them a call back at 905 or 705 area code and they keep you on the phone for almost a half hour. The call costs you $2200.00/minute.
It is an area code in Bermuda and because you called it you are responsible for the call.
I don`t return calls from numbers I don`t know simply because if someone wants to talk to me badly enough they will call me back or leave me a message.

mona_b
July 31st, 2005, 09:02 PM
Hey Shannon,I got that call too....Actually a few times....LOL

The most recent one was a few weeks ago when I was back home at my dads.It was an actual person.I told him I wasnt interested and they are not to call here again.

One best friends and her husband went.I have no clue why... :rolleyes:

It was a one night stay(free)..But what they were getting at was a timeshare for the resort...They said no thank you,but thank you for the free night.....LOL

DogueLover now how does that work?

Bermudas area code is 441

My area code is a 905..And I have family and friends with 705..So how on earth can that be linked to Bermudas 441?...Just curious.

And to be honest,I wouldn't think you would be responsible for it.I know Bell wouldn't make you pay for.Not for a call that was $2200.00 a minute.They know that no call cost that much a minute.And I'm sure the billing office would find something fishy with it.

DogueLover
July 31st, 2005, 10:16 PM
I don`t know how it works, but I know that the RCMP issued a warning and public notice so I know it is not something that is being taken lightly here.
There have been several people here that have been scammed, I am not sure how it works but there is a code that you have to key in on the keypad and it then links you to another number. The poor people that got sucked into this are being held responsible as they direct dialed the number and therefore it is their responsibility to pay for the call.
I will get the notice and post it when I find it.
There is also a code that gives the person on the other end of the line access and permission to bill calls to your phone number.
Most of the time it is seniors that they target and that is very unfortunate.

The fraud alert came into our email from a friend who has family that works with the RCMP. I know it is very real, checked with our local RC`s and they told me that numerous people thought it was a hoax until they got their bill and were told that they were responsible for the charges.

I`ll post it as soon as I get time to find it in my email.

shannon1233A
August 1st, 2005, 08:34 AM
You can contact the RCMP through the Canadian Anti-Fraud Call Centre. I had to regarding another similar matter and they're very good :

Thank you for contacting PhoneBusters, the Canadian Anti-Fraud Call Centre.
Your message has been received.

PhoneBusters is designed to gather and disseminate consumer fraud inquiries and complaint data.

A representative will contact you if further information is required.
Please visit our web site www.phonebusters.com for additional information

Note: Advanced Fee Fraud Letters (Nigerian-type letters) should be directly forwarded to wafl@phonebusters.com

Bearsmom
August 1st, 2005, 08:35 AM
I always get them from Cranberry Resort. It's a 705 number and drives me CRAZY!!!!

raingirl
August 1st, 2005, 10:08 AM
My parents do the cranberry resort seminars all the time. They don't mind sitting for a few hours, getting food, a weekend out (the seminar comes with a free few nights at the resort), then after, just for coming, they got a free week at cranberry or any other timeshare off a list. My parents do it each year, and get 2 free vacations out of it.

Bearsmom
August 1st, 2005, 02:49 PM
My parents do the cranberry resort seminars all the time. They don't mind sitting for a few hours, getting food, a weekend out (the seminar comes with a free few nights at the resort), then after, just for coming, they got a free week at cranberry or any other timeshare off a list. My parents do it each year, and get 2 free vacations out of it.

Yeah, but if we wanted to go to Cranberry, we'd call them! :D

kandy
August 1st, 2005, 03:31 PM
There was a phone scam going through here a few years back. I can't remember the area code, but if you called it, the number actually forwarded your call to an overseas number that had a setup like a phone sex line that charged you more money than just the long distance fees and that's why you'd get charged the exorbitant rates.

I get all sorts of calls that aren't even for me on my cell phone. I figure if they don't leave a message, then it must not have been important. I have an answering machine at home, and voice mail on my cell phone. If someone wants me to call them back, they better leave a message.

Sometimes I really hate caller ID. At the college where I work, we have more than 300 extensions, but apparently on caller ID, it only shows our main number. Because I normally got the phone calls that the main reception desk didn't know where to send, I got calls all the time: "Someone called me from this number, what did you want?" I think that anyone who has caller ID should be required by law to also have an answering machine so that someone can actually leave a message saying who they are and what they want.

One time while dog/house sitting for my mom, I kept getting a call for some guy. My mom had the same phone number for many, many years and I kept trying to tell the girls that they had the wrong number! They acted like I was lying and kept getting more and more upset each time they called. The final call was from a person I assume was their mother since she sounded quite a bit older than the other girls. She was also extremely upset that I would'nt let her talk to this person and I finally had to tell her to quit calling or I would call the police and have her charged with harrassment. I hung up on her and the phone kept ringing every few minutes, but I never answered it again that morning.