Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Indoor cat got outside, gone 8 hours now, hasnt come back!

Sneaky
July 30th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Help! My indoor cat got outside somehow last night. I saw him last in the house around 11:30 pm. We realized he was missing around 3 am when we went to bed and he didnt come for cuddles (a nightly ritual).
We search all around in the mobile park and I called out on the main road, nothing. So we went to bed and I left the window open and hoped he would come back. Its 9 am now, I have gone out around the house and called and called and shook his food bowl. I dont know what to do!
Obviously he has gotten lost. He is about 1 year old and has never been outside. He has all his shots, but doesnt have a tattoo- we were going to get one done this september when the money came in. We just got the cat in January from a friend.
Any ideas what I should do? I worry he is dead somewhere because he is not car smart or outdoor smart. I am going to post missing signs with a picture around. Please if you have any ideas, please let me know.
I am going to call the shelters, vet clinics after I go around the neighborhood looking one more time.

shannon1233A
July 30th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Sorry to hear that Sneakypete. Are there other animals around? Does he come to the sound of shaking his favorite package of treats? Maybe you could try that, and put out his favorite toy and some food. I noticed you mentioned mobile park, can you check underneath?

I hope you find him and keep us updated! :angel:

Lucky Rescue
July 30th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Cats who have never been out usually don't go far, unless something scares or chases them.

Plaster the trailer park with signs and offer a reward, but don't say the amount. Make sure everyone knows you're looking for your cat. Go out late at night with food and walk all around, calling quietly.

Get a humane trap, bait it with tuna and leave it out during the day in a sheltered area next to your home.

Cats are incredible survivors, so don't give up!

Please keep us updated!

badger
July 30th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Is he neutered? If not, when you get him back - here's hoping! - it would be a good idea to have it done. Neutered male cats wander less.

Sneaky
July 30th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Yes, he is neutered.
I have tried going around shaking his food bowl
and his pounce treat container, no results so far.
I am going to make up missing signs
and plaster them up. I keep calling him.
There are tons of other cats and dogs in the neighborhood.
A lot of activity going on too, I mostly worry he has been
hit by a car.
I called the local pound, and both the vet clinics near me and
left descriptions. I will call the spca when they open - i guess
they are not open till noon on saturdays here.
How long do you think he can be missing before I can assume he is
either been killed or is lost too badly to be found?
I really am worried hes been hit by a car, though traffic is not too busy here, it is fairly constant.
I also looked under the house and called, nothing. Maybe he go into someones car through an open window, or into a shed, or something.
How long do you think he will "explore" before he at least tries to make
his way home?

shannon1233A
July 30th, 2005, 12:29 PM
How long do you think he can be missing before I can assume he is either been killed or is lost too badly to be found?

Personally, I'd never give up. I've seen people searching for their pet for weeks, and cats do have a tendency to wander and wander from what I understand and eventually come home, or be found.

Have you driven around to check the roads/ditches, if you're afraid he's been hit? It may ease your mind, one way or another.

The reason I asked about other animals, is first he could be hurt by a fight, and second, if you leave food outside, other animals could be attracted to it, then kitty would be afraid to come around. Just keep an eye on it to keep other animals away from it. It's a nice day, so put it out, shake those pounces like crazy, call his name, put up fliers, if you can, recruit kids on their bikes to help look for him, knock on doors and ask them to check their sheds, etc. Good luck, keep us updated! :grouphug:

Katze
July 30th, 2005, 03:42 PM
pete,

Don't give up. I lost a cat for 10 days once and finally received a call from someone who had noticed one of my posters and had seen the cat in a neighbor's yard only 3 blocks away from me!
If your cat is an indoor only kitty he probably is hiding quite close to you. If he was chased or spooked while outside he still would not run further than necessary to hide. He is probably a bit spooked by all the goings on and noises in the park, so it would be good if you went out at 3- 4 am and looked for him under the cover of dawn and in the quiet.

chico2
July 30th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Pete,just a couple of weeks ago,my neignbors indoor cat was found.She had been gone for two weeks,thank's to a kind lady who fed her and gave her water,then called HS.The cat was found,only 4 houses away. She was microchipped so HS called the owner with the good news.
I know the feeling when your cat is nowhere to be found,but don't ever give up,he needs you,hopefully he'll find his own way home.
Keep on looking,calling him,ask to go on peoples property,check bushes and crevises were he could be hiding and of course put up posters.
The problem with cats is,that people often see cats hanging around,not thinking much of it,but if they see a poster with a missing cat,they might keep an eye out for him.
Good Luck!!

happycats
July 30th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Don't give up!! My MIL's cat went missing for 1 year!! we thought for sure she was dead or lost, then one day out of the blue, she walks in the front door, jumps on the couch and starts cleaning herself, like she was never gone!

Also my oldest cat Lucky, ,went missing for 3 days, the neighbor found him on her front porch! I called and called, and he must have heard me, but I guess he was disoriented! (Lucky was about 5 at the time and was an indoor cat) Cats are very resiliant, smart, and can adapt quite well to most situations.

I wish you good luck in finding you furbaby and we all have our fingers crossed for his safe return!! :fingerscr :fingerscr :grouphug:

badger
July 30th, 2005, 04:09 PM
I find also that it's useful to talk to people, if you see someone working in his yard or whatever, ask them if they've noticed a new cat in the area, that sometimes jogs their memory. A picture is ESSENTIAL.

BeagleMum
July 30th, 2005, 04:50 PM
My friend's cat ran away and after 6 months came back, and this cat was declawed. I don't know how she survived. I would say in general, cats have a good sense of direction. Maybe someone found the cat and brought him inside or something. The signs are definitely a good idea.

The cat might be scared and hiding somewhere, maybe he will come back once everything in the area quiets down and people go to bed. I would leave a bowl of food outside for him in case, just watch that you don't attract strays.

Keep us posted.

Karin
July 30th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Cat's are very aware of where they live, 9 times out of ten cats do not return home because they can't. Usually someone has them locked indoors, making them a pet of their own, thinking the cat is a stray. Sometimes unfortunatly, the cat is injured and cannot return either. I hope the latter is not the case here.
I'm willing to bet he's found a cozy lap somewhere and the people are crazy about him....not knowing he is being sought. Time to pound the pavement again.

Sneaky
July 30th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Well I have called and filed missing reports with the pound, spca, and both the vet clinics within 20mins of here. Nothing. I have put up signs, and scouted again, calling, no luck.
I did put a bowl of food out, but my other cat ate it. Hes a big piggy.
Tonight when it gets dark me and the boyfriend are going to go
for a walk and see if we cant seek him out.
Tomorrow I will go talk to the neighbors, give them a chance to have seen him.

Derek & Jeter
July 30th, 2005, 08:57 PM
When I moved 4 years ago my (neutered) cat decided to wander. I put up a lot of black & white picture flyers, covering about a mile radius.

I had almost given up. Then I found a color photo of him taken at night and made about 50 new flyers - bright and colorful. I went to a small business in the area to have them made up. Within a week, someone a block from here saw him in her yard at night and called me. He was hiding under her porch. I had to crawl under all the while saying his name, softly, because I wasn't sure if he recognized me. I guess he was hiding in the daytime. That night was like 5 Christmas's rolled into one.

A bright color photo on a white background with bold black lettering and essential words only, got people's attention. It was just 8 1/2 x 11 paper. It was so eyecatching I felt I wouldn't need as many, and that proved to be true. If you don't have a good photo go here http://www.pets.ca/petsites/index_cats.php
on this site and look for a cat that closely resembles yours and ask for permission to copy it. You'll be surprized at how many "clones" you'll see. Any lost cat site has good color photos.

You should call pounds in neighbouring towns too to be safe.

Good Luck!!! :thumbs up

twinmommy
July 30th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Try running an electric can opener outside. If he likes wet food, tuna, etc. This has worked for me in the past. :fingerscr

Don't give up, and keep us updated. :grouphug:

doggy lover
July 30th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Keep doing what you are doing, it all seems good to me. My friend lost her indoor cat for 10 days before, he just wondered home one morning. I lost my cat for 3 days she ended up being locked in a dresser drawer, she had crawled up behind the dresser and got in we never use it so never really looked in it. She doesn't cry loud so we didn't hear her. I happen to look at the dresser it was open a tiny bit and seen something move, thankfully she was fine and she still does it but now we look better when she is missing. Check all crawl spaces under your home, in your home, attics and so on you never know where they could hide. Look and look again, they are so sneeky. Good luck I'll keep my :fingerscr for you.

Derek & Jeter
July 31st, 2005, 12:06 AM
I was thinking it would be helpful if when posting about a lost pet, the OP would include their Postal/ZipCode and Area Code along with the name of the town, for people like me who sometimes scan the found sites. Because of the spidery way the web is set up, I could go to a site that the OP hadn't been to.

It might be helpful in other ways too. Just a thought. :)

Sneakypete,

My cat is very brave but, when he was an outdoor cat, even though he could "leap tall buildings with a single bound" :D he was terrified of cars and would run in the opposite direction at the sound of them. So the fact that your cat might be scared of the outdoors (since it's new to him) could be a good thing. :love: :pawprint:

Sneaky
July 31st, 2005, 12:24 AM
Hi,
so heres what we did today. I made up flyers, very colorful, full color newest picture of him, so you can see his distinctive white moustache on his black chocolate point face. I went door to door to almost every home in my mobile park, and 1 person thinks she saw a dog chasing "a cat that looked l;ike yours but i only saw his rear end", and another lady said she saw" a cat that was super pretty just like that by the house with the pink roses, and a dog chased it off". I left flyers with anybody who wanted one, and posted all the rest to as many mailboxes, telephone poles, etc that I thought were both easy to see from driving, walking, and were entrances to other mobile parks or streets.
Tonight we just got back from a walk around the park. Shaking food dish and pounce treats both seperately, one at a time, then together, and calling his name and making all the cat calling sounds. had 6 cats following us, but no Rocky.
Tomorrow we are going to do the perimeter neighbors, go door to door and see if the people on the streets surrounding ours might have seen him.
I am also going to take in a color photo to all the vet clinics and shelters within a 45 minute drive.
The house with the pink roses , nothing tonight. A cat door on the wall and noone home, and i shook the cat treats by every opening to skirting, decks, stairs, and sheds.
We also panned the roads in the car, no deceased bodies. I have to work tomorrow so on the way there or back will post more flyers further from from.
I am starting to have a sneaking suspicion that he has either A) been scooped by someone and taken inside, possibly someone who wasnt home when we went around tonight at dinner time, or B) Enjoying his new found freedom, as a very very curious kitty he is or C) has wandered or been spooked too far away and cannot find his way back.
We only moved here march 1st, so it is not long for him. He has been out 2 times on the harness as we were starting to harness train him for walks.
Perhaps why he wanted to go outside.

Sneaky
July 31st, 2005, 12:42 AM
Also, as per another poster said, perhaps some people here are in my area, or know of it, or can surf sites etc.
The area is the Timberlands Road/Hallberg Road area
Cassidy area near the Nanaimo Airport, approximately 10 minutes north of Ladysmith and 15 minutes south of Nanaim.
Postal code is V9G 1L2, area code is 250.
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada.
And heres a picture of him just in case anyone happens to be in this area.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/SoSnEaKy/rocky.jpg

shannon1233A
July 31st, 2005, 06:37 AM
What a beautifull, beautiful kitty. Certainly a kitty like that could be in someone's home, he's a cat that anyone would be proud to have; if that's the case, lets hope they have a conscience and will return him to his rightful owner.

Looks like you're doing all the right things. Just one more suggestion. You state you just moved Mar. 1st. Would it be possible to also canvas the area you came from? Without knowing how far it is, could it be possible he got confused or scared and is heading back there to his old territory? :angel:

Know I'm keeping you and kitty in my thoughts, and praying for a happy reunion. Good news you didn't find him on the side of the road, that gives me more hope.

Good job Sneaky, keep it up, I'm sure he wants to be home as much as you want him there! What about asking kids in the neighbourhood to help?

chico2
July 31st, 2005, 07:26 AM
He is beautiful Pete,it is very possible someone has taken him in...sometimes adding"needs medicin"to a poster helps.Might make anyone who has him,think twice about keeping him and call you.
I know it's a lie,but these are desperate times...

SnowDancer
July 31st, 2005, 09:06 AM
I would continue what you are doing. You will also have to consider that your cat may well not recognize his house as he does not go out. This happened with a former neighbour's cat - we finally found him a week later hiding behind the fire place wood at a house 3 doors down. I found another neighbour's cat up a tree a block up the street unable to get down. One thing to consider though, as nuts as it sounds - neither of these cats recognized their "parents" until back in their own houses. Not like dogs. But as soon as they were home, all hugs and kisses and "where is my food". I hope you find your cat. I know it is very hard worrying about what might have happened - it is better to know.

Midgetlittle86
July 31st, 2005, 03:44 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your cat. My cat ran away twice and both times she was gone for about two weeks.She is an indoor cat and before she ran away she's never been outside. She came pregnant both times she ran away, the first time she ran away and had kittens I kept all three. Cats usally find their way back home. I would put up posters and such and if your cat doesn't come home within a week i would check your local animal shelters and see if he's in there.

TRICIA81
July 31st, 2005, 04:04 PM
SORRY TO HEAR BOUT YOUR BEAUTIFUL CAT. I HOPE HE IS OKAY AND SAFE. I HAVE NEVER HAD A CAT GET OUT SO I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH MORE YOU COULD POSSIBLY DO CAUSE IT SEEM TO ME YOU HAVE DONE EVERYTHING YOU COULD SO FAR. I HAVE NEVER HAD A CAT GET OUT BUT I KNOW I WOULD BE DEVASTATED IF EITHER ONE DID. HOPE YOU FIND HIM SOON!!! :fingerscr

Sneaky
July 31st, 2005, 11:11 PM
Well let me tell you about it
Last night late, when we went for our walk around with the
food bowl and treats, our big "cougar" Ice walked around with us,
helping call by mewing all the way
About an hour after we got home, i heard a noise at the window
and looked out. There was Rocky! So I yelled to my boyfriend "Rockys outside!! hes here!" and when I said rocky, Ice swivels his head, runs across the deck the fastest i have ever seen that 30lb cat run, jumps on rocky and pins him to the deck!
Can you say smart cat or what!
Anyway so my boyfriend runs out, leaps at the cat as he struggles free and takes off, misses and lands on his knee and makes another leap!
Well Rocky gone again.
So I waited about an hour, then went out and sat on the deck with the treats and called him and he came! He smelled so bad and was all dirty, and covered in burrs and who knows what else, and so timid and scared!
But hes home! And by george he aint ever gonna get out again!

Cinnabear
August 1st, 2005, 02:10 AM
What a relief for you. I'm so glad he came home. He's such a gorgeous cat. :)

CyberKitten
August 1st, 2005, 03:08 AM
Thank goodness he is back!! What a scare!!!! It just takes a second, sigh!! But I am so thrilled for you and your family!!!! :thumbs up What a beautiful kitty!! - is he Himmelayan?

Sneaky
August 1st, 2005, 05:11 AM
He is a pure-bred Birman
thank you all for your support and advice
during my time of crisis!
I am so relieved he is home!

shannon1233A
August 1st, 2005, 07:01 AM
YEAAAAA! What wonderful news to start the day with! :party: :party: :party:

chico2
August 1st, 2005, 07:05 AM
Finally some good news :thumbs up after what has been a very troubling week on Pets.ca.
I am so happy he's back home,Rocky is stunning,but I would be equally happy were he just a regular Tabby like my very own Rocky :D

CyberKitten
August 1st, 2005, 12:14 PM
Ahh, a Birman. I should have guessed. His hair looked a bit long in the pict so in the AM (and I am not an AM person no matter how often I get up early for work, lol), I thought maybe a seal pt Himel, Birmans are indeed beautiful and Rocky is lovely - a lovely INDOOR FOREVER cat I suspect. ;)

Sneaky
August 1st, 2005, 02:54 PM
Yes, indoor forever!
Unless we maybe buy private property and put a pet barrier fence
(the type that keep your pets in and other pets out).
But I dunno, he is so soft and fluffy and sweet I dont want
him to become a typical "tomcat" :-p
Best thing is he was free!
We got him from our old landlords,
who got him from the spca, he was brought in by a friend of a lady
who had been breeding these cats, and had recently passed on,
and the friend didnt want a whole herd of kittens so she gave them to
the spca. What a find!

CyberKitten
August 1st, 2005, 02:58 PM
You did indeed luck out - he rivals my YY, lol

doggy lover
August 2nd, 2005, 05:43 AM
I'm glad to hear he is home, now give him big hugs and ground him for a month. LOL