-->

Canadian SPCA?

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Interesting article re Canadian SPCA.

http://www.spcans.ca/library/Press_Releases_20jun05_CSPCA.htm

poodletalk
July 30th, 2005, 10:02 AM
The Canadain SPCA is actually the SPCA Montreal. There Employees have high salaries and the animals get euthanised.

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM
The article mentions that it is a Montreal group.Misleading campaign I think.

All SPCAs euthanize animals.

poodletalk
July 30th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Not all SPCA'S euthanise animals....SPCA Monteregie is the largest no-kill SPCA in the Province of Quebec. All animals are healthy and sterilized. SPCA Monteregie has over 250 dogs and 75 cats (not including kittens)

SPCA Montreal is known to hussle money from other Provinces.

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 10:11 AM
They dont ever euthanize animals?I find that hard to believe.No kills kill animals all the time.

poodletalk
July 30th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Only if the animal is EXTREMLY sick and there's no hope for it.Cancer...
Besides that NEVER! Check out their website www.spcamonteregie.com
or call them and ask them for yourself. NEVER! Unless the animal is EXTREMLY sick no hope and the animal is suffering from that sickness.

I also posted your news article on the news section about a month ago and the Director of the SPCA Montreal was defending his actions for asking people from Nova Scotia for money

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Wow,its different here in Ontario.I had always heard Montreal was worse so that is surprising that its not.

poodletalk
July 30th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Like I said, SPCA Monteregie is the largest no-kill in the Province of Quebec. SPCA Monteregie is NOT affilated with other SPCA'S. They are on their own.
If you are impressed with the SPCA Monteregie, well you can always show your support by sponsoring an animal or buying their annual calendars. Or telling people to adopt animals from them. They are raising money for their new building fund. (see their website and you will see the details about their new building)

The SPCA Monteregie is out in the country, so the animals are not in cages all day long, they are put outside to run in large enclousures. It's very beautiful out there.

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Sounds great.I guess they have to turn down animals when they are full.Our no kill shelters do euthanize animals when rescues cant take them(the ones that will deal with rescues).I saw some posts about urgents dogs in the other SPCA in Monreal,can this one take them in?

poodletalk
July 30th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Even though they are running at full capicty, adoptions create roations which ables to take in one more. You have to understand, SPCA Monteregie does a great job on very limited funds.Animals are coming in every day from people who were going to euthanise their dog or cat neglect cases, abused cases, dogs cats who just had a litter and they are still nursing their animals and of course strays. If more people adopted from no kill SPCA'S or rescue groups, their wouldn't be a need for kill SPCA'S OR pounds.

Lucky Rescue
July 30th, 2005, 10:39 AM
I believe the SPCA Monteregie is the ONLY no-kill shelter in this province, and to my knowledge also the only one to actually promote their animals and do something to try and get them homes.

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I do understand that,I run a rescue.Ontario shelters face the same thing as well.But they do euthanize animals when rescues cant take them,so they are animals that could be saved IMO.I hope they can take the ones in need from the other shelter.
Even though they are running at full capicty, adoptions create roations which ables to take in one more. You have to understand, SPCA Monteregie does a great job on very limited funds.Animals are coming in every day from people who were going to euthanise their dog or cat neglect cases, abused cases, dogs cats who just had a litter and they are still nursing their animals and of course strays. If more people adopted from no kill SPCA'S or rescue groups, their wouldn't be a need for kill SPCA'S OR pounds.

poodletalk
July 30th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Actually Lucky, theirs a new no-kill SPCA just opened about 6 months ago. They are not running on the scale of SPCA Monteregie yet. But they are a no kill SPCA. I believe they are located in the laurentians! (can't remmber) I wll do some research and let you know.

Yes, the SPCA Monteregie works very hard to promote their animals and find them their forever homes.

Theirs a dog adoption day in Knowlton on August 20th at mill pond park between the hours of 12:00-3:00. All animals are sterilized with up to date vacinations. For more info go to www.spcamonteregie.com

Golden Girls
July 30th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I heard heresay - SPCA euthanizes over 75% of animals that go through their doors. They do have adoptions and charge I believe $185/dog which includes s/n and vacc - but no follow up if adopters actually do this. meaning if u want to breed say a purebred - hey, it only cost u the adoption fee.

I also just found out the Montreal SPCA accepted and signed a municipal contract Dec 7/04 with our Sud/Ouest city (part of Montreal) to act as OUR pound...

It's a no wonder - they don't have the time to say act when a complaint is made against animal abuse!!!!! Their TOO busy picking up unwanted animals - just to sell them. IMO of course

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 11:29 AM
They charge for neutering and dont do it?

Golden Girls
July 30th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Interesting article re Canadian SPCA.

http://www.spcans.ca/library/Press_Releases_20jun05_CSPCA.htm
someone e-mailed me this in June as well! Imagine

Golden Girls
July 30th, 2005, 11:36 AM
They charge for neutering and dont do it? They don't enforce it, is what I meant. I mean rescue's from what I know charge adoption fees but usually s/n n vacc b4. once in while for health/age adoption is done but they follow up and make sure u s/n. But SPCA charges fees - and if animal is not s/n yet - u just make an appointment.

ex: My sister 3 yrs ago adopted a non s/n dog from there, signed a contract that she agrees to s/n but decided to go to her own vet instead. Yes at her own cost but no one ever questioned her!

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Wish they neutered before adoption,thats awful,is this for adult animals or just pups/kits?

Golden Girls
July 30th, 2005, 11:53 AM
All I know is if the animals are not s/n prior for whatever reason's you can adopt but must sign a contract that you will have it done at their expense bec it's included in fees. But this too is not enforced - who's checking ...

At least with my sister's dog - this is exactly what happened. She has the contract but she also has her vet bill to prove s/n but no one every questioned her.

That's why alot of rescue's here are contacted prior to adoption esp if they c it's a pure bred. But these rescue's don't get paid for their work !!! SPCA does.

Lucky Rescue
July 30th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Wish they neutered before adoption,thats awful,is this for adult animals or just pups/kits

NO animals are spayed/neutered. Period.

Adopters pay for it, and take a voucher home, but if they decide to breed that dog or cat the next day, they are perfectly free to do so.

Obviously the voucher system does not work and does nothing at all to cut down overpopulation.

Right here on this board someone told of her friend adopting a cat from the SPCA, then whoops - it's pregnant. Think of this happening 500 times a year, and imagine the consequences.

They adopt out one cat, and get back 5. Or much worse, if just one of the offspring has a litter as well.

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Who contacts the rescues?

Lucky Rescue
July 30th, 2005, 12:04 PM
theirs a new no-kill SPCA just opened about 6 months ago.
Is this the one you mean? Laurentides-Labelle?

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/QC11.html

Who contacts the rescues?
I know there are some volunteers who try to help by contacting rescues. This is how we heard about the 2yr old Himi, who was subsequently killed.:(
http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/QC12/QC12.2646332-1-x.jpg

poodletalk
July 30th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Yes Lucky, thats the new no kill shelter.

Yes, I know of a story of a family adopted a female husky. OOPS, the female husky got pregent the family dumped the husky and her litter. Of course, they didn't go back to the SPCA Montreal because they didn't want their dogs euthanised!

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks for clarifying that they do not neuter anything Lucky.When rescues are contacted by volunteers are the animals released to the rescues or do they want them to adopt them?Or send adopters?

poodletalk
July 30th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Yes Lucky, thats the new no kill shelter.
Yes, I know of a story of a family adopted a female husky from the MOntreal SPCA unsterilized. OOPS, the female husky got pregent the family dumped the husky and her litter. Of course, they didn't go back to the SPCA Montreal because they didn't want their dogs euthanised

Luba
July 30th, 2005, 12:13 PM
How horrible that they don't spay or neuter :(

Sounds just like TAS

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Do either of the two you posted are no kill release to rescues?

poodletalk
July 30th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Those 3 urgent German Shepherds that are going to be euthanised, from what I heard and I believe this, they are NOT in the adoption room. They are in the basement where the strays are. They can't get adopted if they are not in the adoption room.

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Will the no kills you mention take them?Do the no kills release to rescue as well?

poodletalk
July 30th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Even though they are no kill shelters, they cannot rescue every dog or cat in Quebec. I don't know if they release their dogs to rescues. You need to contact them and talk about it.

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I know the Montreal SPCA is contacting Ontario groups to help,if you are in Montreal maybe you could ask the other shelters you mentionned and see if they could take the dogs in,closer to home would be easier.And you could ask if they release to rescues?Lil Ricky posted about another dog in danger in the Montreal SPCA as well,maybe between the 2 shelters you mentioned they could help the dogs?

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Can you please ask?

poodletalk
July 30th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Lil Ricky did ask for her situation....she was waiting for the answer and the lady gave away her dog to a guard training facility! Lil Ricky made her take back her dog, and the dog is in the ladies basement until a foster home is available.

For those other dogs, the media should be involved since he recieved so much publicity for the raiding the mill and taking the dogs!

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Sorry I was not clear I meant can you ask the two no kill shelters you are talking about if they can help take the Montreal dogs in need.And ask if they release to rescue.

poodletalk
July 30th, 2005, 07:13 PM
You want the no kill shelters release the dogs to what rescue?

mona_b
July 30th, 2005, 07:15 PM
This is why I love my SPCA..No animal goes out the door without being s/n. :thumbs up

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 07:20 PM
I wondered if

1. you could ask the two no kills if they release to rescue.

And

2. if they can take the 3 GSDs and the Pit in need in Montreal.

Mona some sick/seniors do not get altered.

Luba
July 30th, 2005, 07:22 PM
If they release to rescues then these dogs can be saved, unless ofcourse no rescue is willing to take them in that area.

Are there no large breed/ GSD rescues in Quebec?

poodletalk
July 30th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I will look into it....

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I read here that most rescues in Montreal with not take Dobes, pits, sheps or pits.

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 07:31 PM
That would help the dogs thank you!
I will look into it....

mona_b
July 30th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Mona some sick/seniors do not get altered.

They are the exceptions.Which I totally understand. :)

But other than that,they are all done. :)

LL1
July 30th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Hamilton does a really good job,much better than most.

Prin
July 31st, 2005, 10:27 PM
I think you heard that from me, Golden Girls-- we got Boo from the Montreal SPCA, and they never did a follow up. At the time it was $150 to adopt from them, and the neuter was included, but ONLY AFTER you bring the dog to your vet for a booster. Because Boo was so big, the vet couldn't tell how old he was (he was 75lbs with puppyfur), and he thought it would be unsafe to vaccinate him because he may just have been vaccinated (if he was 6 months or a year old). He faxed a letter over saying he doesn't feel it is necessary to vaccinate, please do the surgery. The SPCA wouldn't. My vet called and yelled at them, and they wouldn't. So my vet did it for $220 (including getting the rear dew claws removed), and later told me that he was glad it didn't work out at the SPCA because he gets hundreds of dogs and cats every year that have complications resulting from surgeries at the SPCA.

And I don't think he was lying- I spoke with a vet who worked a few hours a week at the SPCA, and she said that one Dr there can do a cat hysterectomy in less than 6 minutes. I don't want my pets involved in that race.

And now the SPCA Montreal has launched another money campaign where they sell those bracelets that Lance Armstrong started. I just hate how people think they are giving to the SPCA in general when they are really giving to the SPCA who probably kills the most animals of any other.

I have also heard that they kill all the dogs who come in with kennel cough. That is the dumbest- they all leave with kennel cough anyway- why kill them for a disease they will get anyway? Really unethical. :mad:

Lucky Rescue
July 31st, 2005, 11:11 PM
I just hate how people think they are giving to the SPCA in general when they are really giving to the SPCA who probably kills the most animals of any other.I have also heard that they kill all the dogs who come in with kennel cough

Don't know about the dogs, but with cats, even those who go in healthy end up with rhino and are killed too.

badger
July 31st, 2005, 11:20 PM
The director was on the CBC recently and claimed a kill rate of less than 10%!!

Prin
July 31st, 2005, 11:41 PM
Yeah, right. If they go in there, but are not registered in any way, do they count? Or are the ones who are put up for adoption and are not adopted within 3 days the only ones that count?

Lil'RickyMom
August 1st, 2005, 01:40 AM
Hi all,

Been busy trying to rescue Rocky so... Haven't been here. Now that I read all the posts, let me say what i know. First of all, the Montérégie SPCA was my last hope, they are FULL..... They really tried, I have to hand it over to them, everyone doubled their efforts to try and help me.

As for SPCA Montréal, they do hand over to rescues, at least to some. They contact me regularly, but I have no room for most of them.

3 of the "shepherds" are in a back room where the strays are kept, go through the door, down a bit and up to the right. They are the last 3 in that aisle. At least they were there Friday afternoon.

Euthanasia at SPCA Montreal. Hear the story about my lab x who was euthanized instantly because he "attacked" the vet while being vaccinated? He had passed adoption criteria, was a "wonderful" boy, and the day of vaccines, oops... He gets euthanized. First it's a "mistake", once hell is raised, it's because the dog "attacked" the vet... Yeah, Right. I still have a dog there right now, I have no home for, and I am so afraid she will be euthanized by mistake. It makes me sick to have to rely on them to hold these dogs for me, but I have no choice due to a lack of foster homes.

I have rescued dozens of dogs from euthanasia at SPCA Montreal, the main reasons are: kennel cough (which they catch there as they have a huge problem with that), barking too much and driving the staff and volunteers nuts, has been there too long, is too coward, is not sociable enough, won't let them put him/her on the scale (!), has a boo boo on his butt/leg/back/anywhere, has an ear infection, has bad teeth, is over 5 years old... I can't even remember all the reasons, but those are all reasons for dogs that I have personally saved. Get the picture of how they save dogs? And of course, not to forget: is aggressive, sick, needs surgery, needs special diet, suffers from serious separation anxiety, and of course, last but not least, if a dog is returned. You get one chance, not two. And now they are microchipped, so you cannot change the name, age and try to pass him as a different dog. That's how I got my Taco. He was a "return".

And yet I keep a positive attitude. The City's on my back to pay money for dog tags, and the SPCA spends all their money euthanasing dogs (and cats, without mentioning all other pets people bring in - rats, bunnies, turtles, you name it.) Sometimes I wonder how I do it.

That's it for me, it's late.... Gotta work tomorrow. Didn't even see the week-end go, been on the phone, computer and out running around, all for these loveable helpless souls...

See you guys when I have time to come back, (like maybe tomorrow at work !)

Yeah, that link for the other no-kill SPCA, is it in Ste-Agathe (don't even have time to go check myself...)? I heard today there was a no-kill in Ste-Agathe, but the name Sasha's Den came associated with it, so not sure if it's an SPCA, or Sasha's Den the person meant.

mona_b
August 1st, 2005, 12:57 PM
I can honestly say that my SPCA does not put down animals who are not adopted after 3 days.

I myself have seen cats and dogs that have been in there for weeks.There has been a few dogs in there for a month.How do I know?I go in there 3 out of 4 weeks.I go in and drop off papers,and lately blankets and toys.Yes at times a dog or cat is brought back.And many times I have seen the dogs who have been brought in because of a cruelty case.Those are not adopted out right away.

Ex:

Brucie a pit mix has been there since June 15th

Chelsea a beautiful GSP has been there since July 2nd

Cleo a Shep mix since June 11th

These are not the only ones.There are also the cats.

Prin
August 1st, 2005, 01:38 PM
What I would like to know is if the SPCA in Montreal really does get more animals than any other. They say it's because the French don't value pets the way the English do. I don't really believe that, and I think it's just an excuse for them to kill a ton of beasties.

But where do you go? If you have an animal you have to "get rid of" immediately, where do you go? I might have to steal a neglected, abused, young husky soon (he spends the ENTIRE day in a bathroom), and I won't be able to keep him because he's not neutered and Boo doesn't get along with not neutered dogs at all, so where do I bring him? You know? It is easier to bring a dog to the SPCA and wash your hands of it. There's just not many alternatives here. There's no humane society, and the Berger Blanc is just as bad as the SPCA but on a smaller scale. I guess I'll have to bring him to Monteregie....

Rescues are great, but I don't know how to get a dog to them. They make you feel so HORRIBLE for doing it, and rub it in over and over such that you just want to turn away and go to the SPCA again. (At least that is how the rescues I talked to seem and I have never rehomed anything...)

CyberKitten
August 1st, 2005, 02:15 PM
I cannot imagine a rescue making you feel badly for helping a dog. I think even the SPCA and other rescues tho do get frustrating with the inane reasons people will give up their pets. It's pretty awful! But in thisd case, it is not your pet but a dog you are helping. However, if he is tatooes or microchipped, you might get into trouble of you do uhm "take" him and try to bring him in. He is still considered property of the person who has him. So, be careful how you do this!!

The SPCA here I awlays thought did a good job with few resources but I discovered recently they euthenized a cat someone had left with friends (who allowed the kitty to roam and it was picked up). I think in that case, theychose the wrong caregivers but was surprised to hear of the kitty being pts. I know they had a serious outbreak of kitty colds tho and lost a few in the process so there may be more to the story. (I had brought some leftover stuff YY did not use any more nor the Spynxes - and some catfood my mom had bought that the kitties (being spoiled and fussy) just glared at - YY even meowed and looked at me as if I was nuts - and they told me about their problems then.

I think all SPCA's are different but most do make money through contracts with municipalities and will put cats to sleep or even sell them to labs. (sighhh!) So I prefer no kill rescues!

Prin
August 1st, 2005, 02:19 PM
Well, I called one of the employees that works at the home where he stays (home for the disabled), and he said the dog is treated a bit better as of late, so I'll put off my mission for now. I doubt he is microchipped or anything though. The owner wouldn't have the money to buy from a reputable breeder nor to put a chip in. :rolleyes:

Back to the topic at hand... I only brought it up because even I would have thought seriously about bringing the dog to the SPCA despite knowing what they do to dogs simply because here the options are so slim.

LL1
August 2nd, 2005, 05:43 PM
The difference may be Mona that your SPCA does not take strays,they can pick and chose the dogs from AC after assessing them.But they do call rescues when they are going to euthanize dogs that are salvageable which is great.

Derek & Jeter
August 3rd, 2005, 01:42 AM
I now realise I was naive about the animal welfare system in regards to pound seizure, after reading this thread.

I thought that the SPCA's and HS's were the best protection for dogs from research lab seizure. Now I see they SPCA's get pets the lab didn't want anyway?

It seems that unless specifically specified most animal control centres, shelters or pounds donate or sell to government funded hospitals, colleges, universities, private research labs . The SPCA has the power to pick and choose from the pound dogs after pound seizures, not before. No wonder they don't as a rule donate to labs, the labs already picked the ones they wanted.

I have read, that when you phone an animal shelter they all say "no, we never give or sell animals for research purposes" but some of them in actuality do.

So the only way, that I know, to protect strays in your town from labs is to read and know every municipal, provincial and federal law, bylaw, ammendment and shelter worker.

LL1
August 3rd, 2005, 08:08 AM
The dept of education does not run the show,and are not responsible for the legislation.And not all pounds sell for research,you can find the list of who does.Many rescues take in animals destined for research.

Derek & Jeter
August 3rd, 2005, 09:28 AM
The dept of education does not run the show,and are not responsible for the legislation.And not all pounds sell for research,you can find the list of who does.Many rescues take in animals destined for research.

I edited the "run the show" phrase and didn't mean to imply that they make the legislation. Almost every university in Canada gets government grants or funding and private labs belong to coalitions and lobby groups, that are not ignored by government. And almost 100% of those in the previous sentence do research on animals. Please tell me if you know: where do universities get their larger animals or where can I find out? and where is the list that includes every pound in Canada, that sells for research?

Many rescues take in animals destined for researchI know, I helped one of them adopt one (donation).

LL1
August 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
I'll get the list for you,it's on my other computer.Some researchers get from shelters and some have their own breeding program.The pound mentioned,Hamilton,does not sell for research,nor do the Ontario SPCAs or Humane Societies or TAS.

Thats great you helped Animal Alliance,they do great work,and are on of many rescues that take dogs destined for pound seizure.Its an awful practice that is legal in Ontario,same as gassing and shooting shelter animals.

mona_b
August 3rd, 2005, 10:57 AM
The difference may be Mona that your SPCA does not take strays,they can pick and chose the dogs from AC after assessing them.But they do call rescues when they are going to euthanize dogs that are salvageable which is great.

Actually LL1,they do take strays.When we were there last week,there were 4 stray cats,and 3 stray dogs.One a hound mix,and 2 Shep mix.The rest were all owner surrenders.Either to hyper(Chelsea the Pointer,beautiful girl)no time,allergies.You know the rest.... :sad: ..And there are 2 cruelty cases.One a beautiful female Pit.The other a lab x pup.

And what really ticked me off is there was a gorgeous Persian,12 years old.She was brought in cause of allergies.After 12 years?Come on.

LL1
August 3rd, 2005, 11:03 AM
Thats odd,the staff have told me how their euthanasia rates have gone down as they are no longer allowed to take strays,the AC attached to them does,and the chose which animals to take.Maybe they were moving them to AC.Allergies after 12 years,nice one. :mad:

mona_b
August 3rd, 2005, 11:11 AM
Hmmmm,not sure.

But they were posted as coming in as strays.

Now I'm confused(doesn't take much to confuse me.... :D )

Ill definately talk to them again.

BoxerRescueMTL
August 3rd, 2005, 11:40 AM
I have read, that when you phone an animal shelter they all say "no, we never give or sell animals for research purposes" but some of them in actuality do.

Our SPCA says they don't sell to labs but they do. I believe they sell them to a company and the company sells them to the hospital, so that they can say that technically they don't sell to labs.

LL1
August 3rd, 2005, 11:54 AM
Or they could have come in as strays to AC and then the SPCA chose to take them from AC.

Hmmmm,not sure.

But they were posted as coming in as strays.

Now I'm confused(doesn't take much to confuse me.... :D )

Ill definately talk to them again.

CyberKitten
August 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
Our university gets animals from the SPCA or donations or they buy them from other certified sources (sighhhh!). I asked!! I do not use animals in my research - I have found many technological ways to teach and do research (one can even dissection can be done electronically now so there is no need for the typical frog dissection we all had to go through in high school). We do have clinical trials however but it is up to people whether they want to participate. There are enormous ethical hoops tp jump thu tho to have research proposals approved.

pfjpfj
February 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM
For those of you that were interested in the S.P.C.A. in the Laurentians. http://spcall.ca/AngIndex.html