Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet Insurance

Wudjah
July 29th, 2005, 11:54 PM
I need to purchase pet insurance for my pug puppy, as per my contract with the breeder. Does anyone here (in Canada preferably) have any experience with insurance companies? I can get a 10% discount and no enrollment fee at Petplan through my work - which works out to roughly $27/month for a standard plan, but I would like to shop around a little first.

SnowDancer
July 30th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Your vet should have pamphlets on various insurance plans - some costing as little as $27 a month and others closer to $100. The important thing is to read the fine print - especially noting the conditions that are specifically excluded - as well as the "regular deductibles", the "breed deductibles", "maximum payouts per condition (much like braces under dental plans) etc. What you don't want to do is end up paying say $5,000 in premiums over 5 or 6 years, your pet get sick and by the time the insurance company is through, receive only $400 on an $1,200 surgery. When we got our first Dachshund the breed was excluded due to back problems, but insurance at that time cost about $70 a month and did not include annual exams, heartworm etc. Dachshunds were later covered but to a lifetime maximum of $2,000 for disc related problems - less deductibles. Each of my Dachshunds surgeries cost $6,000. Now we have the Eskimo. We did look at the new plan that cost $27 a month that provides coverage up to $12,000 maximum for pet's lifetime - but specifically excluded hip dysplasia and teeth. It seems hip dysplasia is becoming common to every breed and is something I have to watch out for with our Eskimo. His teeth are excellent though. Regular physicals, heartworm etc. would not be covered. We have started a bank account for him, as have many, many other "patients" at my vet's. But definitely your vet should have all of the various pamphlets.

Catt31
July 31st, 2005, 01:24 PM
We have insurance through PetCare for Brick. It's been really good so far, the 2 claims we made have been paid quickly. Like SnowDancer said, there are limitations to breed but not to age. Pugs are not on the list of susceptible breeds!! We pay $14.95 a month for their "most economical" plan, and it goes up from there, depending on the amount of coverage you want. It has been well worth it! For his last surgery to have a lump removed from his leg, it only cost us the $50 deductible, on a $400 surgery! With your PetCare account, you also get a discount if you register your dog's microchip through 24PetWatch. Your vet will have several pamphlets - pick them all up, go through them, and find out which one is best for you. That's what we did & I ended up talking to 3 different companies and found PetCare the friendliest & most helpful. Good luck!!!

Beaglemom
July 31st, 2005, 03:20 PM
My Misty is enrolled with PetCare Mastercare program. We have used it a couple of times and always received our money back within 1 week of submitting the paperwork. We never had a hassle, (knock on wood!)

There are two main pet insurance companies in Canada, PetCare and PetPlan. There are others, but these are the biggest right now. (I think the other one is called VetInsurance). PetCare doesn't offer coverage for annual exams, vaccinations, dental work, flea prevention or heartworm prevention programs. PetPlan does have a plan that does cover all these, but that plan is $75/mth plus there is a deductible. When you base it on a per year premium plus your deductible you are pretty much better off paying for the yearly budgetable stuff on your own. It really is not worth paying a higher premium plus a deductible for something that you can budget for every year IMO.

There really is two categories of plans offered by insurance companies, the emergency/accident only coverage and the emergency/accident and illness coverage. You would have to decide which would be more suitable for you as the price ranges from about $14/mth for the accident coverage to thirty odd dollars and up for the illness & accident coverage.

Pet insurance is great to have for illnesses and accidents that you really have no way of budgeting for. I can tell you from experience that vet care is very expensive. Misty broke her toe a couple of years ago and it cost $1,200 in vet bills. Thank goodness for pet insurance. She is also going to undergo some tests that will run a couple of hundred dollars, she had some lumps removed that cost a few hundred dollars, all covered by her insurance.

Both of these companies have websites that explain in detail all there is to know about their plans. They are also more than willing to answer any questions that you may have. Some breeds, like greyhounds, basset hounds, boxers, etc., do have a higher premium due to their being predisposed to certain medical conditions.

Daizy
August 2nd, 2005, 01:00 PM
I have used petplan ever since I got my poodle and so far they have always been very good. I have only needed to use them once for a minor issue and even then they paid out within a week. I pay only $22 a month. Would totally recommend them.

Hope you find one that suit's you.