Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toilet Seat Styles-what are you?

raingirl
July 29th, 2005, 07:30 PM
I was having this discussion with some co-workers. We basically decided there are 5 types of batheroom types people (when using public toilets).

There are "hoverers" who squat but don't touch the seats.

There are "coverers" who line the seat with paper.

There are "wipers" who wipe the seat down dry.

There are "cleaners" who actually use something to clean the seat (some washrooms have "antibacterial" cleaner in a pump that you put on tissue and wipe the seat with).

And last, there are "sitters" who don't care and just do their business.

What are you? I'm mostly a wiper, but if I have my purse with me, I will be a cleaner by putting some antibacterial hand cleaner on a tissue. If the seat is really questionable, then I will cover it. I never hover though unless I absolutely have to.

LL1
July 29th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Id say hover or use covers or paper.

Puppyluv
July 29th, 2005, 08:23 PM
I'm mostly a wiper, unless i haven't seen a toilet in 8 or so hours, and thus have no time to think about such things as 'the state of the toilet seat' and just want to get my but on that seat. if the toilet is truly disgusting looking, or if its the middle of winter in an outhouse in the middle of the rockies, i'm a hoverer (i'd rather have the sore legs than the COLD buns) :D

Beaglemom
July 29th, 2005, 08:33 PM
I hate public bathrooms! I will hover unless there is something that I can clean the seat down with.

twinmommy
July 29th, 2005, 08:41 PM
ummm, you forgot "holder" :D

I'll hold it till I get home,thanks!! I HATE public restrooms!! :yuck:

Puppyluv
July 29th, 2005, 08:41 PM
i know its silly.. but can anyone explain how these percentages add up?

Beaglemom
July 29th, 2005, 08:54 PM
i know its silly.. but can anyone explain how these percentages add up?
I think it may be because you can pick more than one choice. So it would be based on how many of the voters chose a, b or c, kind of thing.

ummm, you forgot "holder"

I'll hold it till I get home,thanks!! I HATE public restrooms!!
I know what you mean! I can't stand public bathrooms and I will hold it if I can. Problem with this is that it can lead to UTI!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 29th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Are we really having this discussion? :)

Puppyluv
July 29th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Are we really having this discussion? :)
ha ha ha quite the friday night... ok no more toilet talk for me!

StaceyB
July 29th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I look at the toilet and if it looks the least bit dirty I won't use it. I will open every door until I find one I can use. I place paper or a cover on the seat and I won't touch the flusher with my hands, I use my foot. After I wash my hands I cover my hand with coat or shirt sleeve to open the door to get out of the washroom.

Puppyluv
July 29th, 2005, 10:10 PM
ok i lied.. i'm not done. Oddly enough, while I'm only a wiper, I ALWAYS flush with my foot... strange priorities I have....

Princesss04
July 29th, 2005, 10:53 PM
I would have to say I am a hoverer and a coverer! Never a sitter in public!

Prin
July 29th, 2005, 11:21 PM
I hover but I cover too, just in case I lose my balance and accidentally fall on the seat. I flush before with my foot and flush after with my foot. I forget where I heard it but somewhere, they are switching to auto-flush because the handles keep breaking off due to women flushing with there feet. I think they should just have a button on the floor that you press... (maybe I should patent that idea before I post it... Oh well, there goes another million.)

AliSam
July 30th, 2005, 02:51 PM
At work I am a wiper, in public I usually try to wait until I go home. If I can't wait, I look for a "clean" one and am usually a hoverer unless it looks recently cleaned.

Puppyluv
July 30th, 2005, 03:07 PM
I think they should just have a button on the floor that you press... (maybe I should patent that idea before I post it... Oh well, there goes another million.)
In some "handicapped" stalls they have floor flushers, its like a little pyramid on the floor that you just kick. Sorry... another million lost.

melanie
July 30th, 2005, 05:16 PM
ah sorry but not very culturally appropriate poll, i mean its wrong to use northern hemisphere toilet posiitoning that i have never heard of..

and you ahve nto included -THE KANGAROO which a good many aussie woman do when in public loos.... :cool:

raingirl
July 30th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Haha. What's the kagaroo?? (and don't forget, our toilets swirl in the other direction)

Puppyluv
July 30th, 2005, 05:50 PM
and you ahve nto included -THE KANGAROO which a good many aussie woman do when in public loos.... :cool:
Is that a sort of hover and jump/shake to dry? :D
sorry... that wasn't very appropriate of me was it :o

melanie
July 30th, 2005, 06:55 PM
well yes, it is a position where one resembles the stature of a kangaroo, that is squatting like your gunna hop off real fast. no contact at all... i would never pee in any other fashion i assure you...

we also have a pehnomenon that im sure you have, but ours is called female toilet seperation anxiety, likee the doggy problem. the thing is, the minute you remove all access to toilets, such as in the bush or on the beach, guaranteed the majority of the woman with you need to pee.... i for one dont have such problems, as this country still has many a tree to squat behind.

speaking of which my neice has decided its great to pee whereever she like, for instnace in the middle of a soccer field next to a game, groan, she is still having trouble understanding its only for emergencies or times there is no loo around :D

Puppyluv
July 30th, 2005, 06:58 PM
I suffer from toilet separation anxiety! Particularily when I'm running and I have to go, it is inevitable that every toilet i pass is locked :mad:

doggy lover
July 30th, 2005, 07:11 PM
I hover, I never sit on a seat outside my home. I just think of all the nasties lurking on the seat, and god knows how they were cleaned :eek:

Puppyluv
July 30th, 2005, 07:14 PM
I think after reading the posts of all you hoverers, I may be converted :rolleyes:

Jackie467
July 30th, 2005, 07:53 PM
I simply just do not use a public toilet. I once held it for 45 hours because I was out of the hotel. actully I got a kidney infection and my doctor thinks this may have had something to do with it, I won't do that agian. I'v only used a public toilet twice, and I was a hoverer.

StaceyB
July 30th, 2005, 08:03 PM
You can purchase the seat covers at canadian tire in the camping isle. Small enough pkg's that you can carry them in your purse. Some washrooms supply them but many don't and we all know that toilet paper sticks to your butt.

mrjohndoe
July 31st, 2005, 09:38 AM
Oops! Didn't realize that was sitter. Thought it was something else! :evil:

Need more coffee. Coffee good

Puppyluv
July 31st, 2005, 10:13 AM
Oops! Didn't realize that was sitter. Thought it was something else! :evil:

Need more coffee. Coffee good
LMAO your're bad!!!!

melanie
July 31st, 2005, 04:41 PM
oh yes i forgot your toilets spin the wrobng way when flushed, how bizarre you should really have that looked at....

now there are some real dangers to sitting on the seat, some of you may have been told this story by me but for the others here it is - when i was a girl mums girlfriend was living in the bush using a outside pit toilet... she was 8mths pregnant at the time. in summer some snakes here are known to hang onto the toilet bowl to keep cool, they wrap around it (outside bush dunnies only). well mums friend went and sat down on thew toilet and there was a red belly black snake wrapped around the bowl which bit her on the bum and leg... she was dead within 24hrs .... this is not the first time someone has died this way over here...

not to mention the red back spider is nutorious for hanging out in the outside loos on and under the seat, i never even kangaroo without first using a stick to lift the lid....

so if i dont sit, its not only that most ppl cant clean a toilet properly to save themselves but it is also for safety reasons, yuck and owww....

raingirl
July 31st, 2005, 04:52 PM
THank goodness in Canada we don't have to worry about stuff like that. I don't think there are any poisonous snakes or bugs at all where I live. When I lived in the Carribean for a short time, there were these yellow and red spiders that are super poisonous, and we had some in the house we lived in!

mrjohndoe
July 31st, 2005, 10:19 PM
oh yes i forgot your toilets spin the wrobng way when flushed, how bizarre you should really have that looked at....

LOL. Luckily my toilet doesn't spin...well not since I quit getting drunk! :evil:

...i never even kangaroo without first using a stick to lift the lid....

I love your saying "down under". :thumbs up

Though I imagine some of ours are a hoot to you.

melanie
August 1st, 2005, 12:26 AM
lol, your all nuts to me :D :D

oh raingirl we have lots of nasties, doesnt canada have snakes and spiders??? i thought you did, but we seem to have a large numbero f nasty ones. a few years ago i lived on an old farm, well i had this huge brown snake hanging round, so i asked the neighboring farmers how to stop them going in the house, they siad i had to plug all holes that i could fit a finger through, snakes can get in the tiniest holes and i cannot stand being with snakes, yuckkkkk... but he never came in thank god....

andd at my current house we have heaps of red back spiders, occassionally you find them inside. the female can kill you, as can about a billion other spiders here it seems, i definatly check my bed every night :o

ah yes sorry bout that, your toilet water spins in the wrong direction when flushed, hows that soundin?? :p

if it dont go clockwise i dont think i would use it personally :D

and hey where not 'down under' anywhere, just at the other end :p from what i can feel right now i think were on par really... :p

raingirl
August 1st, 2005, 09:12 AM
Oh we have spiders and snakes, but none are poisonous! Well...there may be poisonous snakes but I don't know of any.

kandy
August 1st, 2005, 02:45 PM
Since I have never heard of a true, documented case of someone getting sick from sitting, and since no orifice actually touches the toilet seat, I don't worry about it. And I'm not talking about getting bitten by something that was hiding under the seat! :eek: If the seat is wet :yuck: then I would wipe it down or find a dry one. I wouldn't use it at all if it was wet with more than I would want to wipe down. :o I do flush with my foot though.

jessi76
August 1st, 2005, 03:05 PM
I kick the door open with my foot, then kick it closed, and i can actually turn the lock with my foot (after a bit of practice) then check the toilet for people hiding in it (YES, i said PEOPLE), if all clear, i HOVER, use foot to flush, and again to open door. So i don't have to actually touch anything.

For those of you who haven't heard of PEOPLE HIDING IN TOILETS, read....
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/wireStory?id=921753

Scared the heck outa me.

Prin
August 1st, 2005, 04:03 PM
They mean pit toilets-- not public bathrooms... :D You can't hide in a normal toilet. :D

melanie
August 1st, 2005, 04:45 PM
and you know what, i truly dont doubt that there is some weird person out there who hides in pit toilets, i dont doubt that at all, humans are just all freaks really.....

i have heard a story of a disable boy who fell into a pit dunny, his carers told me about it so i suspect its true, ewwww.....

but in general pit toilets are pretty darn scary, if its an unpopular area i just squat near the pit toilet, i would rather than go in, but for some reason every time i drop my dacks in the bush, doesnt matter where, a car always comes along mid pee, oh well they dont see much :D

i dotn touch the door or taps either, i push the door with foot, close with foot, grab a tissue to turn the lock on door, use tissue to flush, then use tissue to open door and then finally tissue to turn the taps on at the basin.... and i never ever touch the door leading into the bathrooms, sooo many ppl dont wash their hands, ewwwwwwww.....

Karin
August 1st, 2005, 06:31 PM
I stayed with my aunt & uncle for a while in Wisconsin as a kid. My uncle was a buyer for Oscar Meyer..(please do not shoot the messenger). Any hoot, on weekends I went with my uncle to the livestock sale barns for auctions because I was allowed to play with all the critters until we had to leave. One day in Beloit, Il., a huge tornado hit the auction, most all of the people were already on the basement floor for pre-auction lunch & inspection...except one lady sitting in the outside port-a-john. She lived, but it was not pretty! Nor did she look or smell great either. This image is forever ingrained in my memory. We lost our car that day too, as did many others. I have a big fear of outside toilets now.

jessi76
August 2nd, 2005, 08:46 AM
They mean pit toilets-- not public bathrooms... :D You can't hide in a normal toilet. :D

not even itty-bitty people? ;) j/k, i was sorta joking about checking a real toilet for people, since it does seem to happen in some of those very rustic public bathrooms... there are a few public pit potties in the mtns, campgrounds, state parks, rest stops.

Luvmypit
August 2nd, 2005, 03:56 PM
I HATE HOVERERS!! you are the same people that complain about whats on the seat yet your the one putting it there! I only wipe or paper when i see some hoverers pee all over the seat. I have even put a note in my office washroom. Every seat. PEE. Arghhhh. So now I have to sit in someones pee because they didn't want to sit where someone elses thighs were touching? Its not like your naughty bits are touching the seat nor are anyone elses. Its when you hover and pee on the seat is when I have to worry. Thats where the bad bacteria comes from. Its a viscous cycle

I'll get you all I tell ya....hee hee

Jackie467
August 2nd, 2005, 04:25 PM
Actully a study was done (I'll have to look for it) and it showed that the handles in the bathroom (door handles, faucet handles, dryer handles, that sort of thing) have waaaaaay more desease causing bacteria on them than the seats, even when they were peed on.

kandy
August 2nd, 2005, 04:51 PM
Actully a study was done (I'll have to look for it) and it showed that the handles in the bathroom (door handles, faucet handles, dryer handles, that sort of thing) have waaaaaay more desease causing bacteria on them than the seats, even when they were peed on.

That I believe - and I always wash my hands after I sit on the toilet seat. :D
I also get my paper towel before I wash my hands so I don't have to work the stupid handle on the towel dispenser after I've washed up. I love the new motion activated towel dispensers!

pags
August 2nd, 2005, 05:27 PM
Er what an interesting thread. I actually try to avoid public restrooms as much as possible... I'd rather give myself a bladder infection than give in. :p

If I absolutely MUST then first -- I grab a towel of some type before anything else... and use it to open doors, flush handles, etc. I touch nothing in there with my bare hands. Nothing. Nothing. I'm much more paranoid about touching the stuff with my hands than I am about actually sitting on the seat.. Which I will do after I wipe it to be sure it's dry... and if of course it's not so horribly filthy that I want to wretch. :p The worst WORST worst are the ones in parks and such... Bugs and animals and ew!! EW!! I'll take a roll of tissue and some good bushes any day. :p

melanie
August 2nd, 2005, 05:41 PM
hey its grose to touch door handles in public loos, i think we could all agree there, so many ppl dont wash up after going, yuck....

well heres my warning, please oh please dont touch those handles on the public transport without protection like a tissue :eek: whenever im on public transport i think of toilet door handles and then think of all those yucky ppl who dont wash hands after going and my fingers find their way to a tissue, gosh dont touch them....

i care too mcuh for you al and you dont knwo what crusty person touched it and then you might touch your face and get sick and i would not want that now... so lots of tissues ppl, lots of tissues and dont touch anything, for the love of god dont touch anything :D :angel:

doggy lover
August 2nd, 2005, 07:18 PM
You can get herpes and crabs from tolit seats, would you want to take the chance. :eek: