Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toronto HS,giving cats/kittens free...

chico2
July 29th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Just heard on the news,THS are giving their cats/kittens away for free this long weekend.As stated before they are over-whelmed by 500 felines in a shelter meant for 300.
I am hoping some sort of contract will still be written out and that they are spayed/neutered.
I also hope that it will not bring weirdos out,cruel torturers like the ones who tortured Kensington to death.

Lucky Rescue
July 29th, 2005, 07:04 PM
That is pathetic. I'm sure all the "bunchers" are out, standing in line for free animals to sell to laboratories.

I too hope there is a contract, and they are getting people's IDs before handing these poor animals over.

To me, someone who only wants a cat if it's free are NOT the people who should be getting them, for many reasons.

chico2
July 29th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I agree,it is a really sad sight.How much do you want to bet,half of them will be back in no time :sad:
I understand they are in a desperate situation,they only charged $25 before,but it's now been eliminated totally.
Oakville HS,charges up to $150 for a cat...including everything.
It's been a terrible month for cats,it's just sickening...

Luba
July 29th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Oh yay great for them! (The CAT hoarders I mean)

I can just see the city crawling with more and more little kittens, more strays more unwanteds and more more more!

How utterly shameful. I think it would have been better if they did a big campaign on trying to get 'foster' homes for some of these cats and dogs rather then just let them go unaltered and to whomever.

Poor kitties, I worry...how many will end up as lab experiments. :eek:

LL1
July 29th, 2005, 07:35 PM
They are in a desperate situation.I dont know how many would think it better if they euthanized them.

chico2
July 29th, 2005, 07:51 PM
LL1,I realize that,but also believe every cat is worth a token fee of at least $25 and yes,in some cases where these cats might end up,with hoarders,cat-mills and even worse,labs,or someones dinner-table they might just be better off over the Rainbow Bridge.

chico2
July 29th, 2005, 07:55 PM
LL1,sorry if I sound paranoid,I am just worried all the cruel weirdos will come out of the wood-works for this big free-for-all :sad:

LL1
July 29th, 2005, 07:56 PM
I guess because they are desperate and strive to not kill any animal they are doing what they think is best.If they killed several healthy animals they also would be slaughtered in the press.They cant win either way.I am glad I am not the one making those decisions

Lucky Rescue
July 29th, 2005, 08:12 PM
I would rather see them euthanized then end up on the streets, in the condition they often are in by the time we get them. And we only get a tiny handful - hundreds of thousands die terrible deaths, pregnant, starving and diseased.:(

I agree it's a terrible situation and the blame lies directly with people who get cats and refuse to be the tiniest bit responsible, and not with the HS. Cats are disposible, so those people who have dumped one (or many) can just go and get another one for free, to dump or breed as they choose.

At least if they were s/n, it would give them a small chance.

I am glad I am not the one making those decisions

Me too. I really don't know what the answer is. It's impossible to make people care about their pets.

Beaglemom
July 29th, 2005, 09:20 PM
I was actually at the THS today. Their adoption procedures are still the same. All potential adopters must fill out the adoption applications and the screening process remains the same. All cats and kittens are also UTD on vaccines and have all been spayed or neutered. They also have the microchips implanted. The only thing that THS is doing is waiving their $25 adoption fee. They have way too many cats and are trying to encourage people to adopt rather than go out and buy a cat.

Rest assured that these furbabies are not just being given out to just anyone who walks in the door requesting a cat. They are being interviewed and screened.

happycats
July 29th, 2005, 10:45 PM
I wish someone (SPCA,THS or any HS) would offer free spay and neuter clinics!!! I think this would definately help control the pet population.

I think housing, feeding, and adoption, is only a band-aid solution.
If these places offered free spay and nueter programs people would have no reason not to fix their pet!!!

just my 2 cents.

Luba
July 30th, 2005, 12:15 AM
LL1 I understand desperation and I too wouldn't want to make the decisions.

However I've also known that they've been extreme in some cases in not adopting cats/dogs out to homes that I have known and know to be good loving homes. The explanations given at times has been ridiculous.

How unfortunate and lets hope the cats that do go, the majority get good homes!

chico2
July 30th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Beaglemom,thank's for the info,it makes me feel somewhat better,the fact that they s/n will at least keep them from making more unfortunate babies.
I got both Rocky and Vinnie for free,but of course they have since cost hundreds of $$$,something many people do not realize.

Beaglemom
July 31st, 2005, 03:36 PM
Chico, you are very welcomed! I know what you mean about a free pet having cost lots of money in vet bills! My beagle was free, we found her at the age of 6 weeks, she had been abandoned by her "breeder/owner" and was never claimed. Before she was truly mine, I spent a couple of hundred dollars trying to get her healthy again. She was infested with fleas and roundworms! It has been 9 years already that we have her and she has cost us thousands of dollars in vet bills. There really is no such thing as a "free" pet, the vet bills will get you!
However I've also known that they've been extreme in some cases in not adopting cats/dogs out to homes that I have known and know to be good loving homes. The explanations given at times has been ridiculous.
I too have heard of some cases of them turning away some people that would have provided a great home. I'm not sure how they base their decisions.

LL1
July 31st, 2005, 03:39 PM
I have not heard of them turning away good homes,but not being in the interviews who knows what was said and happened?I am glad they are strict with homes,I would be much more upset if they let bad people adopt.

Luba
July 31st, 2005, 03:46 PM
Strict is one thing LL but trust me when I say....it was not an issue of being strict.

Each occassion and I can say of two specifically that I know of, the people who applied were wonderful ...wonderful homes, no issues with the application. They were NOT given specific reasons of refusal and each dog was not adopted by anyone else.

These two situations came just days before THS released to the media that they are over full and were having huge adoption blitz coming up. Remember when they lowered the fee to 50bux a dog?

Thats two situations I know of with dogs I know of one other with a cat, but I can't recall specifics...yet I do know all would have been wonderful homes.

LL1
July 31st, 2005, 03:53 PM
Thats really strange.Dont know why they would do that.But I am not going to say as I was not there.

mafiaprincess
July 31st, 2005, 04:52 PM
The torstar article on this saddens me some..

125 cats were adopted yesterday, and no one was refused... They have been pretty strict in past about adoptions, and say they are being just as now.. But the odds that everyone who went to adopt yesterday was a 'perfect home' isn't really probable..

Possible lots of people are lying lots.. and that some of these kitties will meet not so great fates.

LL1
July 31st, 2005, 05:16 PM
It is sad,but I am saddened when I read about shelters euthanizing tiny kittens,and adult cats,and pups and dogs too.

mafiaprincess
July 31st, 2005, 05:20 PM
Totally. Neither is a solution.. but there isn't a third choice that is way better either. :(

Lucky Rescue
July 31st, 2005, 06:40 PM
Possible lots of people are lying lots.. and that some of these kitties will meet not so great fates.

Yes. People who didn't want a cat yesterday when there was a minimal adoption fee, but who want one today if it's free really scare me.

I have heard people say they wouldn't pay for vet care, because "the cat/dog was free, so I'm not spending 100$ on it". If this one dies, they'll just get another one for free.

There are lots of fates worse than death.:(

LL1
July 31st, 2005, 06:52 PM
I agree Lucky,but they would lose all supporters and they run on donations.Nobody would be happy to hear about healthy cats being killed.They are doing the best they know how and trying to be no kill,which means no euthing for space and the whole movement is a sham imo.

mafiaprincess
July 31st, 2005, 09:31 PM
In tooling around tonight I read the cbc's article on the situation.. and this caught my eye:

Each adoption includes updated vaccinations, one month of pet insurance, a microchip identification implant, flea control treatment and a sample bag of cat food. Many of the animals at the shelter have already been spayed or neutered, the society said.

Does that mean if they were speutered alread ygood, and if not they aren't being done?

savannah
August 2nd, 2005, 11:17 AM
I don't know very much about the policies or adoption at ths, (never adopted from them) but i do know they turned away a family i know, who wanted to adopt a cat, since they said the cat would be an indoor/outdoor cat (as the cat they already have once was - now at her old age is an indoor cat). I personally don't agree with a cat being outdoors unsupervised, but this family has a cat, who has been diabetic for many many years, and is 16, whom they have had since she was a kitten. They are terrific pet owners who have taken excellent care of their cat, but were denied to adopt as they said they would allow the cat to be outdoors.

LL1
August 2nd, 2005, 11:24 AM
Most rescues will also turn people down if they are going to let cats outside.

chico2
August 2nd, 2005, 05:10 PM
LL1,as they should,but there is never any guarantee they will not end up abandonned outside,no matter what the people say upon adoption.
I read THS adopted out 300 cats,they must have had a lot of staff on hand to check out all these people.
I suppose it was a success,hopefully all the kitties will be ok.

LL1
August 2nd, 2005, 05:38 PM
True chico,but rescues and shelters can only do what they can,there are no guarantees regardless of the hoops they make people jump through.