Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog pulls big time when we all walk him

Luvmypit
July 29th, 2005, 03:53 PM
HI ya'll,
So we moved to a new area and now that we have moved capone will pull pull pull the whole time on his leash. We even put him back on the choker.

He has started to calm down assuming that the new area just had him excited.

But when me and my hubby and stepdaughter go for a walk he pulls like mad. He has to be in front. And even when he is he still pulls just not as much if one of us are in front of him.

Is this a dominance issue? Or does he think he is protecting us?

The choker is not helping. I am going to get him a halti this week anyways. What have your experience been using the halti compared to a choker? We stopped using the choker as he was walking fine but now... hes being an arse

tenderfoot
July 29th, 2005, 05:45 PM
He has regressed in his training due to your busy life during the move and perhaps you thought he was done now that he was better.
Going back to gimmicks won't teach him anything. You taught him once without the halter or choke so give yourself some credit and do it again.
Yes, he thinks it is his place to take the family for a walk and every step you take in the same direction he is pulling rewards him for this behavior.
There are several other threads on this very subject you might want to search out. It seems that every other week we get someone asking this same question.

Luba
July 29th, 2005, 07:09 PM
I suggest obedience class and get yourself a martingale collar.

Try this lady, she's wonderful HIGHLY recommend her!

http://www.motherknowsbest.ca/obedience.shtml

StaceyB
July 29th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Any new environment is an exciting place for a dog. You had probably slacked off with his leash training so go back to being strict about walking w/o pulling. A choke was never intended for a pulling dog, just too dangerous. You can do the training with a reg flat collar and a 6 ft leash. If you have been using a flexi leash it may add to the problem instead of help it. If he is choking himself, too strong to hold, or hurting you while you re-train you could use a gentle leader, I find it to be a better tool than the halti. His face may be too wide for it to fit properly. The gentle leader is only there to help give you back control. It is not to be used instead of training. I believe I had wrote in another thread how to size and use it.

Luvmypit
August 2nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
Thank you.

"It seems that every other week we get someone asking this same question."

My main question was whether he is being dominant. He has improved while being walked with just one of us. If anything he's gone back to normal or almost normal. And I realized his original pulling was mainly due to a new area. So I thought he was being dominant or protective. I couldn't figure out which one and why he pulls so much when he is with all of us. ANd its only when its all of us. When I say he pulls with us he puuuullllllls. I took of the choker right away because I thought he would choke himself and really when he was pulling so much you couldn't use the proper corrections.

tenderfoot
August 2nd, 2005, 02:13 PM
I think it's as easier to answer by saying he is trying to be the leader. A leader both dominates and protects.

Pomermaniac
August 2nd, 2005, 07:29 PM
Exactly, tenderfoot. You must go back to the drawing board a bit... Now, because he's "taken control" it may be a tad more difficult to get him back. But its not a huge deal. Just be patient and firm with him and he'll be back to his old self in no time.
If you are really at odds with the pulling, I'd consider a prong collar because it does not let the dog pull ahead, at the same time it does not hurt the dog or choke him.
Important:If you decide to go that route make sure you consult a *good* trainer that knows how to fit and use one. Remember though, its just a tool that is used to help you train the dog to listen to you. It doesn't train the dog, you do. You shouldn't need to use this tool for very long at all. If the dog doesn't improve in time, you are relying on the collar too much.