Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cross-Boarder Cat Travel

Peppermint
July 29th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Hi, I am planning on taking my cat, Peppermint, on a trip from Montreal to the USA at the end of the summer, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I can make this the best possible experience for her. We will be driving for about 6 hours, and spending a few weeks at a friends house.

Also, I am trying to find out if anyone know of where I can have her vaccinated against rabies for less than the regular vet cost (50$).

Thanks!
:pawprint: :pawprint:

Mambito67
July 29th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I would suggest bringing something the cat is familiar with - a blanket from home, a cat bed, etc. This will help to alleviate some of the stress the cat may experience from the trip. Also be sure to bring a litterbox and plenty of clean water.

As far as the rabies vaccination - many pet store chains like Petco and PetSmart periodically have vaccination clinics held at the stores. The clinincs usually offer discounted rates (I once paid $13.00 US for a distemper shot and my vet usually charges around $35.00 US). You may want to visit their websites and see if any will be offered in the area you will be visiting.

Good luck and have a safe trip!

CyberKitten
July 30th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I have travelled most recently with my cat to Florida from the Maritimes (by air and car once there) and I would make certain you have all your paperwork in order prior to getting to the border or else you will have to board her close to the border. Once - when I was a child and we lived not far from the US border, we all headed off for a ytypical visit to Maine, our fox terrier puppy in two. Alas, no one had brought the puppy's documents and we had to leave her at a dog boarding place (a good one but it dampened our ethusiasm for the trip!) so make sure you have all your paperwork or US Customs will not allow her into the country. You need her registration of birth and gealth records.

Car travel is easier than air since it gives you time and space. Bring a litter box and stop occasionally so you can make sure she can stretch her little legs after being in the carrier. Bring lots of ice cold water in a cooler and her fav foods and her fav toys and blanklet. Good luck!!