Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wild animals

Dag Sabot
July 29th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Hello all:

Looking for some advice. On a midnight bike/walk, me and my dog stumbled into a family of racoons, one of which attacked my dog. Thor received multiple (minor) lacerations around his muzzle, neck and chest. The bleeding stopped quickly after cleaned up with water and paper towel (thats all i had around the house at the time).
My question is as follows: Even though Thor is immunized against rabies etc., Are there any other considerations when dealing with wild animal attacks, especially in regard to racoons?
edit:Other than the obvious threat of infection, which i hope i staved off by using hydrogen peroxide this morning, are there any other possible problems stemming from a racoon attack to consider?

edit2: Don't ask how the racoon is doing. :eek:

Copper'sMom
July 29th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I would definitely get dewormer...............just in case!

Doing a quick search on this topic, something came up about Coonhound Paralysis. Similar to rabies but happens on the outside of the spinal cord. The rear end will start to appear paralysed and works its way up the body. Not sure if this will happen or not.

I'd call the vet and see what they have to say - just to be safe.

Did you get blood on yourself?? I'm just wondering if you need to watch for signs and symptoms on yourself for rabies. If the raccoon BIT the dog, and you touched the wound, if there was saliva there and you touched it and then touched yourself(eyes, mouth, nose etc.) you could possibly contract the rabies virus too!(if the coon is a carrier of rabies) :eek:

Copper'sMom
July 29th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Antibiotics for Thor might be a good idea too. I would take precautionary measures rather than have to deal with a problem that could arise later!

StaceyB
July 29th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Go to or call the vet, they will know better what is going on in your area.

Dag Sabot
July 29th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the advice, gang. Thankfully my dog was on a leash so i didnt have to touch the raccoon myself. There was no racoon blood either. Later, in the morning I checked for blood trails, and called animal control in case they run into a shaken possibly stirred raccoon. Although it was quite dark I think Thor may have grabbed a mouthful of the raccoon and while he did the "terrier shake" the 'coon scratched and bit at him all he could until i reeled them both in and Thor finally and thankfully spat him out... This morning he seemd fine but wouldn't touch his food or water.

So i think after work ill see how hes doing and make a quick visit to the vet.

Lucky Rescue
July 29th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Don't use undiluted hydrogen peroxide on open wounds. It destroys tissue.

Sterile water is better for flushing wounds, or some mild soap and water.

Prin
July 29th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Lepto can also be transmitted by raccoons. Have you asked the vet what the risks are?

You can also use Proviodine to wash wounds.