Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adopted dog was mistreated

mom of rotties
July 29th, 2005, 11:57 AM
I dont know if anyone can help but here goes. We adopted a 9 month old rottie 1 1/2 weeks ago. We just recieved all his paperwork (vet bills, Birth cert),now here is the problem.
The previous owners were not very honest about the dog. Seems when he was 3 months old he was severley eletrocuted and had some serious burns to his mouth and jaw. They left this untreated for 1 week before seeking medical help.
Now my question is could this have caused any brain damage, I have yet to be able to reach the vet who treated him for this. He seems to healed fine except for a piece of his tongue (missing) and 1 baby tooth that needs to be removed. Has anyone ever had any dealing with this kind of injury.
He gets along fine with the other animals but seems to be kind of dopey for lack of better explanation. Also has anyone ever heard anything about dogs who come from The Rotti Ranch. I want a little more background on his parents but cant find a listing for them anywhere. Thanks again.

Prin
July 29th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Do you see anything weird in his eyes? Like is one pupil smaller than the other or are they shifty? Does he seem out of it? Is he alert and bright? Otherwise, I wouldn't know how to tell for brain damage in a doggy...

Has he had a full check up since you got him?

Oh- and never ever count on previous owners giving you the whole story. They never do.

mom of rotties
July 29th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I had him in for a twisted foot, but got all the info after that visit. I am trying to set up an appt with his original vet to ask alot of questions. His pupils look fine its just at times he looks all glazed over. Like he is in la la land. I cant believe people would keep something like that from new owners. But when are people honest when they have wronged him in so many ways. He seems fine in other aspects just trying to teach him some manners has been a true test of will. Hope fully I will get a call from the original vet today. I have called 5 times but no call back yet.

Rottielover
July 29th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I just want to let you know that I too have a male rottie puppy, age 9 1/2 months, and he has never been injured. He has that dopey look, as if he is thinking, what's up.... That is a typical male rottie trit. I have seen it many times before. But to what extent your is doing it, I do not know. Remember they only fully mature at around 3 years of age, so you will have that dopey puppy look for awhile. LOL....
You are a great person taking on this dog....Good luck, and give him a butt scritch for me, they love that

mom of rotties
July 29th, 2005, 01:26 PM
He lives the good life now along side our 4 year old rotti x. They love each other. The glazed look is kinda weird thats what got me to thinking that the accident may have done something to his brain. I dont know much but I do know that he is still quite the little hooligan. Acts normal most of the time but they are times he looks like hes not all there.

Dog Dancer
July 29th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Hi Mom, hope your new rotti is okay - the glazed look, well I have to say I've seen that own glazed over expression on my own face many times... :rolleyes: Try not to worry too much about it and just think of it as a cute quirk maybe? At least he's in a happy home now.

kandy
August 1st, 2005, 11:37 AM
My mom had a rotti, and I remember her having lots of trouble teaching Koda manners. It wasn't that she wasn't smart, I think it was more that Koda didn't think she really needed to do whatever my mom was trying to get her to do. She was really stubborn and only used manners when she thought it would benefit her in some way! :p I don't know what to tell you about the vacant look - Koda only did that if she was ignoring you. Bless you for taking in this puppy and giving him a good home. :angel:

melanie
August 1st, 2005, 06:02 PM
as long as all responses are find and normal, that is looks at sounds and such, follws directions, i doubt yo uahve much to worry about, dogs are prety tough, my dog split her head right down the middle once, right to the bone, and she is ok in the head, well that s what the vet says, i think its jsut sheer arogance on her part rather than brain damage :eek: :cool:

as far as the tounge goes, can he feel the whole thing, was there nerve damage? to tell watch him eat a bone, if he eats it normally he should be fine, if the tounge hangs out and he eats it there is nerve damage, my girl (she is a pirate dog, in lots of wars) had a stick tounge incedent that means part of her tounge is now missing and hse cant feel it, when she eats a bone the tounge hangs out and she actually eats it, needless to say she does not eat bones after eating a good inch of her tounge once, jsut grose, her tounge is a very funny shape....

apart from the nerve damage to the tounge and the lack of ability to consume bones, she is fine and the tounge is not a hassle, she also has 4 teeth missing (seriously not my fault, i msut sound really bad, but its her fault not mine :eek: ) at the front and thats no prob either, in the wild dogs have the ability to snap teeth and not feel it, so charlie my dog has a few stubbs but no pain and the vets all say its not an issue, dogs have wild systems and can cope with alot of changes and physiological problems....

so odnt worry so much about that mouth, as long as he eats fine and drinks his share it should be right, but a check up would be good jsut to reassure you he is ok....

give him a scratch from me, he sounds like a lucky boy and a right jem of a fella... have fun