Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

can anyone help?

justncase
July 29th, 2005, 11:38 AM
I found this on another site. From the thread this cat has been moved three times and could be reacting this way from stress. Remove the stress and the cat could be/should be fine. The cat was fine before this woman took it. Can anyone step in here? I'm too far from where she is to intervene. Anything I can suggest that I haven't already to this person?( pm me if you want her email address) :

" I need some help here. I don't know if you all remember, but Sadie had a problem with rug poos. Then the BF and I split up, and the rug poos seemed to stop after I moved into my new place. Unfortunately they have started again, and to top it all of, she just peed on my leather couch as I was cleaning up the latest pile. From her behaviour and eating habits I really don't think she'll ill - I think it's just bad behaviour. The cat box is clean.

When we got her from the shelter, we were told that she had previously been adopted by two gay guys, who returned her because she scratched a $3000 piece of furniture. She has never scratched anything since she's been with us (me), so I am really tending to think that she has always had this bad habit.

I don't know what to do. I can't have this happening. I don't want to return her to the shelter because the poor thing will only repeat the cycle. She's beautiful and playful and affectionate, although she doesn't like to be picked up - she will tolerate being held on my lap for a couple of minutes. I really can't afford expensive treatments, but as I said I really don't think she's ill. My new apartment is already starting to stink, and I haven't even been here a month yet.

Can someone PLEASE offer some advice? I am getting so frustrated I am even thinking of having her PTS - like I said, returning her to the shelter will only continue her cycle of being adopted and returned which basically to me would be abusive for her - strange rationale but I can put up with a lot but not this continuing behaviour, so maybe for her sake it could be the kindest thing. I hate this "

justncase
July 29th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Sorry, should have added she lives in Brampton, Ontario .

badger
July 29th, 2005, 03:50 PM
What have you already told her? If the vet says she's healthy (did they check for worms?), I would start giving her Rescue Remedy, a herbal preparation which often works on anxious animals. Adding it to their water works well.

I would put down a second, covered litterbox in an all-new place, using different litter; clean the areas the cat has used in the past with that enzyme cleaner to get rid of the smell (which stimulates her to go there again) and if certain rooms are a particular problem, close them off for now. Perhaps change her diet (something without grains, which may overstimulate the system leading to ah, greater production). I would also spend more time with her, she's probably being shunned for not shaping up, cats pick up on all this stuff.

Another cat to hang with may also help, but I wouldn't move on that until the other issue is resolved.

Lucky Rescue
July 29th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Did you pass on the advice I gave you in PM?

justncase
July 29th, 2005, 10:49 PM
I did tell her that I thought it was stress-related too and eventually she agreed. She is taking steps to de-stress the cat's surroundings ( she has four cats) and as of today- it's been 24 hours and no accidents in the house. She's elated. I'm relieved.