Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Author

StaceyB
July 29th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Are there any published authors out there?

Prin
July 29th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Not me... :D Maybe one day. You?

StaceyB
July 29th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Not yet but working on it

Blaze01
July 29th, 2005, 10:15 AM
I was published in my school literary mag. four times...LOL...but I guess that doesnt really count :p

Dogastrophe
July 29th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Published in what way? I have a few research reports that have been published. Do they count?

Schwinn
July 29th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Not yet but working on it

Me too. Lost two novels when my computer crashed. Back-up is your friend...

CyberKitten
July 29th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Depends on what you mean by published author. I have published research articles in esoteric medical journals. And written newspaper and magazine articles - and speeches given by politicians, lol (some of which have been published in Hansard - like Response to the Speech from the Throne and that sort of thing). I'd call myself a writer and rsearcher in that vein tho, not an author. I do want to write amystery novel one of these days - maybe when I retire from medicine, (Like that ever will happen!)

Jackie467
July 29th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I have one poem published, but it was a fluke because I'm really not any good at poetry. It's the only good poem I ever wrote. I do want to write a novel one day. I have about a billion started but I always start them and then hate them so I start over. I'v been writing novels since I was 10. I used to love to sit in front of the computer and write stories. I have a bunch of short stories too but I'v never tried to publish anything but that one poem. I had it published 3 years ago when I was 17. I wrote it when I was 16 when a good friend of mine commited suicide. It was dedicated to him.

Prin
July 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Jackie, can you post it or does that violate something? I'd really like to read it.

StaceyB
July 29th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I had thought about writing an information/ help book a couple of years ago but never started it. About 2 months ago I decided to start and have probably about 1/5 of it completed. What I am interested in is what routes I need to follow when I finish it to get it published.

StaceyB
July 29th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Schwinn I am sorry you lost them, must have been heartbreaking to lose all that work. What were they about.

Rick C
July 29th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I was a journalist and columnist in my formative years, in the late 1970's/early to mid-1980's. . . . . so I was published lots actually, including the Globe & Mail.

Lately I have had a periodic column - of declining regularity admittedly -dealing with hockey matters at www.calgarypuck.com and a few of my esoteric theories have been spread around by the Globe and Edmonton Journal on various occasions.

And, of course, there is www.goldentales.ca where I am admittedly the author of Abby & Keeper's adventures, written for my god kids in Eastern Canada.

Next stop, a book. Probably. Some day. Maybe. Hopefully. :rolleyes:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

pamha
July 29th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Stacey.
My dad had a book published a couple of years ago. He had a professor at the local university proof-read it and give him advice about publishing. It was eventually published by the University of IL press. He didn`t make a lot of $$ on it, but it was very cool seeing his name on Amazon. It was a collection of articles on little bits of Illinois history.

Checking with a university press might be a good place to start for you. :thumbs up

Pam

StaceyB
July 29th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Thank you very much. It is a book that I am working on.

Schwinn
July 31st, 2005, 12:52 PM
Schwinn I am sorry you lost them, must have been heartbreaking to lose all that work. What were they about.

Without getting too much into it, the one with the most work was about a college hockey star driving home, and things that happened would flash back to memories of him growing up and the developing relationship with his grandmother, who he grew up with. It all started with a scene that popped into my head, which was to be the last paragraph of the book, with an older man holding onto the hand of a small child, looking at a grave stone. The headstone says "Margaret". The little girl looks up to the man and says, "Who was she Dad (or Grandpa, haven't decided)". "Someone very special." "Special like me?" "Yes Margaret, special like you". Then some sappy thing of them walking away. Basically, the man is an older version of the hockey star, the girl is his daughter or granddaughter, and Margaret was the grandmother. I don't know if it was good, but I think it was better than that made it sound.

I find most of my stories develop around a scene that pops into my head, whether it be the beggining, middle or end, then I write around that. I have about 6 or seven story ideas floating I haven't tried yet. My family is really pushing me to, and I had a couple of profs in University encourage me to pursue writing, but I've had a confidence problem with trying.

Anyway, sorry for being wordy. I was going to say I picked up a good book called "Dummy's Guide to getting Published". Check out the reference section of Chapter's.

CyberKitten
July 31st, 2005, 02:30 PM
Oh Schwinn - I cannot imagine losing all that work!! :grouphug: I always back up anything important tho I am not as good as I should be about some things.

Before the days if PC's, I had a word processor that almost insisted you backup everything to a disk. (It had no HD, just diskettes- the kind we no longer use, lol)

StaceyB
July 31st, 2005, 02:37 PM
Why not try a short story with the digest. See if they wil publish one, help with confidence. Your story sounded like movie material.

raingirl
July 31st, 2005, 02:44 PM
If you are interested in writing a novel and can't start, finish, or whatever, join

NANOWRIMO (National Novel Writing Month).

It's in November. The goal is to write a whole novel in one month. It has to be a 50,000 word novel.

It's designed to get people to write, and get novice writers heard, and just to get people off their butts and their minds working.

It doesn't have to be a masterpeice or anything. Just write write write until you are done. It's more like a writing exercise then anything. I was thinking of doing it this year. My friend has done it for the last few years. Really cleared out his head and improved his techniques etc. In Toronto there is a club for people who do it, and they have a party after it's all done, and if you want, you can give out copies or your work for others to read.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

CyberKitten
July 31st, 2005, 10:13 PM
Raingirl, I did just that - the Nov month. I wrote a 40,000 words plus novel (more like a novelette) about a Siamese cat. Wonder where I got THAT notion, snicker! A friend who recently published a novel (Pandemic) has put me in touch with his agent and I may rework it for Schaolastic. But I need TIME which is in short supply!!

I have actually published material in various political magazines - that kind opf thing and actually I do serve on the editorial board of a newspaper (family thing) so I write editorials and have written columns on women's issues, health, enviromental issues but that was some time ago. It is a committment to write a column a week when you are a not a ft journalist!!! Mostly tho, I've written some political speeches, lol