Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ex-police dogs

Puppyluv
July 28th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with adopting retired police dogs? My parents are looking at adopting one, and since "computer" is a foreign word to my mom, I told he I would do some online research while she did some offline.
To give you the basic idea... They currently have a 9yo Belgian Sheepdog (Groenendale) bitch, and thought that since they know about how much work this breed requires, it would be ideal for them to adopt another. They are looking at some retired police dogs, one is a 3yo who is retired b/c his legs broke, and the other is an 18 mo bitch, who never served. They both are being fostered by women.
The main questions are 1) do police dogs tend to be more aggressive/fearful/etc of men, since they are working mostly with men, umm yes that's the only really specific question, other than that, does anyone have any thoughts?
thanks

StaceyB
July 28th, 2005, 08:42 PM
I would find out where the breaks were on the 3 yr old. You may have a lifetime of arthritis. As for the 18 month old, I had a pup in class a few months back that was rejected from the program. She ended up sitting in a kennel for months w/o socializing when they decided not to use her. Ended up being a lot of very hard work getting her social.

Prin
July 28th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Mona would be the one to ask. She has one (if not more than one)...

happycats
July 28th, 2005, 09:11 PM
I know My Dad's friend gave him one (he never served because he was gun shy) I was to young to remember though :( My dad said he was a wonderful dog and great with us kids!! His name was Kenny. :love:

StaceyB
July 28th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Make sure your parents are willing to do the work that will need to be done in regards to training and socializing and are willing to be putting out the possible high amounts of cash for vet bills before making the decision which I am sure they will. The one I had in class is a sweetheart and a dog worth having but her parents had a lot of work to do with her. I think that it was 4 months that she spent in the kennel with very little interaction before she was adopted. Funny enough they rejected her because they said she wasn't aggressive enough. I guess they fixed that problem, and then sent her to a new home to deal with it.

Puppyluv
July 29th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks so much for the advice, One of the reasons my parents are looking at a police dog is because they are willing to put a lot of time/energy/work/money into it, and thought that a dog that needs that much should go to someone who is willing to stick it out, which they are. Also, they are no strangers to dog training, their current dog is a true alpha female and has been in training, well for the past 8 years. The only unresolved thing is that we don't know how the dogs will react to males (ie. My dad).

mona_b
July 29th, 2005, 09:41 AM
I have a retired Police Dog.

He was my brothers partner.The handlers have first choice if they want to keep their retired dog.But since I had Tron since he was 3 months old,and I trained him with all his basic commands,I told my brother that if for any reason he has to retire,I want him back.

Police Dogs,and I mean the ones who have served the K9 unit are fully trained.And they have been family members.When they are off duty,they are no different than your family pet.They know the difference between work and play.They are very socialized with people,dogs and children.This is a must in their inital training.I had to do this.These dogs should not be aggressive with people.And they will only give the retired dogs to experienced owners.

1) do police dogs tend to be more aggressive/fearful/etc of men, since they are working mostly with men,

If this was the case,then they would not be Police Dogs.They are not to show aggression.When training,the are not looking for aggressive dogs.These dogs go through SchH training.And they must pass their basic Obedience before going onto SchH training.

Here is my handsome boy..... :)
He's with other K9 Police Dogs.

heidiho
July 29th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Love Love Love That Picture...

Puppyluv
July 29th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks Mona!
By no means is this happening in a short time frame, so I'm sure a lot of the issues will be hashed out before any final decisions are made. Just knew I could count on the board for some advice!

StaceyB
July 29th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Was the one who had broke legs a working k-9. If so, it should be fine. As for the other, why was it rejected. All of the ones who are retired should be ok as Mona_B's was. The rejected ones were rejected from the program for a reason, find out why.

mona_b
July 29th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Your welcome.. :)

With the SchH training,there are 3 stages,SchH I (18 months),SchH II(19 months) and SchH III(20 months)

They MUST pass the I to continue on to the II,and the II to go to the III.They get titled for each one they pass.

SchH I = Tracking

SchH II= Obedience

SchH III= Protection.

All in this order.

Then the Police K9 training starts.Roughly 6 weeks of training.

What do you know about this 18 month old?

An ex Police Dog is only one that has served. :)