Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat won't use litter box.,

kderda
July 28th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Ever since my cat had kittens 3 weeks ago, she refuses to use the litter box. I was away for 4 days (my adult son was home with her) and while I was gone she dug up my plants and used that as her litter box., I have done everything I can think of, I even got a litter box and put soil in it. Now she goes in the corner where my plants were (I put the litter box there). What can I do to stop this. I'm getting quit desperate.

Lucky Rescue
July 28th, 2005, 03:19 PM
The first thing you must do when a cat stops using the litterbox is take her to the vet.

She could have a bladder or uterine infection that could be painful and is making her avoid the box.

kderda
July 29th, 2005, 12:20 PM
My cat urinates in the litter box but that's it. I do plan on taking her to the vets. Could she be doing this because she was so used to going outside when the weather got warm before she had her kittens?

Lucky Rescue
July 29th, 2005, 01:50 PM
If she was living outdoors and never used a box, you might try getting her a second box - one for pee and one for poop - since she's used to having a clean spot to go in all the time.

If she has no medical problem, you may need to lock her in a bathroom or dog crate with a large clean litterbox and her food, so there is no place to go but the box. This will hopefully train her to use it all the time.

StaceyB
July 29th, 2005, 02:07 PM
It is reccommended to have one more litter box than the # of cats in the house. You need to get rid of all the smells, use an enzyme cleaner. Seeing as it is fecal, you may also want to pick up a black light to find all the spots. Put tin foil over the soil in your plants. Some cats are very picky when it comes to a clean litterbox. If it is at all dirty they won't use it.

kderda
July 29th, 2005, 02:12 PM
My cat did not live outdoors. She just went outside a few times a day. She had always used the litter box before. I have 2 litter boxes in my house. Can you suggest a good cleaner to clean up any remnants of feces. Thanks. I'll also try keeping her in the bathroom for a day, but right now it is impossible as she is still nursing her 3 1/2 week old kittens.

StaceyB
July 29th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Simple solution, natures miracle. Set all of them up in the washroom.

Lucky Rescue
July 29th, 2005, 05:28 PM
A cat who always used the box and now does not needs a vet check.

How many litters has she had? Please make an appointment to get her spayed when her milk dries up. There are way too many kittens and not nearly enough homes.

kderda
July 30th, 2005, 06:48 AM
She had 4 kittens. She is just a small cat herself. I do plan on having her spayed as soon as possible.

CyberKitten
July 30th, 2005, 03:13 PM
When a kitty urinates inappropriately, she is sending you a message so firstly as Lucky noted, a vet check is essential! Make sure her litter boxes are clean and the rule of thumb is one box per cat plus one. She may be expetrieicing some post birthing medical iassues - and a vet check would be good anyway. She could havw a uri and associates the pain with her box.

But take her to a vet asap!

Good luck!!

edithck
August 1st, 2005, 05:12 PM
Both of my female cats have at one time or another shunned the litter box. A couple of lessons I learned include: keep litter box clean, buy a second one if more than one cat, invest in the LARGE bottle of Simple Solution, see a vet if it lasts more than a couple of days or your carpets are involved. Good luck, E.