Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Legal Advice Please

REVOL-ELDOOP
July 27th, 2005, 11:01 PM
We had a terrible experience yesterday at a "well-known" pet chain while having our standard poodle groomed.
We are already into $300 in vet bills and its only going to get worse...

Her eye is badly damaged and she also received razor burn on her genitalia and rectum...

I would like to know if anyone has encountered a problem where they required legal councel to get reimbursed for at fault expenses.

Also, if anyone knows of a specialty law firm in the Ottawa area, please advise.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers, Bill :sick:

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Place a complaint in with the head office of this company if it just the vet bills you want covered. If it is more you want seek out a lawyer, sorry I don't know of any. What happened to the eye?

Lucky Rescue
July 27th, 2005, 11:13 PM
I'm no lawyer, nor do I know any. Some quick suggestions (if you haven't already done this)

Take very clear, close up pics of your dog's injuries. Get a letter from your vet with his opinion as to what caused these injuries, and when they happened. Make sure you kept your bill from the groomer, with the date on it.

You could probably take this to small claims court and get it settled there.

Write a letter first to the groomer, with copies of the photos and vet letter and bill enclosed. Give a certain time limit for them to reimburse you. There is a special way you must word this letter of demand and it must be registered.

I"m sorry your dog was hurt.:(

REVOL-ELDOOP
July 27th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the support to you both...

Her eye is severely scratched, as they confirmed with some sort of solution and a purple light...we actually got to see the extent of the damage under the purple light with the white lights out...it was all over.

They said this is one of the worst cases they have seen yet.

They think there was prelimenary damage to the eye with the razor, but think that there is a possibility that when they "eye-washed" her eye after it got hair in it...or at least that was the explanation that the groomer gave my wife when she inquired about our dogs eye.??

She is on meds now...every 2 hours...all night :sad:

Thanks again for the advise...My wife has already contacted the actual location that did the work and was given a hard time...but I sent a letter to the head office today and I am just trying to prepare in case they they do the same.

Cheers, Bill

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 11:31 PM
If you don't mind me asking, canadian or american pet store? East end or west

Prin
July 27th, 2005, 11:36 PM
That is so horrible!! I hope you are successful in getting retribution. :fingerscr :grouphug:

Daizy
July 28th, 2005, 07:55 AM
The Law Society of Upper Canada have a Lawyer Referral Service:

www.lsuc.on.ca/public/a/finding/lrs/

Here is the speil on the page above, it costs $6 but it does provide you with a lawyer to talk to you about your case for 30 minutes - cheap really.

"You are buying your first home. You are drawing up a will or you are starting up a new business. And you need a lawyer but, you are not sure how to find one who deals with your issue. The Law Society's Lawyer Referral Service can help.

Under the law you have rights. And there may be times when you need to know them. For example, you're dealing with family issues, you've suffered an accidental injury, you're having problems at work and may have even been fired or laid off, or you're trying to help someone immigrate. The Law Society's Lawyer Referral Service can help.

For $6, the service will provide the name of a lawyer who will provide up to 30 minutes free consultation to help you determine your rights and options. You can access the service by calling:

1-900-565-4LRS (4577)"

REVOL-ELDOOP
July 28th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Head office has contacted me back and handled everything very well...
It looks like they are going to reimburse us for all current expenses and fax the vet a letter asking to directly bill them for all future invoicing until this is cleared.

Its looking like legal help won't be needed...but actions speak louder than words...so we will see.

Missy is getting better with the medication so far :thumbs up

In response.
Canadian Owned - South West area.

Cheers, Bill :fingerscr

pags
July 28th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Oh that's good news so far! I hope it works out. So sorry for the ordeal!!!

nymph
July 28th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Phew! Hope the little one is recovering.

Schwinn
July 28th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Head office has contacted me back and handled everything very well...
It looks like they are going to reimburse us for all current expenses and fax the vet a letter asking to directly bill them for all future invoicing until this is cleared.

Its looking like legal help won't be needed...but actions speak louder than words...so we will see.

Missy is getting better with the medication so far :thumbs up

In response.
Canadian Owned - South West area.

Cheers, Bill :fingerscr

I'm sorry to hear about her, but I am glad to hear that they are taking full responsibility. That is very refreshing. Best of luck.

Prin
July 28th, 2005, 06:32 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a kid in university would you? Universities have lawyers on staff to answer any and all legal questions-- if ever this does happen again (which we all know it won't).

I'm glad they are paying and the doggy is healing well. :)

susieqt
July 28th, 2005, 08:31 PM
The groomer should definitely pay for your vet bills if in fact the injuries happened while being groomed. I am a groomer myself and if anything happened to one of my clients while in my care I would pay right away. Thankfully, nothing has ever happened (knock on wood!). As far as the clipper burn on the testicle region, was your poodle very matted? Sometimes just putting a little bit of Polysporin from the pharmacy helps. Good luck.

susieqt
July 28th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Sorry, just realized you said your standard was a female, not a male, oops.

Sneaky
July 29th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Hi I just want to mention, that some of these large pet store chains,
not naming any names, hire just anyone to do the grooming (usually 15-17 yr olds who have never groomed a dog before).
I actually got offered a job doing pro grooming at one of these places
despite the fact my only experience is 4 times on my own Chihuahua!
Not a place I would get my dog groomed at.
Its better to look for local small time groomers who have lots of experience.
Its worth the couple bucks more.
I wish you and your dog all the best luck sorting this case out.