Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats and babies

lilith_rizel
July 27th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Ok, I wasn't sure where exactly this should go.

Yesterday I went into the nursery to check on Judith, when she was napping. I found her awake, and looking at our cat Spooks, sitting next he her in the crib!!! Now he is a very affectionate cat, and likes to sit close to her, when she is in her carseat in the house. I am wondering if he has just bonded with her, and wanted to be near her, or if I should really be afraid of this. This is the first time either of the cats have ever tried coming near the crib, yet alone go in it. As I am typing this, Judith is sitting on the couch with me, and Spooks is laying on the back, right above her. What do you guys think. He is declawed (like that when my sister had us take them for her) So scratching isn't going to be an issue........

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 11:40 AM
It sounds as if the cat really does like the baby, you would know if she didn't. They are not like people, they don't pretend.
I would keep the cat from going into the crib when baby is there. Many cats like to cuddle and a baby just isn't able to move out of the way or react if she can't get enough air.

lilith_rizel
July 27th, 2005, 11:46 AM
That's what I try to do. Normally, they don't even go in the room, unless I am in there, but he must have hid somewhere where I couldn't see him, when I left the room. I am glad that it is just him bonding. Still won't allow him in the crib though. I have heard of stories where cats smother babies like that. I was firghtened when I first saw him in there. I chased him out. Feel kinda bad about it now, because he just likes being around her.

pags
July 27th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I second what Stacey said. It certainly sounds like your kitty likes the baby quite a bit. But that's exactly why you should keep a close eye on these two and don't give kitty access to the baby's room/crib. In an effort to snuggle with Judith and keep her warm (sheer affection!!!) - Spooks could ultimately end up suffocating the baby.

The old wives tales about cats in cradles stealing the breath from babies... I don't know if you've ever heard that one... But it was out there. It was pretty wild but like most old wives tales and legend -- grounded in a tiny spark of reality... A snuggly cat is just as likely to suffocate a baby as a thick blanket, a loose pillow, or a stuffed toy... so we're not supposed to leave any of those in the crib with sleeping kiddo.

EDIT: Oh.. you were answering while I was answering!!!

Lucky Rescue
July 27th, 2005, 11:55 AM
While there are number of documented cases of parents smothering infants, either deliberately or accidentally (by rolling on them, leaving them on waterbeds etc.) there are no documented cases of cats smothering babies.

This is superstition and old wive's tales, probably started when a cat was found sleeping in the crib of a baby who had died from SIDS.

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Man, I can't even count the number of people I have met over the years that have cats that sleep on or around their head.

pags
July 27th, 2005, 12:06 PM
There are no documented cases of babies dying from sleeping on their backs or from having stuffed animals in their beds either... but when a baby dies from SIDS they make a lot of assumptions. The fact is they still don't know what SIDS is. The idea is that some infants (especially those who were premature) are not able to move out of the way or remove anything from their face which is interfering with their breathing.... And anything at all placed near the babies face could conceivably result in death. There's this huge panic here in the US about the whole thing... I get raked over the coals if medical personnel find out I wrap my babies in a blanket at bedtime. It's so bad that when I had my last baby at the hospital -- you could find her in the hospital nursery lying in a baby bed stripped of all bedding on a hard plastic mattress wearing nothing but a tiny paper diaper.... When one of my guests placed a soft rattle in the bed with her a nurse stormed the room demanding to know what irresponsible fool did such a thing -- the baby could suffocate!!!

Okay so maybe these medical people are a bit on the paranoid side... But if we are to freak out over a baby rattle... I'd guess it's best to keep a cat out of the crib to be on the safe side.

lilith_rizel
Lucky, I am glad to hear that there aren't any documented cases. My mom was so agains us taking in my sister's cats. She kept on telling me that Spooks LOVED to sleep on faces. I don't know how she would know, Spooks wasn't at my mom's that often. We have had the cats with us here, since April, and never once did he sleep that close. He likes to sleep on your chest or right beside you. I just wanted to make sure that it was ok to let him be around her, when she is in the living room. I am going to have to take a picture of the two together one day. Judith is currently learning how to pet nicely. :D

jessi76
Man, I can't even count the number of people I have met over the years that have cats that sleep on or around their head.

My little calico, Lulu, sleeps ON my head every single night.

Sounds like your Spooks has a new buddy... sweet!

lilith_rizel
July 27th, 2005, 12:14 PM
James and I are terrified of sids. The sheets we have for the crib, are a little too loose, so we don't even use the sheets, that much. I just wipe down the matteress everyday to keep it clean. At night, we put Judith in a sleeper, so she doesn't need a blanket. She is the only thing that is ever in that ever in that crib. Even though she is 7 months now, I still don't know if I would feel comfortable leaving a blanket in the crib with her. She does fine with one on the couch, so I will probably start in a few months, when the weather is cooler......

Thanks everyone. I am not as worried about this anymore.

Lucky Rescue
July 27th, 2005, 12:29 PM
IF you don't want cats in the baby's room or crib, you can do what my brother did, and put a screen door on the room until Judith is older! You can see and hear her, yet no cats can enter.:)

pags
July 27th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Hey lilith -- I can't tell you how terrified of SIDS I was. I was just reading my posts and realized I wasn't very clear (I was on the phone when I was posting...) Everything I've read about SIDS has honestly been inconclusive. The VAST majority of cases turned out to involve someone actually smothering the child.. on purpose ... Then there are the accidentals resulting from sleeping with the baby.. BUT those aren't documented as SIDS either....

Any cases which really don't seem to have any other explanation.. usually do. Most of the babies are premature and do not have fully developed respiratory systems. It only makes sense that something could happen spontaneously to their breathing in the middle of the night. My pediatrician told me that we should all just be careful until our infants can lift their heads on their own... And then stop scaring ourselves to death. :) He's a wise man.

Big HUGS to you and your husband. OMG I totally understand all the worry!!!!
:grouphug:

lilith_rizel
July 27th, 2005, 12:40 PM
IF you don't want cats in the baby's room or crib, you can do what my brother did, and put a screen door on the room until Judith is older! You can see and hear her, yet no cats can enter.:)

You know, that is a fantasic idea. I have to get permission from housing first, since we rent, and with James being military, we will probably just buy a used door that looks nice.

TRICIA81
July 27th, 2005, 03:19 PM
I Don't Know If You Have Read But My Cat Sasha Just Had Her Kittens A Few Days Ago. I Wrote A Whole Story On It. She Gave Birth To Six Of Them And Then 36 Hours Later Gave Birth To Another Which Unfortunately Didn't Make It. The Placenta Ruptured And Was Starting To Give Her An Infection. I Brought Her Into The Vet That Day Because I Didn't Know If She Had More In Her Stomach Either Because Her Stomach Was Still Big. But Just Where She Has So Many Her Uterus Hadn't Shrunk Yet. But The Vet Had To Put Her On Medication Because She Was Dehydrated And Had A Slight Fever. So Plase Take Your Cat To The Vet And Others On This Site Will Tell You The Same. My Story About What Happened Is On This Site. It Is Called The Miracle Workers, Please Read It And You Will Understand. If You Don't Take Her In She Couls Die As Well As The Kittens

lilith_rizel
July 28th, 2005, 10:44 PM
I think you may have my post mixed up with someone elses. The cat I am talking about is a neutered male. She was in the crib with my daughter. LOL. And our female is fixed as well..... No pregnant cats here........ :thumbs up But that is very good advise you gave none the less :thumbs up I am sure someone will read it, and be helped out. So don't worry about deleting it.............

lilith_rizel
July 28th, 2005, 10:48 PM
OOOPS, never mind I think I know why you posted that, just realized that there have been deleted posts. Guess I missed something yesterday....... :rolleyes:

Prin
July 29th, 2005, 12:55 AM
I think someone tried to hijack your thread. She had a white beard and a red pointy hat...