Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Friends

Cathrynoo
July 26th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Hi,

New here, I think it's a great site...

I have a Terrier Lab mix named Betty Sue about seven years old... she is a wonderful loving dog but does have jealousy issues... I have just been offered two loving Bassett Hounds, a pair of sisters, two years old... I would love to take them, but I am concerned... Can younger dogs be brought in and can they all learn to get along... if we are extra loving and attentive to Betty will she accept them... how long does it take for dogs to accept each other...my brother has five dogs and he is forever bringing home a new dog and everyone just seems to get along fine, but Betty has been alone for so long, we are hesitant...any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cathrynoo

Dog Dancer
July 26th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Welcome to the site, yes it's a great place to learn from. I'm certainly not an expert on bringing in new pets, but I have two dogs, one of whom is very dominant and fairly dog aggressive at times. We have recently introduced her to a new dog while my son and his girlfriend stayed with us with their dog. Their dog is smaller and very submissive. We took a few days to let them get each others smells around the house and slowly introduced them. It turned out fine and all are friends. But slowly is the key if it's to be done. I would suggest first introducing them on neutral territory and see how they react. If that goes well try meeting at home, and just work it up. It can be done but very carefully.

Lucky Rescue
July 26th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Some will get along, some won't. 3 adult spayed females could mean big trouble in fights for dominance.

I would be very careful.

Lissa
July 26th, 2005, 06:34 PM
I would be concerned about the two basset sisters kinda "beating up" on your one dog - which would be unfair since she was there first!

Could you set up a meeting at a park and see how things go?

I would make sure to introduce them on neutral territory - away from anything that any of the dogs might get possessive about...

Would your friend be willing to have trial period?

I think most dog's figure out a hierarchy that works eventually, sometimes its not pretty or the way YOU want it to go but it is necessary. I think that if you're patient and don't force anything, things will work out okay...

I know someone who owns 3 bassets and just rescued a lab...the bassets are so mellow that I don't even think they noticed the new addition (slight exaggeration of course!)

I really would suggest that you have these dogs meet in a park a few times, then if things go well, you could invite them over and see how things go. Hopefully, your friend will agree to a trial period, in case things really don't work!

Prin
July 26th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Have they met already? If not, I'd do some tests. First meet in a neutral place. Then, if the neutral place goes well a few times, then go over to your home. If that goes well a few times, then have her sleep over...

SarahLynn123
July 27th, 2005, 08:54 AM
One way that has always worked for us is to put all the dogs outside and put a wire crate in the middle of the living room with the new dog in it. We let all the dogs in and they can check each other out with protection, if things are going well after a while we will let the new dog out, if things are not going good then the new dog stays in there for a while longer. We have never had things go badly and we have brought in 2 new dogs and baby sat a dog for a weekend.

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 09:30 AM
This is one of the best options as well as possibly meeting at a park or go for a walk. What has your dog done to make you think she was jealous. Does she normally get along with other dogs.
If you do bring these dogs into the home, don't act any different than you normally do otherwise your dog will think that there is something wrong. Dogs often watch to see your reaction, if you don't there is a good chance that she won't either as long as she is usually social with other dogs.

One way that has always worked for us is to put all the dogs outside and put a wire crate in the middle of the living room with the new dog in it. We let all the dogs in and they can check each other out with protection, if things are going well after a while we will let the new dog out, if things are not going good then the new dog stays in there for a while longer.