Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What games do you play with your pit bull??

Luvmypit
July 26th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Hi guys,

I just wanted to stimulate capone more. Is it true that you shouldn't play tug of war with these dogs? Also I wanted to know if anyone knows how to make one of those spring poles, a homemade one? Or any other homemade games I can play with him?

Any other games that you can play in the backyard? I never let him off leash so I can ony really play the games in the backyard.

Thanks in advance!

Lucky Rescue
July 26th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Playing tug is great! It's one of my dog's favorite games. I start and end it, and she knows "OUT" as well. You can make a reasonably durable tuggy from an old pair of jeans with knots along the legs.

Springpoles are an excellent way to exercise pit bulls, if your dog would enjoy it. Some of them will hang for an hour.:p

Here are instructions on how to make and use one. Just be careful because in some places, springpoles are considered dogfighting paraphanalia. :rolleyes:
http://www.workingpitbull.com/springpole.htm

Here's my Chloe with her "tuggy face"!:p

Luvmypit
July 26th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Look at that face! I never get tired of seeing Chloe and that face. Too cute!

Thanks so much LR. When i got Capone I bought a book on pit bulls and it said never to play tug of war but the more I research the more it says that it is good to play it.

Thanks also for the link as I was searching and could not find any info on homemade spring poles.

Give Chole a kiss for me!

Schwinn
July 26th, 2005, 04:25 PM
I've been told not to play tug-of-war as well, because it supposedly gives them dominance issues. But if the dog ends it when I say, then obviously it isn't an issue. Not only that, Daisy REFUSES to play tug of war with the little kids. We never taught her that, she just sensed that it wasn't something she should do with them. Daisy also loves fetch and chasing each other around the house. Sometimes I'll lie on her toy and she tries to get it from me. Her favourite toys (out of the hundreds of dollars spent) are the great big sticks we find in the forest. She loves running around the back yard with them (my favourite time was when she saw a fallen tree and thought it was a big stick. If I didn't pull her away when I was finished doubling over with laughter, she'd probably still be there trying to get her mouth around the trunk!) Sometimes I'll armcurl her while she holds on.

heidiho
July 26th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I always heard that to about tug of war but only of your dog is somewhat aggressive to begin with..

Loki
July 26th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Personally, I don't think a backyard spring-pole is a good idea in Ontario - with Bryant's law being worded like it is. Between the undefined "menacing" clause, and the "illegal to train pitbulls to fight/attack" clause, I could see it posing a bit of a problem. It just seems like something that could very easily be twisted and used against you.

I keep getting flash-backs of the lady from the public hearing - that argued that pit bulls should be banned because she saw one jump up and bite a branch from a tree. I can picture someone making the same claim about a springpole.

Copper'sMom
July 26th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Oh you want to stimulate Capone?? Well if he came to live with ME, he'd be stimulated lots!!! LOL Handsome boy he is! :love:

Well, I play frisbee with Copper and Zoe(one at a time!). They absolutely love it! But I am fortunate to have acres of room behind my house. We have a run set up so the dogs are tied on a line in which they can run back and forth on.
We also play tug of war and like LR said, on MY terms. I start it and I finish it - and I always win too! :p

You could try Capone on a treadmill - if he'll go on it! My mom has one and I thought I'd try Copper on it, but he wasn't interested. I only tried once though. From what I've read, PB's enjoy the treadmill - it's good extra exercise!
You could play soccer with him. Copper loves soccer balls or basket balls. You could play with him on leash, but you had better run fast to keep up with him!! Or try kicking the ball back and forth between your feet, and have Capone try to take it from you. Here's a tip: Don't buy brand new balls!!!! Chances are, he'll put a hole in them! I buy used balls at second hand stores. They usually cost 2 or 3 bucks!

If you have access to a garden hose, a kiddie pool is great to play in as well! Put toys in the water - especially toys that sink, and watch Capone "bob for toys!" You could use an apple too, for an extra treat! Zoe is fascinated with water coming out of the hose. She won't leave it alone until the water is turned off!
If I think of anything else, I'll let ya know!! :)

pitbulliest
July 27th, 2005, 12:32 AM
This may sound SOOO untypical of a pitbull..but my pitty is a lazy bum...I literally have to put a rope into her mouth and FORCE her to play with me..she rather just lie around or roll in the grass...the most she'll do is run after a ball and HEAVEN forbid she bring it back..she's more like "hey...uhm, why don't you go get it yourself? What do I look like, a servant?"

However, she does get the occassional ZOOMIES... (thank god, I swear she's sooo lazy)...where she'll tuck her butt in and run around like a crazy freak..its so damn funny lol and good exercise..other than that though...lol forget it!

If any of you have any good tips or ideas on how to motivate the queen of laziness..please please PLEASE let me know...lol :fingerscr

bluntman
July 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Your pit sounds just like my new pit Mercedes,Pitbulliest. she would rather lay on her chair and get a belly rub than do anything else. But if I get her off the chair to go out with Zena, Zena usually has no problem talking her into a nice short game of tag, and then she's off to roll in the grass. I can throw balls all day for Zena and Mercedes, sure they will chase them, but there's no way they would ever consider picking one up and bringing it back to me.

Dag Sabot
July 27th, 2005, 12:25 PM
hehe thats funny. On the flip side, i am quite lazy. I find walking really borring. But i love to bike. Solution: Train your dog to heel to the bike (on leash). We have mastered this technique to a point that Thor knows when i intend to turn and stop. Caution: Do not let the dog run ahead of you! And do not attach his lead to your handlebars, (Hold on with one hand and with the other steer and brake.)
Otherwise its great excercise. A whole hour of biking around the neigborhood and 15 min. cool off at the doggy beach is all he needs for 8 hours of sleep till i get back from work to do it all over again!

edit: I still get pulled off now and then whe he sees a rat, cat or rabbit. Wear a helmet.

Lucky Rescue
July 27th, 2005, 12:40 PM
She loves running around the back yard with them (my favourite time was when she saw a fallen tree and thought it was a big stick. If I didn't pull her away when I was finished doubling over with laughter, she'd probably still be there trying to get her mouth around the trunk!)

LOL! Chloe LOVES to bite and beat up trees and dig up rotted stumps,which is quite helpful!

She LOVES to dig, and is ever hopeful that if she digs long enough and hard enough, there WILL be a rabbit at the end of it all.:p

She also spent a lot of time flattening a 4 foot high pile of branches that took me ages to gather and stack. Not so helpful. :rolleyes:

Luvmypit
July 27th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys! You've been as usual very helpful. I like the kiddy pool idea. I am sure he will enjoy bobbing his head. Capone also loves the hose and tries to "bite" the water when its coming out. HEs fascinated by sprinklers.

Last night I took his Kong and put it on a broom stick and held it out so he could jump and try to get it. HE was loving it.

capone loves branches and sticks. Sometimes if I pick one up he will jump to get it then carry it all the way home.

As for the bike ride...lol.. Dag Sabot I can just see you casually riding your bike and the next moment 5 metres from the path on your head. I heard that pits love this also.

Schwinn
July 27th, 2005, 03:15 PM
hehe thats funny. On the flip side, i am quite lazy. I find walking really borring. But i love to bike. Solution: Train your dog to heel to the bike (on leash). We have mastered this technique to a point that Thor knows when i intend to turn and stop. Caution: Do not let the dog run ahead of you! And do not attach his lead to your handlebars, (Hold on with one hand and with the other steer and brake.)
Otherwise its great excercise. A whole hour of biking around the neigborhood and 15 min. cool off at the doggy beach is all he needs for 8 hours of sleep till i get back from work to do it all over again!

edit: I still get pulled off now and then whe he sees a rat, cat or rabbit. Wear a helmet.

Obviously you aren't wearing clipless peddles! :) Someone asked me why I don't take Daisy riding, and I said one reason was because I didn't need to be pulled through the woods because I couldn't get unclipped when the lovalble dumb-dumb decided to chase some small woodland creature!

Copper'sMom
July 27th, 2005, 04:00 PM
STICKS are the best!!! Copper has destroyed many a young trees, shrubs and bushes at my Mom' s house! :p I find it funny, but my Mom doesn't! :mad: :confused: lol They plant something new, and it's the perfect height - at Copper's mouth level!!

LR, i know what you mean about the piles of sticks and branches! In away, they are helping me out because they turn it into mulch!!! :crazy:

Schwinn
July 27th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Is that bad for the dogs if they eat the sticks? I'll find Daisy in the back yard hold her stick with both paws and just chewing the ends off like a big ol' chocolate bar. Can she digest the wood properly? I don't think she's actually eating it, but I'm pretty sure some shrapnel is getting down her gullet!

babyrocky1
July 27th, 2005, 07:12 PM
However, she does get the occassional ZOOMIES... (thank god, I swear she's sooo lazy)...where she'll tuck her butt in and run around like a crazy freak..its so damn funny lol and good exercise..other than that though...lol forget it!

Oh my gosh, when I first saw Rocky do that I thought he was ILL! He does it all the time now, one of my friends who is a dog walker says only "pit bulls" do it. Does she dance around in circles on her but, but kind of like a rabbit????? :crazy:
I have been trying all sorts of new things with Rocky to figure out how to keep him engaged after the BAN. I heard all the bad stuff about Tug of war too, so never did it. When I found out the ban was coming I decided to try, but every once in a while he grabs his leash and tries to initiate the game! Including the "play growl" which doesnt impress passerbys in the least, so I dont do that any more. Luckily I have a loft apt. two floors so he likes to chase me up and down the stairs. Outside well ,Ive been trying to rollerblade with him but he doesnt really like it and Ive had to take more than a few dives LOL Now Im thinking of getting one of those three wheel bikes, no snickering Schwinn, hoping that he cant pull me over, complete with a trailer for when he gets tired. He still loves to retrieve his Kong the best though...Also for when your pitty has a sore paw or cant go outside you can hide things and get he or she to find itl I try to teach Rocky to find the keys cause Im always losing mine, but hes not that great at it unless I put a treat with them :pawprint:

kellyla
July 27th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Scwinn,my pittie,Boston,loves to chew on sticks he finds.He has eaten some pieces(darn thing is too darn fast for me to take it from him when he starts,tucks his butt up and off he goes,LOL)I just make sure that we check his stool to make sure that it is making its way out.
Boston also loves to play tug of war.But as others have said,we start and we finish it.He also fetches his Kong and bone but he lets us know when he has had enough by just lying down at our feet and just chewing it.Another game he loves is my husband will get down on all fours and Boston will put his front paws on his back and while chewing his Kong or bone,he will move with my husband hubbycrawls around the living room with Boston just on his back legs( I wish my legs looked as good as the dogs,LOL)
The kids have been trying to get him to jump through a hula hoop(right now he would rather just try to grab it.You can get those for a buck a the dollar stores.He also enjoys the hose(grabbing and jumping for the water)

Georgiapeaches
July 28th, 2005, 10:25 PM
If you have a lot of property I would suggest a spring pole. If not then try a flirt pole.
I play tug with mine or let them play tug together, and they love it. No dominance issues here. :)

ETA: Also, maybe buy one of those plastic kiddie pools and let them splash around in it. We have central air, so our two can get pretty snobby about not going outside on hot & humid days to run around. But they will jump right in the pool and play forever.

Wudjah
July 29th, 2005, 09:20 AM
My girl Jasmine, now 10 years old and still going strong, has a variety of games she likes to do both by herself and with us.

With us, her favourite game is tug with a big rope. We used to be able to swing her around on it! We ALWAYS end the game, simply because she would eat the rope if we let her continue to play with it! :pawprint:

She also likes to play fetch with anything you throw. With our other dog, a 2.5 year old pit bull mix named Riley, she plays chase/keep away. We throw a ball for him and then she chases him around the yard - I guess this is more his game because he loves to be chased and she gets mad when she can't catch him. Eventually she'll start cutting corners and ram him in the side so he'll be knocked off balance and drop the ball. :D

And the games she plays by herself are "kill the rock" or "eat the tire". She finds rocks in our yard and then effectively destroys everything around them. She pushes the rock underneath her with her front feet and then jumps on it and tears up the grass around it with her mouth. We do not allow her to do this but she keeps finding new rocks. We used to give her tires to play with too and she could keep herself amused for hours with them just by biting and throwing them. We stopped this when we figured out that she knew no difference of the tire on the ground and the tire on our vehicles. :eek:

Lucky Rescue
July 29th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Jasmine sounds incredible!! 10 years old and still a pack o' trouble. Good for her!!:)

kigaro
July 29th, 2005, 11:04 AM
i take her for long hikes, usually 2 hr hikes at least 4 to 5 times a week (on top of the little sprints to the part to go to the bathroom).

and my dog loves tug-o-war. it think if they are properly trained it's not an issue. my sweety will let go of anything no matter how stimulated when i give the command 'off'. then she will sit obediently and wait.

she also will drop her chew toys & lie on her side when my niece approaches to pet her.

she's so good.

jessi76
July 29th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Tucker is still a puppy, so enjoys just about anything, but his favorites are: the kiddy-pool with the hose in it. he likes to bite the bubbles as it fills up. the rope swing, he will actually pull and push us on it. we hung it FOR him, so he can hang from the rope, and play and bite, and do whatever, but it's still functional as a swing for people. we also have a huge sand pile in our yard, from doing some remodeling, and he likes to play "king of the mountain" on it.

kiddie pool tip: we got ours for free on the side of the road. someone was throwing it away. it was one of those plastic turtle "sand box" ones with a cover, we just cleaned it, and filled it with water. it's a bit more durable than the very flimsy "pool" ones.

Luvmypit
July 29th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Kigaro SOunds like you have an angel there. Maybe you can send her over to give some mannors to my dog. Capone is good with the neighbourhood kids. He lays down and rolls around on them and the grass.

I always hear kids all hours of the day saying Hi capone Hi capone. He gets so excited!

We don't have AC so I think the pool would be great. He has never been swimming but I want to take him. He loves water as far as I can tell. Will jump in the bath tub himself and sit down and wait. So the pool should be sooo fun for him.
I think I will grab one this weekend.

babyrocky1
July 30th, 2005, 10:35 PM
You guys are lucky your dogs like water, Rocky hates having a bath, I have to take him to those pet stores with the do it yourself dog washing stands and even then I need someone to help! Some times I just take him on to the balcony and pour water on him slowly and scrub! I tried taking hinm to a walk in beach-he loved that until he got up to his neck and then he would run out to the shore leaving me standing in the water like an idiot! I would like to find one of those "turtle pools" and see how he does with that, im also planning to take him to the beach at centre Island this summer with a few of his dog friends. We used to play kong with the three dogs, Rocky and two labs. We would throw the kong into the lake and then one of the labs would swim for it, Rocky would wait on the shore and the lab would give it to him, he woud run around in circle and give it back to me and the game would start again. Its weird how dogs can organize them selves to do these "co-operative" things. Rocky is usually very possesive of his kong but not so possesive that he would swim for it!

Lucky Rescue
July 30th, 2005, 11:59 PM
You guys are lucky your dogs like water

Not mine! Every time I give her a bath, she acts as though she is going to an execution.:p

She LOVES to go wading in the streams and ponds here, but only up to her belly and no deeper. And rain - I"m convinced she thinks pit bulls melt in the rain!

I did get one of those little kiddie pools for her during the recent hot spell - nothing could entice her to get into it. I believe she thought I was going to give her a dreaded bath and was taking no chances.
So now she has the biggest outdoor drinking bowl in the world. :rolleyes:

twinmommy
July 31st, 2005, 12:06 AM
I kid you not, my dog will go around puddles....EVEN THE SMALL ONES!!!

and she makes a big deal about it too..."eWW!! Water!! omigod, someone please carry me, EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" :p

Me and Kayla
August 1st, 2005, 12:26 AM
Kayla goes nuts for flashlights. I turn it on, and flash it on the ceiling and walls, up the stairs, down the stairs....She will follow the light, trying to catch it. Only downside to this....she has killed a few flashlights, and we have to keep hiding the good ones in places where she can't see them. If she sees me put it in the closet, every time she is in a playful mood she runs to the closet and looks up at the ceiling then starts barking until we either move it or play with her.

She always wins at tug of war, so I don't play that game often.

Has anyone tried agility training with their pitties?

Kayla and Me