Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flea's, Tick's, and heartworm in BC

SarahLynn123
July 26th, 2005, 12:39 PM
We are going to Comox British Columbia the end of this week and I am wondering about Flea's, Tick's and heartworm in this area and the area's we will be driving through. (Leaving from Calgary) We dont have to vaccinate for heartworm here and flea's and ticks are very very rare.

Does anyone know anything about these area's and should I take all the dogs to the vet for some revolution before we go (I think thats what its called)? We will be there for 10 days.

Thanks!
Sarah

Prin
July 26th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I don't know how bad the bugs are there, but I don't think I would do anything other than consistently keeping my doggies inside during dusk and dawn.

But maybe there's a heartworm epidemic in BC I don't know about, so we'll wait for the others to weigh in.

Lucky Rescue
July 26th, 2005, 12:52 PM
IF there are mosquitoes where you're going, you need to give your dog a heartworm pill when you get home. It's retroactive, so will kill any microfilaria picked up in the previous month.

StaceyB
July 26th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Could you please do something for me. I would greatly appreciate it. My dad built a house many years ago - < edited> I loved that house and would really like to see what it looks like now. If you are going into Courtenay would you be able to take a pic for me.

Thanks Stacey

StaceyB
July 26th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I am not sure about the heartworm but there were many ponds in the area with standing water. I would go online, find a vet in the area and call to see what the area is like for those concerns.

SarahLynn123
July 26th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all the info, I never thought of calling a vet! Due to the heat there the dogs will only beabe to go for walks really early in the morning and late at night and we will be staying very close to a heavily wooded area. I will do some more research and call some vets.
Thanks again!

Stacey I sent you a pm.

Sneaky
July 26th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Hi Sarah,
I live just 40 minutes south of Comox, and I can tell you,
The fleas and ticks here are horrible!
I am not sure about heartworm, but I have my Chihuahua on Revolution
because it treats fleas, ticks, and heartworm.
I would do a months of Revolution, espescially if you are going
to be camping. We went camping in Comox 2 years ago and the dog had 6 ticks during the camping trip.
Hope this helps you!

SarahLynn123
July 26th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Hi Sarah,
I live just 40 minutes south of Comox, and I can tell you,
The fleas and ticks here are horrible!
I am not sure about heartworm, but I have my Chihuahua on Revolution
because it treats fleas, ticks, and heartworm.
I would do a months of Revolution, espescially if you are going
to be camping. We went camping in Comox 2 years ago and the dog had 6 ticks during the camping trip.
Hope this helps you!

:eek: Thanks for letting us know! I called my vet and we will be heading over there for a dose of revolution. They said to come back in 30 days for another dose to prevent heartworm. Better safe then sorry! We will be staying in a house but very close to a wooded area.
Thanks again for sharing your hands on experience!
Sarah