Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Advice - Found Cat

RothyCat
July 26th, 2005, 09:11 AM
:confused:
One of my cats has been missing since October 2002 and every once in awhile, someone will have a 'found' cat who matches his description and I still check the Ottawa Humane Society and local shelters & rescue organizations when there's a cat that matches his description. I just never want to completely give up hope in finding him. He was my baby (favorite cat if I had to pick one) and I miss him more than anything.
I recently put a post on here because of a cat hanging around my parents place....they have a 'found' cat and had put a found ad in the newspaper (he's going to the Queensway-West Animal Hospital in Kanata today to live there as their 'clinic cat')...anyway, I saw another found ad in the newspaper matching my lost cat's description.
A woman in Kanata has been feeding this cat....it comes by her place every night between 9-11pm.....it seems to have an eye infection.....
My question is this....If we were to trap this cat in Kanata and he turns out to not be my missing cat, what should I do with him? I would feel guilty just letting him go in the condition that he's in (eye infection, possible other health problems)....I could pay to have him neutered, but that gets expensive if I did that with every cat that was found, and I can't adopt him because I live in a small apartment with 2 cats already and my parents own and look after 15 cats already (responsibly, these cats are altered and go to the vet when necessary).....will a rescue organization take him? Is that the responsible thing to do?
Thanks!!!
Maggie Barron
maggie.barron@elections.ca

Lucky Rescue
July 26th, 2005, 09:33 AM
If you trap him, a rescue organization might very well take him. If he's feral, they might treat, neuter and release him, if there is decent shelter in the area where he is, and if he can continue to be fed.

YOu can find Ottawa cat/feral cat rescues in this list:

http://ottawastart.com/pets.php