Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

11 yr old cats, excessive meowing

BRAT8670
July 26th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Please help!! I don't know if something is wrong or if it's just a phase. Two of my cats, Ralph (male) & Sadye (female), turned 11 years old this past July 4. And about a week before, out of nowhere, they start meowing constantly, day and night. Our bedroom door is left open so they're not trying to get in, but Ralph, especially, will sit in the hallway at night & just meow. I'll call him to come into the bedroom & even if he does, when he leaves, he meows. It's not like a typical meow, it's more like they're "crying". It kind of sounds like a howl at times, like when a cat is in heat. But they've not done it before. I'm just worried that their time is running short & I've had them since they were babies. And during the day, they'll come up to me or my husband & lay all over us, stare at us & meow. Ralph will sit on you, if you move to the other side of the couch & let him sit where you were, he'll follow you to the other side & lay on you. It's not like him. Could someone help me out please?

BMDLuver
July 26th, 2005, 07:51 AM
I would suggest having a vet check them out to make sure it's nothing serious. It could just be the beginnings of dementia?

chico2
July 26th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Both cats are meowing constantly for no apparent reason??
Are they spayed/neutered??
Since both are behaving this way,a vet-visit is a must..
BMD,Dementia??? I am sure you know what you are talking about,but I've never heard of Dementia in 11 yr old cats,especially two..there obviously is something bothering them though.
11 yrs is far from old age in cats,one of mine is 10yrs and still at times behaves like a kitten.
Eliminate any disease by taking them to the vet...then anything else that might be bothering them,any BIG changes in their routine??

BMDLuver
July 26th, 2005, 08:31 AM
BMD,Dementia???
It was just a suggestion. I had a 9 year old cat that used to go and get himself "lost" in our home. He would howl and stare off into space. The vet suggested dementia as his health history as a kitten was terrible and he couldn't find anything physically wrong with him. :o

mona_b
July 26th, 2005, 09:01 AM
I would definately have them check them both out.Just to be on the safe side and make sure there are no health issues... :)

Have there been any changes in the house?

I have heard that animals can sense things we can't.

Katze
July 26th, 2005, 09:36 AM
I have a couple of cats who will howl at me when there has been a change to their food which they don't approve of. Once it was because I switched them to a wholesome "organic" dry food which they initially enjoyed, but unbeknownst to me went bad in a short period of time even in a sealed plastic container. I would fill up their bowl with fresh food and at first "minnie" would refuse it, and gradually over a few days the less finnicky ones started refusing it . There was lots of howling and whining going on at all hours until I figured out what was going on , and got them another food and returned the "organic" one.

chico2
July 26th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Another thing,they could be hearing things you don't hear,like once in our case..mice in the attic,or in the walls,something might just be scaring them and they have excellent hearing.It's strange that both are behaving this way.

badger
July 26th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Is Ralph the dominant one? If so, the other cat may simply be copying him. Very strange. Ghosts?

Lucky Rescue
July 26th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Any sudden change in behavior should be checked out. 11 year old cats are not old by any means, but there could be some physical problem - maybe impaired vision or other medical condition.

My feral momma cat does that same yowling (like a cat in heat) if she finds herself alone and can't see my other two cats and she is only about 4. But she has always done this, unlike your cats.

My last cat started doing this as well, but he was 18 at the time, and I do think it was because he forgot where he was.

Definitely take them to the vet.

BRAT8670
July 27th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Thank you all so much for your help. I've never posted anything before & didn't think I'd get any "help".

Anway:
BMD...what is dementia & how would I know the beginnings?
Chico2...Both are meowing for no reason. There have been no changes in their routines. I know 11 isn't old, but they're all different so to one it could be old & another it's not...like people, maybe?
Mona_B...no changes in house.
Katze...I haven't changed their food at all. I only feed them varieties of Meow Mix & the food disappears, so I don't think that's it.
Badger...Ralph is not the dominant one. We have 4 cats: 2 are 11yo & 2 are 5yo. We really haven't seen dominance in any of them. The male gets along with all 3 females; the 11yo female only gets along with her brother; the other 2 females get along with each other. Ghosts: I'm not thinking so, only because we've been in this house for 5 years & nothing until the beginning of July, end of June.

Again, thank you all for your help. What do I tell the vets? Just that they're meowing excessively? I don't want to sound like a total paranoid cat woman.

BMDLuver
July 27th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Here's an article which might interest you. http://www.vetsoftware.com/acvc2002-virga4.htm

A lot can be as a result of medical problems so going to the vet is the best bet. Some of the quesions on this site may guide you at your vet visit. :)