Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for a roomate

Rottielover
July 25th, 2005, 08:16 PM
I will be looking for a roomate as of NOV 1. My BF is leaving, and I can not find a place that will allow a dog. If anyone knows of someone, I can accept One crate trained dog. perferably a female. I prefer a female roomate non smoker, or does not mind smoking outside. has to love dogs, and kids. Free roam to the house fridge stove, washer dryer. I do not have cable....If cable is wanted, under their name. Phone use as well.
It is a huge townhouse with a small backyard. 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bathrooms. Finished basement. Underground parking....... Please if anyone wants to know more please feel free to contact me.....I do not want to loose this place. And if I can help someone else out keep their dog too, that's great.

melanie
July 25th, 2005, 09:49 PM
just out of interest why does a potential roomies dog need to be crate trained?? my dogs not and she is perfect and would never touch anyones stuff.. if a roomy came with a dog not crate trained but trained normally would you change that request?? perhaps instead yo ucould stipulate if it is trained normally and not in a crate that they pay a small bond like $100 for any damage and will get it back when they move....jsut an idea

also put flyers up at your community colleges and such and at the local shops, jsut screen them well and you will be fine...

glad to hear you may not have to move

dogznfish
July 25th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Well, I'm not in need of accomodations being way over here in Alberta but I wanted to suggest a few things for you to think about before you rent, especially if you are willing to accept a dog. I've rented out my basement in the past and here are a few things I've learnt

-Ask for at least two references and make sure you do contact them and talk to them.
-Specify that they MUST MUST MUST have tenant insurance. If something happens you do not want to be taking the fall for it, financially or otherwise (almost had this happen)
-Emergency phone contact for family in case of injury or takes off and dumps all their stuff on you without paying (had that happen)
-Something on paper clearly stating any out of bound areas or limitations, such as smoking outside as you mentioned.
-House rules on paper regarding Harley, are they allowed to give him treats, take him for walks, etc.

Good luck in your search! There are so fwe places willing to rent to someone with a dog that I'm sure you will have no problem finding a room mate, it's just finding the right one. Be picky if you can.

Deanna

Prin
July 25th, 2005, 11:36 PM
You can post at the universities too, if you don't mind a younger roommate.
You can place an ad in the Gazette.
You can tell all your friends, and try to get it around by word of mouth.
Definitely try John Abbott. When West Island kids move out, they rarely go far the first time. :D

Blaze01
July 26th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Good Luck!