Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question on Shar Pei

kandy
July 25th, 2005, 10:33 AM
My son just adopted a Shar Pei puppy. She is about 10 weeks old (we think). I have never owned a Shar Pei, nor do I know anyone who has. The pup seems to be healthy and is going to the vet today for vaccinations which we don't think she has ever had. :mad: She was apparently abused, and she has a few scars that indicate this as well. She has some aggression issues with other dogs, so its a good thing that the newfs are pretty laid back. We'll be working on that! She is small enough that Parker could bite off her head in one bite! :eek:

Here's my question, she has fleshy sections on either side of her tongue - almost as if they are part of her tongue or under her tongue. I can't tell if they are swollen lymph nodes or what. Is this common for this breed? My son didn't do any research on this breed before he got her, he just felt so bad that she was in an abusive home that he took her in. I've done a little research for him but I can't find anything about this. He will be asking the vet about it, but I don't know how much experience she's had with Shar Pei's. Thanks! :)

Lucky Rescue
July 25th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Don't know anything about the tongue. I'm sure the vet will be able to say if this is something normal or a problem. Shar peis can also have problems with their eyelids turning under and sometimes need surgery for this.

Socializing her with tolerant older dogs is a good thing. They can help teach her manners without hurting her. Shar pei were bred for guarding, hunting, dog fighting, and for the dinner table too.:(

Shar peis can bond intensely to their owners, and often are suspicious of strangers, so when the puppy is healthy, she should be taken to all kinds of places and meet many people and other dogs. This may help later on.

This breed can be very stubborn and difficult to train to do anything, and they need a firm but kind hand. I suggest your son do as much research as possible and enroll in an obedience class with a trainer who understands this breed.
Hope all goes well!!:)

kandy
July 25th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I found the thing about the eyelids during my research, and about their aggression issues and also about a condition called FSF (Familial SharPei Fever) which is hereditary. Apparently the breed was inbred so much that they started developing some strange health issues. The only thing I could find about the tongue was that it is supposed to be black or purple and if it's pink - the dog would be disqualified in show. Lexie's tongue is black but she won't ever be a show dog anyway. I did find a thing about pinched nostrils and I wonder if she has that because she does snore and snort.

I agree that Lexie is going to need some good obedience training. I can see where her aggression towards other dogs could be a major problem when she gets bigger - and even now if she picked on the wrong dog. She gets right in Parker's face and starts growling and barking at him if he's got a bone or a toy or something she wants. If that was any dog but a newf, she'd have lost her head by now. :eek:

Lucky Rescue
July 25th, 2005, 05:04 PM
If that was any dog but a newf, she'd have lost her head by now

Most adult dogs, regardless of breed, won't harm a tiny puppy. Some may be more forceful when correcting the puppy, but are careful not to bite or harm them, even if the puppy screams like it's being killed.

Usually a few good corrections from a sensible adult dog go a long way to changing the pup's behavior.

This puppy may have been taken from it's mom way too early and never learned how to "be a dog".

Wudjah
July 25th, 2005, 05:41 PM
My family had a shar pei when I was a teenager. She had FSF&SHS (swollen hock syndrome) and ended up being euthanized at age 5 for amyloidosis/kidney failure. She also had entropian (turning in of the eyelids) and seborrhea (a skin condition). Back then little was known about the breed and her breeder got out of them really quick after all the problems starting cropping up. I cringe when I see shar pei puppies for sale from unreputable sources - I remember the heartache that my family went through with Korbi and do not wish that on anybody. The only thing "right" about her was her temperament - extremely devoted to her family and aloof (not aggressive) towards strangers.

Good luck with the puppy...I hope she's not going to be affected by all of the diseases and disorders that can come with the breed. I will definetely echo what Lucky said by saying get her out and socialize her now, especially with other dogs. A shar pei will never be overly friendly towards strangers, but you have the chance now to make sure she's not aggressive towards them either.

Oh, and the tongue - I don't remember what Korbi's tongue looked like but I think I know what you mean...my pug puppy also has these fleshy sections on both sides under her tongue. I'm thinking it's just normal in the flatter faced breeds.

kandy
July 27th, 2005, 05:28 PM
The vet said that her tongue was normal, so that's good. From what I've read, if they come from a 'good line' then they have a smaller chance of getting the FSF. The only way I can see to even monitor for it is to take her temperature every single day and if it's higher than normal, then off to the vet. There is a drug that they can give them to control the FSF, but it isn't a cure and eventually the fevers will cause the organ failure that is normally the cause of death for SharPei's with FSF.

I've also read about the aggression issues and have given my son a couple of printouts of articles that I found. I do think that she was taken from her mother way, way too early - as we think she is about 9-10 weeks old and this is her third home. My son is supposed to be getting her papers from the original owner, so I'll be able to get an idea of how inbred she is and at least then we'll know how old she is. As far as we know, the puppy has never been given any of her vaccinations (she got her first ones on Monday). He has been socializing her with people quite regularly, and although she doesn't run right up to everyone like the newfs do, she will go check them out if they stand or sit still for a few minutes. The only aggression she has shown is to the newfs. She hasn't been around a lot of other dogs yet, and won't be until she gets her full round of vaccinations.