Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Judge the puppy has watery eyes

pags
July 25th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Hey all. I've got a bunch of errands to run today but I thought I'd throw this out there before I leave for the day...

Judge and I have another vet checkup appointment to schedule for later this week - but in the meantime I was wondering what you all think. For the last couple of days his eyes have been watery and watering, even. I've been wiping the tear streaks off his face every couple of hours. Both eyes but no icky discharge.. just clear and watery. They don't look bloodshot either.. and it doesn't seem to bother him at all... He just looks like he's been crying.

What could it be?

kandy
July 25th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Could be allergies or some other irritant in the air. I would definitely ask the vet about it when you go. :)

pamha
July 26th, 2005, 10:19 PM
This may be off the wall, but our older dog has eyelashes that turn in. She always looks like she`s been crying. It doesn`t seem to bother her, but we have some drops to use that help a bit. It didn`t start until she was about 10, so while there is a surgery that can fix it, we decided not to stress her at that age. Little did we know she`d still be with us for another 3 years and still kicking.
Just a possibility to check out.
Pam

pags
July 27th, 2005, 10:32 AM
This may be off the wall, but our older dog has eyelashes that turn in. She always looks like she`s been crying. It doesn`t seem to bother her, but we have some drops to use that help a bit. It didn`t start until she was about 10, so while there is a surgery that can fix it, we decided not to stress her at that age. Little did we know she`d still be with us for another 3 years and still kicking.
Just a possibility to check out.
Pam

Ah thank you Pam -- this is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for when I posted this!! Often the vet is rushed and distracted when we go for regular visits... So I like to have specific things to ask about to keep him around long enough to put some thought into things. This reminded my husband of the cocker spaniel he had when he was little -- she had the same problem with the eyelashes.

Thanks again!! We'll be at the vet's this Friday.

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I have the same options as the others mentioned. Inverted eye lashes, allergies, some foreign object, try washing out the eye. Also clogged tear ducts. Your vet will let you know for sure what is going on. If they don't have discharge it usually isn't an infection, but I am not a vet.

Luba
July 27th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Geeze Pags could be a number of things like those mentioned

Pls let us know what you find out!!

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Re: Judge the puppy has watery eyes

You don't have to call me Judge, Prin is fine. :D

Do you have an update? I'm curious of what the vet suggested. :)

pags
August 6th, 2005, 09:43 PM
LOL Prin. Thank you, your honour!

I'm so sorry I forgot to update. I did intend to .. I did! But I've been so obsessed with the possibility of going into labor -- no matter how remote that possibility may be -- that I just can't seem to focus on anything else. Imagine that! :o

Giggle. Anyway - I had a relatively short vet's visit last Friday because the doctor had some unexpected something in his schedule and couldn't stay for much of a consultation. He said that it certainly doesn't appear to be anything like the turned in eyelashes, etc... but looks more like an allergy at this point as there's no outward indication of infection and he wasn't running a fever. At the time I took him in his right eye was also bloodshot - something I had not noticed before. He told me to try Benadryl for the week and keep notes on when I notice it is running and when it's bloodshot.

But now that you mention it - I realize that I had intended to make a followup appointment for this week and this week is now officially over. ARGH. I'm soooo befuzzled over here at the moment with kids going back to school and babies not coming on cue. I'll call Monday morning and schedule again...

BUT here's what I noticed...
Neither eye runs when he's been inside for the longest periods of time.. for example, during the night.
His right eye will run after we play outside when it is not wet (rare these days as we've had lots of rain this week).
Both eyes will end up running if he plays outside for a longer period -- like say an hour or so.
The benadryl is horribly ineffective and seems to send him into hyper puppy mode faster than usual.

So I've got a feeling he's allergic to something back there in the yard. Also with all of the rain we've been having it could have something to do with mold or something? In any event -- I actually greatly appreciate the reminder and I'll see if the vet has some better ideas when he has the time to sit and talk to us. Hopefully I really will get to go in next week -- but this baby-waiting thing has EVERYTHING up in the air. Puh. :D Keep me on my toes, will ya?

Luba
August 6th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Any spray on the lawn?

pags
August 6th, 2005, 10:15 PM
No, Luba - never. BUT I'm wondering about the mosquito trucks!!! That's definitely something that comes more often with the rains... and I desperately hate that stuff. I never ever bring Judge (or anyone else) out any less than two hours after the truck has passed... but we all know it isn't like the garbage they spray is GONE by then... So I wonder?

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Do you have a pollen report for near you? It's easier to rule out pollens when you know which pollens are when. But it would be weird if it was pollens, because usually, the allergies won't go away in the house because there is always some pollen floating around...

pags
August 7th, 2005, 11:36 PM
You know Prin - I had never checked for pollen reports before. Very interesting stuff. Yesterday the grass pollen was very high for my area. So today I checked at weather.com and lo and behold there's a pollen alert for my area today and apparently forecast for the next few days. I'll keep checking this stuff and see how it relates to how Judge handles his outside romps. Thank you for the tip, Prin.

I dunno if it has anything to do with anything - but at least one of my kids has been an allergy sufferer forever and we abhor constantly keeping him on medication.. So we have three ionic air filter things in the house - the hepa filters on the central a/c units - and the hepa filter rated vacuum bags... and I vacuum constantly. Once we did all of this we managed to get his sniffles under control... Now HE only has problems when he's been at school all day. :p But no more waking up congested, etc. So maybe just maybe we've managed to keep some of the indoor pollen under control.. enough to help Judge when he's inside?

Luba
August 8th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Ohhhhhhhh ewwwwwwwwweee you're getting fogged on with pesticides

OH pags I'm so sorry to hear that!!! UGH

The pesticides are ten times as deadly as the friggen mosquitos but having said that you're in swamp land critters must be huge!!

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 04:04 AM
It could very well be that the air has less particulate matter inside the house than outside. If your son's allergies subside inside, there is no reason that Judge's won't, if it is indeed seasonal allergies that he has.

doggy lover
August 8th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Oh pags why would you want to fixate on labour, yuck, I had both of my kids natural and wouldn't want to go there again. Think of nice things like puppies, kitties and flowers. Good luck, when it does happen let us know we will be there for ya.