Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Help!!

sewinglady
July 25th, 2005, 12:50 AM
:sick: I have an 8 year old mini poodle. He has been in good health until recently. About two weeks ago, he started acting strangely(reverting back to puppy behavior). Last week, he started showing signs of severe pain. He will be fine and then all of a sudden he will start yelping and running around with his back arched high, holding his right front leg off the floor and biting at his rear. He has started snapping at our family and has actually bitten a few times. We took him to vet, but when we got there he acted like he was fine and the vet could not find anything wrong with him. The vet gave him prednisone and an antibiotic. It is breaking our heart to see him in so much pain so if anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Shamrock
July 25th, 2005, 01:27 AM
From what you've described, it seems something is certainly bothering your dog. What was the antibiotic for? Were xrays done, or any blood work?

I dont have any ideas on the problem, I'm afraid, but would certainly suggest taking him back to the vet so that the cause of these symptoms may be addressed.

If you are not satisfied still, I'd reccomend another vet for a second opinion.

Good luck, I hope your little guy gets some relief soon.

sewinglady
July 25th, 2005, 03:34 AM
the vet said he was putting him on the meds in case it was an infection or something. he said that if he was not better by the time the meds are finished then they would run tests and do x-rays.

justncase
July 25th, 2005, 09:54 AM
It sound like it could be a pinched nerve somewhere in the region of the spinal area. A vet experienced in chiropractic for pets(www.chiropracticforpets.net) and/or acupuncture(www.ivas.org) may be of help.

SnowDancer
July 25th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I would want the X-ray immediately.

mona_b
July 25th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I would definately not wait to have xrays done.Were any blood tests done?

I do know that in smaller breeds,they tend to have disc problems.This seems to be common in Poodles.

Mention to the vet you want the xrays done ASAP.

sewinglady
July 27th, 2005, 12:31 AM
We took Oscar back to the vet and he could not find any physical reason for the pain. The pain had gotten really bad and nothing was helping so we decided the humane thing to do was end his suffering. What I want to know is how to deal with the loss. My mom is taking it really hard.

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 01:14 AM
Oh, I am so sorry.

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Would it have been possible that he swallowed something that was now stuck. Were bowel movements regular. Did the vet end up doing any of the tests. Blood, x-rays etc.